PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Hey everyone,
My lady and I went up to Grand Rapids to meet up with the Gentlemen of the Briar and the guys who are doing the Father the Flame documentary yesterday at Indian River Tobacco Traders.
It was a great afternoon! As with most of us, I anticipated buying some tobacco to support the shop, but never anticipated this!
http://imgur.com/a/v3WYE
PAD struck me like lightning out of a clear blue sky. The pipe is from RobEsArt, who can be found on Etsy. I've watched his work for the past year, but never anticipated actually owning one. A super handsome rhodesian, half blasted, half smooth with a reddish stain and semi-clear acrylic inlay on the stem. Haven't smoked it yet, but plan to soon. It's well constructed, and lighter than it looks.
I bought all the Briar Pipe Wipe they had. It's no longer in production, and works more than passing well for a guy who doesn't have a buffing wheel. I bought the Capstan Blue and Three Nuns as I've never had it before.

I made these purchases in the first fifteen minutes of my arrival. I knew I had to have these things, and didn't prefer spending time mulling around the store when I could be chatting with other pipe smokers. That, and with other pipe smokers coming soon (I showed up early), I knew I had to buy what I wanted or kick the dirt later. Imagine an overprotective dog with a bone. The slaver running from my mouth doesn't factor into the metaphor.. much.
We chatted up the manager of the store/ president of GotB for a while and made our way into the lounge. The lounge is comprised of two different sitting areas, and is all plush leather. I packed a Teipen pipe with MacBaren VA Flake, and Gabbie packed a Posella with Dan's Blue Note (yes, ever the gentleman, I bought her ladyship a tin). After about 10 minutes, some folks from the club and community started filtering in. It was a strange scenario for a moment. Looking around, there were more women smoking pipes than men!
The guys from FtF came in, and began making trips to bring in their equipment. Their setup time took more than an hour. I lolled back, watching them at work. It was fascinating. Gabbie and I were lucky enough to be filmed in one of their two B-shots for the documentary.
Let me tell you-- this is no hokey production. From advanced lighting to red eye cameras, they were top notch for being a personal and crowd funded production. For what will probably be a 3 to 10 second B-shot in the film, we probably did a half hour or more of filming shots, and a good 45 minutes of equipment set up. These guys really care about making this thing come out right. And hey, even if our shot doesn't make the documentary, we both had fun doing it.
I had the opportunity to sit down with Chad and Rush last October to do an interview with them in an upcoming video series I'm working on. After the shots were done, we talked about both our projects. I expressed my apologies to him for not getting the interview out sooner, but I want my hokey little production to come out the best it can. He spoke about his recent trip overseas to visit Mimmo and a huge number of pipe makers, pipe tobacco manufacturers, and more.
He told me about how well he utilized his time there, and how exhausting it was. He would get shots in one location, and the whole crew would jump in a car, and go to another country to get another shot. This happened without stop for about two weeks, catching sleep in the car when they could. Chad expressed that he would like to make a book about some of the neat things they did over there, and the documentary as a whole. I gave him some information to get in touch with Gary Schrier at Briar Books Press. I hope they are able to see the book idea to fruition.
Here are some more photos from my day:
http://imgur.com/a/bXcUY
Chad (left) and Rush (right) are at the helm of the Father the Flame project. Gabbie smoking her Posella shortly after our filming. Shots of the lounge. Shots of some of the lighting equipment used. Shots of the interior of Indian River Tobacco Traders.
Chad also expressed that they would have a rough version of the documentary done by the Chicago Pipe Show, and will be finished with the project in the fall.
All in all, it was a great day.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Congrats man! I saw that pipe up one his etsy and figured it wouldnt be long before it got picked up. Hope it smokes well for you!

Father the Flame - I've been hearing about this for a very long time, and I donated about a year ago to these guys, a fairly sizable donation, and I'm starting to wonder if these guys are just living off of this movie. They seem to beg money everywhere they go. With taking this long, if this just turns out to be hipsters all setting around listening to vinyl and riding skateboards with pipes, expect me to piss all over it. It had better Wow me.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Beautiful pipe and I am pleased to see that the film is moving along. I have been looking forward to seeing it for a long time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd hate to have to make a movie that would please even a narrow majority of pipe smokers, we're such

an independent and sometime crotchety lot. If the movie intrigued a wider audience, just for its look into

a sort of sub-culture that is invisible to most people, and got some distribution to the general public in

art houses (independent movie theaters) it could be a real boost to pipe shops and retailers throughout the

pipe smoking world. Hope it surfaces beyond pipe shows, although that's a start. Will it irritate some?

Unquestionably.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Well said mso489, any project like this that gets the hobby some exposure to folks interested is good in my book, hipsters or not. Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Here's some general responses to what people are saying:
-The pipe is really slick. I've since smoked it, and I'm very happy with it.

-The Briar Pipe Wipe works like a charm. Great for doing some quick shining and spot maintenance.

-Hipsters? No. They're young people. Thirty-somethings. The whole crew has full-time jobs and they're doing this project on the side. Money doesn't come easily. I'd probably have to resort to crowd-funding the project as well. For all of them to be able to do what they did filming overseas lately is akin to herding cats. I think this movie is going to be really special, watching them work and talking with them; you can tell it's a labor of love. I doubt anyone will be that disappointed, and imagine it's probably very easy to sit behind a keyboard impatiently and judge. I recall Chad saying that on top of DVD sales, he was going to do some film festivals, and try to get it on Netflix as well. The overall impact that this movie will have is going to be considerable if things work out.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I'm from Grand Rapids! I went into Indian River Tobacco this past week to smokey my pipe in the lounge with my wife. The manager talked to me a bit and said the pipe club met there, but it was men only. Man, I was bummed. I am a female so unfortunately I can't join. :( If you hear of anything in the area I can be apart of, let me know! I would love to be active in the community, both online and in face to face interactions.
Good post. Happy smoking!
Smokey

Really, smokeytay?!! That blows my mind. I don't ever understand things like that. Why would men want to hang out with just other men... oh wait... I get it. It's a gay pipe club, or.. umm... male gay pipe club?

Anyways, it would not interest me in the least to just want to hang out with men only. You two should start your own "normal" pipe club for everyone.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Yeah, it was definitely disappointing. And I want it to be known that I, by no means, meant my post to be abrasive or hostile! The manager was very nice. He and I talked pipes and tobacco for a good hour at least. He just stated the fact that the GR club is men only. I do want to be more involved in the community and am hoping someone on here may know of a place where women can join in other than online. Again, I didn't mean to come across negatively. But perhaps a pipe club for all would be nice.
Smokey

Move to Birmingham. We don't currently have any females in our pipe club, but I can't imagine anyone having an issue with it at all. Heck, I would think that having girls in a pipe club would be a great incentive for getting even more people involved.
Plus, we don't have all of those crazy anti-laws here, so you can pretty much smoke anywhere you want, except school, hospitals, and places owned by jerks.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
@smokeytay33- I thought that was an odd rule as well. If you ever wanted to get together and smoke, shoot me a PM. I'm in Holland, and my girlfriend smokes pipes as well. I plan on checking out one of their meetings, but think it's unfortunate that women aren't allowed. Women pipe smokers were certainly not a minority during my visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.