Favorite Aromatic Blends for the Fall Season?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good morning, all. I like to indulge in the occasional guilty pleasure aromatic, and I am really enjoying the idea of "seasonal" tobacco tastes, i.e. a good virginia flake with the citrus and fresh cut hay aroma in summer, and smokier latakia blends in the colder months. I've been wanting to do the same with aromatics.
I bought a tin of C&D Autumn Evening a couple months ago, and at first I did not care for it at all. However, after letting it mellow (possibly?) for a couple months in a mason jar, I tried a bowl of it last night, and I enjoyed it pretty well! I think it would go very well with a coffee with a little sugar and cream. I'm on the lookout for something similar for Fall and for Winter, though it need not be another maple blend necessarily.
Anyhow, if you enjoy any aromatics that you think are particularly well-suited to Fall and / or Winter, please post about them here.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm currently going through a tin of McClelland Deep Hollow and it's pretty good. I prefer Va's and Vaper's but it is nice to switch it up.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I also like to mix it up a bit.
Fall: Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut
Winter: Mac Baren Cube Silver
Spring/ Summer: Peterson Sunset Breeze

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I like the following:
A 50/50 mix of Lane's 1Q & BCA

Lane's RLP-6

MacBaren's Vanilla Creame Loose Cut

SWR Aromatic

Autumn Evening sometimes. It tends to get harsh sometimes.

Trout Stream

Scotty's Butternut Burley

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
dottie, I've heard a lot of good things about MacBaren Vanilla Cream. It's on my list of tobaccos to try, though I have not yet felt compelled to order it, mainly because I greatly enjoy my vanilla-ish 1Q/BCA mix that I smoke often (often for an aro, that is).
Michael Mirza, I read reviews of Sleepy Hollow on tobaccoreviews.com... going to call and try to get on their waitlist. Thanks for the tip!
ray47, +1 on the 1Q/BCA blend! That's my go to aromatic. I always keep a pint size mason jar on hand stuffed full of this blend. I also agree with you on the Autumn Evening. Had another bowl today at lunch with my coffee. I am enjoying it alright, but will probably not buy again. The topping is great, but it does sometimes cause my throat to feel scratchy, like a stale cigarette (from my cig days), even though I'm going out of my way to smoke it cool considering that it is a virginia aromatic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Solent Blend and Plum Cake from Mac Baren here. Have already started indulging. :mrgreen:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I admit, as of late, I have preferred tobacco with a bit of aromatic to them. Here is my primary issue... strength. So, I have started mixing C&D Cube Cut with aros that I want to try, usually 50/50, or 75/25 (cube cut dominant). Gives me the strength I like, but with a bit of flavor and aroma that is different from my stinky blends.
Edit: Woops, I guess I should answer the question. My current go-to blend has been 50/50 C&D Cube Cut and Capt. Black Dark... which is basically BCA, just made with Green River Burley instead of stoved VA. Got a bit more oompf to it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It's funny how the change of seasons affects our desires for tobacco.
One blend that comes to mind for Fall is Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake ... sweet, yet full bodied.
Also, for myself, Fall means it's time to put HH Old Dark Fired back into rotation. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't forget Edward G. Robinson, favored by jiminks. Also watch for his review on Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, to see how he rates that one. I tend toward non-aromatics since, with so many good condiment tobaccos -- Lat, Per, but also Turkish, cigar leaf, Cavendish, etc. -- they also have a lot of flavor.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Surprisingly the Drew Estates blends are taking me by surprise, I've tried 7th Avenue Blonde, Harvest On Hudson and Central Park Stroll and all are not awful.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Officially on the waitlist for Sleepy Hollow... the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com make it sound too good to pass up!

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
The "Ol Cajun" sent me some "Trout Stream" a few years back. It has to rate high for a Fall smoke, It has a butterscotch topping.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Sorry, I do not believe in seasonal blends. Good tobacco is always good, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.