PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I had a cob pipe that cracked so bad smoke would come out the side and it would suck air bad, so I just took plain old spackling that you use for nail holes in a wall. I put some on my finger and filled the crack up. It's been 3 weeks now and the pipe is smoking just fine and no bad taste. :puffy:

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i put duct tape around one i dropped. worked great untill the warden chucked it...
she said i looked "to okie" smoking it.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Good to know, i have a corncob on its way out because of that same issue. I was thinking about plastering up the hole..good to know that works! Pipes Magazine research department to the rescue! :puffy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Bathroom tile grout is the preferred fix. Also, it is better than pipe mud for draft holes that have been drilled too high.
You mean just for cobs, or does this work on briar too?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Could always just buy another one.

Yeah. As long as you are fixing one, you might as well fix two at the same time.

Bathroom tile grout is the preferred fix. Also, it is better than pipe mud for draft holes that have been drilled too high.

Do you mean to say I bought those cigars for nothing? I bought a few last spring before I went sailing just for that purpose, but I haven't had any desire to play in the mud yet.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Ace, what do you think about the natural cobs? I got a few the other day and I like them. It surprised me cause I always avoided them.

kb7get

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
I have always used a little elmers glue. After a bit some cake will fill the inside bowl. Here is my 35 year old cob from the 70's. Still smokes like a champ.
316kfx4.jpg

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
depending how the warden feels, i am either a portagee, okie, or asshole...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Spackle, bondo, duct tape, tile grout, elmers glue..... you guys are killin' me! HaHaaa! I'm

with kennerth, as plaster of paris is the way to go.
Ace, I'd have thought you would have cinched her up with claymore mine wire and pulled it tight!

kb7get

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
Well all I can say is in 45 years of smoking cobs I have found what works for me. White elmers school glue has fixed many of mine over the years. Either gluing back in shanks or filling cracks in the bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.