PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
If I had to keep one of my cobs (I have every shape currently available), it would probably be the Diplomat 5th Avenue or what some call the Kolonel. It's a good size, has a classic look and comes with a (slightly) upgraded bit. The finish leads to some really neat and rustic looking cell darkening too.
Customizations etc., excluded, what is your favorite Cob and why?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Mark Twain. Like the shape and like the size, big enough, but not oversized. Just right. Use with a Forever Stem. The MM description is spot on
"Our Mark Twain Corn Cob Pipe is a NEW design featuring a Dublin style bowl. It is an addition to our series of large, premium pipes. As such, it holds enough tobacco for a smoke long enough to take the cares of the day away. This pipe has a genuine, hardwood insert in the bottom of the bowl."
Length: 5.75 in/146.05 mm
Bowl height: 2.125 in/53.975 mm
Chamber diameter: .75 in/19.05 mm
Chamber depth: 1.625 in/41.275 mm

May 4, 2015
I JUST got my Mark Twain last week. It was the last pipe to round out my collection. It's a great pipe. Much beefier than I thought it was going to be for some reason. I'm thinking I maybe should have gotten a bent, but the look of a straight Dublin (I guess you'd call it that) cob just does it for me.
Edit: I guess they DO call it a Dublin. Right on.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have also used Aristocob replacement stems which defilterize the Mark Twains and until Old Log Cabin Pope Works goes live again with the Forever Stems, this is the best options in my opinion
http://aristocob.com/FREEHAND-Black-Non-Filtered-Vulcanized-Rubber-Replacement-Bit-P664766.aspx

Jun 4, 2014
My favorite cob is my straight Country Gentleman. It has a good sized bowl and always smokes cool and dry. One of my favorites blends to smoke in it is ODF ready rubbed, seems to taste sweeter when smoked in my CG.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
5th Avenue with a 1½" nosewarmer stem. Pipe holds the "right" amount of baccy and with the stem its easy to clench but still long enough enjoy as a regular pipe.
Fr Tom has been drilling out the bowl of his cobs and that is something I still need to do. I had a couple of 5ths that had wider bowls and they were the best smokers. I feel he's on to something! If so, I bet a drilled out Washington with a nosewarmer stem will be the ultimate cob.
IMG_20160423_121855110.jpg

May 4, 2015
The Country Gentleman is a sharp pipe. I find the walls a little thin on it though for it to be my true favorite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My MM reverse calabash. Huge bowl on a pipe small enough to stick in my shirt pocket. What's not to love? Just received one of their Dagner designed pokers. Haven't smoked it yet, but man that thing is tiny!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have few, but one is my favorite. It was the slow smoke pipe used for the Chattanooga pipe show. It's a Kolonel that I had a forever stem added and love it. I want a Dagner as well.

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
I only have legends and a cobbit wizard. but i definately like my legends the most. the bowl is small for a quick smoke, their cheap and fun to experiment with, and my cobbit churchwarden stem fits them perfectly.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I like the Pride because of the natural bowl. It smokes cooler then the standard bowls no matter how hard I puff. I also like how light it is. Perfect for clenching.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Mark Twain, hands down. I know you said customizations excluded, so, yeah, even bone stock they're my favorite because of the bowl shape, chamber size, and wall thickness. But a bent Twain with a nosewarmer Forever Stem really gets that train a-rollin' for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Difficult to choose. Not to be smart about it, but maybe it's the one I'm smoking at the time. Whichever one you choose tends to do the job. I have a very large, light weight freehand, natural cob, with a stock acrylic stem, that smokes Semois like a dream. I guess I think of it first. Christmas pipe from my wife.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Sorry the no customization slipped my mind. In that case it would be a Dagner for the same reasons above.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I have a Country Gentleman, 2 Diplomats, 2 Legends, and 2 Mark Twains. Every one smokes great regardless of what kind of tobacco I use. They just make pipe smoking seem more effortless, cooler and dryer. Picking one over the other would be like trying to pick between Farrah Fawcett and Raquel Welch.
I think I could stuff those babies with hay and they’d smoke great. I LOVE MY COBS!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I +1 the MM Pride that ray47 mentioned. I enjoy smoking about a dozen cobs, but lately smoke more briar than cob.

I find the one that 'calls' to me most often is the unfinished, extremely light and cool smoking Pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.