PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
What are your favorite Burley blends? I have come to really like Old Dark Fired and Mac Barrens HH Burley London blend (no longer made unfortunately). Tried both Jackknife plug and Cumberland and did not like them.
thanks
Matt

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
My favorite burley blends, and one of my top 10 all time blends is Wessex Burley Slice. It is a burley flake with a nice molasses flavor. It burns great and is almost always in stock. Can't recommend it enough. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley's in many blends now. I like it in C&D Pegasus, Triple Play, and my home mix of Lanes burley without bite/

McClellands 5100, and a pinch of Black Cavendish. One of my favorite OTC burleys is Granger, though some people

complain about the casing. PA is good too.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For Burley with a nice dose of Perique, I thought Haunted Bookshop was good ... but strong.
Wessex Burley Slice and Edgeworth Sliced are both nice flakes.
For an English Blend that lets the Burley shine through I like H&H Beverwyck.
An everyday, good, simple Burley with no frills would be CH or PA.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I like Boswell's Burley. From their web page

" Created by J.M. April 2007 - A carefully balanced blend creating a mild but full bodied flavor. A Kentucky Burley ripened to the fullest flavor. This is a winner with our customers, no other Burley like it!"

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Old Joe Krantz...nobody does burley like Cornell&Diel and OJK is one of their best!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haunted Bookshop -- strong, lots of natural burley flavor, no casing.
Old Joe Krantz -- strong, similar to Haunted Bookshop, but a touch sweeter from the VAs.
Morley's Best -- top-notch burleys, similar to those in Haunted Bookshop, plus some good sweet VA and a portion of Latakia.
For a totally different style (milder, sweeter), I second the recommendations for Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slice.
Prince Albert is also pretty good, with a mild, nutty burley taste, but with a noticeably sweet casing.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Old Joe Krantz is a very popular mix of burleys with perique and red virginias. It has been my favorite all-around, all-day blend for several years. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Carter Hall is my second favorite blend. It is slightly sweet, nutty, and so well-behaved that it practically smokes itself.

Epiphany, Prince Albert, Aged Burley Flake and Classic Burley Kake are also excellent blends.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I smoked SWR for years. Now, I consider Carter Hall, a great drug store blend, with just a hint of Virginia, my everyday in the field smoke. Bald Headed Teacher is my current favorite true Burley blend.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I am just starting to learn more about burley blends. I am surprised to see so many with Perique in them. There was perique in the GLP Cumberland and I thought it was just an anomoly. While I really like VAPERs, I am not sure I like Perique with burley, or at least from my experience with Cumberland. That was one of the things I think that turned me off to it.
Quite a wide range of recommendations. Most of them I had not yet heard of. Most of my internet searches turned up recommendations for Irish Flake, Triple Play, Jackknife plug, and Solani burley flake. But then again, I guess that the IF, TP and JKP are all dark fired Kentuckys.
My understanding is that Kentucky is a burley. Is it always dark fired?
Are the majority of the blends recommended above made with white burley? Again, I am just starting to learn more about Burley blends.
I like the Old Dark Fired which I know is dark fired, and the HH London blend which I know is white burley. Both are good but in different ways.
thanks

Matt

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Burleys are the one thing not in my usual lineup. After reading this thread, it looks like I have some experimenting to do. I do enjoy a small bowl of ODF now and then.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"My understanding is that Kentucky is a burley. Is it always dark fired?"
Kentucky Dark Fired is similar to burley. It's actually a tobacco strain called a "dark" that is then fire cured. Some dark is air cured like burley. There's also (white) burley grown in Kentucky. In fact, most American burley is grown in Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.