PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I was a Jack drinker for several years but have now found Buffalo Trace which I am starting to prefer.

Whats everyone elses fave.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I love buffalo trace. I have had almost every bourbon and Buffalo Trace is by far my favorite to drink neat.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple-three favorites.

Ezra Brooks

Wild Turkey 101

Evan Williams
There are others.

I'm not opposed to Old No. 7 but it's not one I'd buy before those listed.

However; I have been to the Daniels Distillery many times.

It is home to one of my all time favorite aromas.

On the tour, you're afforded the opportunity to smell the whiskey as it is being filtered.

I always make sure I get 3 or 4 good deep breaths from the filtering whiskey...

Not only does it give you a good buzz
drunken_smilie.png
, but the aroma will stay in your sinuses for a couple of days.... Magnificent!

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I was a Makers Mark guy until I tried Woodford Reserve. Now Woodford is my every day bourbon. I also keep a bottle of Blantons on hand for when I want a treat. Plus it has an awesome bottle! I had a bunch of sample size bottles of Jim Beam Devils Cut and it wasn't bad.
How do you all take yours? I'm usually a 1-3 ice cube guy depending on the brand.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
atsymbol.gif
Rothnh

Come on Lawrence, if you step aside from being politically correct, I am sure you'll admit that Jack isn't a real bourbon -- it's a limp-wristed whisky, best loved by those who mix it with Coke :rofl:
8O Are there really people that put anything in their liquor?!!!

Say it ain't so! :crying:
:D

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
Wild Turkey 101-neat

Maker's Mark-on the rocks

I've been meaning to try Blanton's for a while now

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Come on Lawrence, if you step aside from being politically correct, I am sure you'll admit that Jack isn't a real bourbon -- it's a limp-wristed whisky, best loved by those who mix it with Coke [:rofl:]

+1 roth, the only way I drink Jack anymore is with a mixer
Buffalo Trace just a couple cubes

Gonna give Ezra a try

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
First off, NEAT is the only way to drink bourbon! My opinion only, your mileage may vary ;)
My favorite bourbon is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. I was in Omaha for ten months and decided to do a bourbon test. I would only buy the ones that had the little tag saying they were rated by whomever 90 points and above. There are three fancy Wild Turkeys: Russell's Reserve at about $30, Rare Breed at about $40, and Kentucky Spirit at about $50. Rare Breed was rated 95 points by someone, Kentucky Spirit was rated 98 points by Wine Enthusiast - the highest rated stuff I heave ever tried. I think they are right; you can tell the difference between Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit. It is awesome.
It's 101 proof, so the first sip will burn, but the complexities of the flavor and the smoothness will win you over. Take tiny sips, so it almost melts on your tongue. It also has a cool seashell looking bottle, which makes it taste better. Hand lettered and numbered, but it no longer comes with the cool heavy pewter stopper, it's now wood; I guess the pewter cost too much.
kentuckySpirit_zps3af21b3f.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Oh, I do love my bourbon.
Hiram Walker Ten High has been my go-to daily staple for over 35 years: reliable, affordable and trustworthy as an old friend. (Hell, who even stays married that long?)
But I do have a great respect for the following:
Jack Daniel's Green Label

Maker's Mark

Woodford Reserve

and Old Grand-Dad, bottled in bond, will always have a place of honor in my liquor cabinet
Slainte,
Fnord

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I enjoy Woodford a lot!! I also like Jack single barrel... I have heard that four roses is a good bourbon?? I need to try some of these mentoned!
And I do like it with ginger ale and a cigar :) but do like it over an ice cube, or straight too!
Edit: the first hing I want to do when we move to KY is go on the Woodford bourbon tour!

Status
Not open for further replies.