PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
"Fathers Day Treat" has two meanings in this post. One, it's a treat for me, a father, to hand my son his first pipe today. Two, father is "treating" his boy to a new experience.
It's a generational thing that at first I thought perverse(Giving my son a smoke?), which I got over and am looking forward to. It was my father who gave me my first pipe. It was a joke on my mother. I had been smoking cigarettes since I was nine. She had a fit one day: "I do NOT want my boy smoking cigarettes in this house!" For my 10th birthday, my dad smirked as I unwrapped my first Grabow. I don't think he thought it would stick. He was not a pipe smoker himself. Pall Malls only. But he'd given me Huckleberry Finn for my ninth birthday. To me, this was a natural step in the right direction. I smoked pipes for the next 17 years, stopping all smoking of any kind when I had babies in my house).
While my son served in Afghanistan he was commended for bravery several times. Once it was for standing off a crowd of Nationals 500-plus strong who pressed to enter at his gate. Before that, he had stood long hours in the sun "guarding" a plane on a tarmac with one or two others, all of them looking a little something, I suppose, like those palace guards at Buckingham. Thankless. Glamour-less. Mindless. I think I read somewhere that security forces had the highest suicide rate of any of the job positions. Day after day. Afghanistan for him was almost a relief. Random rocket attacks that hit nothing or blew up a shed. Stuff like that broke the monotony.
I got over being reluctant to share piping with him because
1) I don't consider that I'm damaging myself all that much. It's a hobby. It's relaxing. It's dignified. It's pleasureful. Why wouldn't I want him to have that?
2) He smokes already. Heavy cigarette smoker. If anything, I'm improving his health.
3) It's another level of bonding. Father and son.
Haven't decided which of my pipes I'm giving him, or if we're going shopping for one. But we will start out with the innocuous, neutral corncob. Picking up some of those shortly.
Not worried about which of the tamer ribbon-cuts we'll start with. Because before this weekend is over, he'll have had a little sample of my slices and flakes, too. I have all my blending tobaccos here, so he'll get to sniff the different contributors to the Crown Achievement, for instance. Get a basic understanding that pipe blends are intriguing.
And.... you should be able to find him here. I'm going to see if he won't subscribe to Pipes Magazine.
Be nice now. Not just because he's my son. But because he left a station he'd been at for nearly two years as the undefeated hand-to-hand combat champion and is a damn fine shot with rifle or sidearm. (Definitely want to give that boy something to keep him calm and mellow. :) )
:)

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
They're are plenty of other hard chargers here both past and present. Let him know he's amongst family here. We look forward to having him.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What a treat, to have a son who is a good man, know the feeling, mine was in the 82nd airborne, pathfinder, Desert Storm, jumped with the Old timers on the 50th Anniversary of D Day, makes you feel like in this crazy world you did something right . Thank your son for all the old Vets who appreciate his service.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Pups, please echo rsuninv's sentiments to your son for me, what a proud father you must be! My dad was and is my hero and i consider myself very very blessed and fortunate to have had such a positive and dedicated figure in my life the way my dad has been to me. He did what a father should do: instill good moral values and the proper way to conduct oneself with dignity, honor, politeness and respect. This is obviously not lost on you, as you have done exactly this with your son and you have my UTMOST RESPECT, sir. I have 1 tattoo on my body and that is my father and grandfather's first name and my middle name. I am a big fan of tattoo's, but I don't have more because i will only get something permanently put on my body that i know i will never regret. This is without a doubt one i will never regret.
Tell your son also to join up, i'd like to have a fellow martial artist on here to talk shop with along with the briar!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I have two sons like yours, both cigar smokers, who will enjoy the proceeds when my "estate" pipes are auctioned or garage sold.
Please PM his address and I'll send a quality briar burner posthaste.
Fnord

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Very cool story. You obviously raised a good man, and sharing that first pipe with him will be the icing on a very successful cake.
As the others requested, please offer him my gratitude and respect for his service. Happy Father's Day (a couple days early).

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks, folks -- especially thanks fnord. He's going to email me his new address, which naturally, has just changed.
Been going very well. He's had the corn cob, and I'd cleaned up some briars for him to try. Trying not to overwhelm him, but he's had a number of fine tobaccos so far. Definitely think he likes them, at last as a pleasant alternative to cigarettes.
Yes, very proud of him. Turns out I had some of this stories wrong. The coin for instance, it was for retrieving 37 men who'd outstayed their welcome in an area near Bagram that went under small arms and random rocket fire. He was sent to go get them. When he got to them, and E9 was issuing all kinds of bullsh*t instructions, some contradicting what he needed them to do. He told the E9 he was under *his* command, and that if he wanted his men to be safe, he needed to shut the "F" up and let him do his job. Then he led them all back tot he base. He brought all 37 back in the night without incident.
He was supposed to have the next day off. But he was awoken and told, "Troop, get showered and shaved, get your uniform on and report." Confused, and then fearing the worse (reprimand for spouting off to the E9), he reported. Seeing their chief in the corner and being asked, "Do you know what you're here for?" he answered, "I believe I am in trouble for last night."
Nope. The chief praised him for saving his men. He had never been upbraided by a ballsy E3 like that before, but he appreciated his calm under fire, and the fact that he did his job, and his men were safe.
Much better than I understood it. But maybe I don't understand it yet, even. I should let him tell his own stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.