PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Almost thirty years ago.My boss asked me what my computer skills were.Zero I replied.That answer landed me in school for six weeks.I came out thinking I knew a little bit.Then came the updates that ment more learning.It's been a constant thing ever since.More updates more learning.It's more than my almost seventy year old brain can keep up with.These days since I'm retired I only learn what I have to.The good news is I have an avatar and I can put peoples names and numbers in my phone.My wife has one of those phones that does everything but fry eggs.When she got it she thought it was really great.Now she says she needs 4G.Whats the world comming to?

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
:rofl: simple truth. Internet on phones are only going to be getting faster, I see having an internet service kind of going the way on home phone land lines. I already know some people who use only a 3g modem from verizon for their home, they of course don't use a computer a ton, but for them it was easier to do that.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My cell phone has more capabilities then two of the computers in my house, is three times faster and has more hard drive space.
You want fast moving technology...I actually looked at ordering a new keyboard, this one has no board at all, just a holographic image projected onto the desk in front of you. Still a bit buggy, but it works. Also,windows has a new OS that will be the future at any place of business, the example they give is in a restaurant, your table becomes a virtual menu, just tap what you want.
I used to be a huge tech fan, but more and more I long for the simple days. I can't consume enough data and attend enough training to keep up anymore. The last time i tried to play a new video game, it took a week of "training" just to go through all the set up, by then i had lost interest.
I think that is what attracted me to a pipe. A longing to feel connected to an era of simplicity and common sense. Don't find much of either these days.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I really like my iPad. It is just about the only "computer" I use at home. Devices should get simpler as they get more advanced - at least simpler to use. If I were to recommend a device for someone who isn't very familiar with technology I would definitely recommend an iPad.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
One of my old coworkers once told me a story where his daughter had a friend over (they were about 7 years old) her friend asked him if they could watch one of the "square movies." he was very confused and asked her to show him what she was talking about. Turns out it was a VHS tape.
Later that day we discussed the things our children will have no idea about, like pay phones, an actual phone ring(not a ring tone), tapes or even a world without the internet.

frank

Lurker
Oct 17, 2011
I'm still using a circa1936 Western Electric 202 rotary phone... Had some kids over from our school group, and they had no idea how to dial a rotary phone...

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I don't own a phone, of any kind.
I still have a very easy time keeping up with consumer tech, and haven't fallen behind on the few aspects of it besides that I do understand, though that will change.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Yeah I'm pretty sure that in the near future we will be recieving physiological updates.... Not only will we be robots, and aliens; we will also be part zombie considering we are not fully human. This will all be done to combat the desire of robots, aliens, and zombies to kill humans. WE MUST BE ASSIMILATED or ELIMINATED!
http://www.snorgtees.com/zombies-robots-and-aliens-venn-diagram

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I was just sitting and reading the posts and had to grin to Myself, In school We could not even have a calculator and what was a cell phone. I'll be 54 in Dec. How did that old saying go. (We came a long way baby)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Later that day we discussed the things our children will have no idea about, like pay phones, an actual phone ring(not a ring tone), tapes or even a world without the internet.
LOL - Serge, this reminds me of my nephew (9) looking over my collection of old video-game consoles. He was blown away that the PS3 was proceeded by both a PS2 and Playstation! He figured they started at 3 because it sounded cool. Oddly, given the choice between all the "Next Gen" consoles, he unerringly wants to play "the machine with the card controllers" - aka Intellivision.

Status
Not open for further replies.