mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
p_20180714_105935-600x337.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Farmer Pig has difficulty with the concept of sipping, being a pig, you know.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Bryan Bowers, greatest living master of the Autoharp®, has a song called "Four Wet Pigs" that's appropriate here. I'm on droid, so I can't post you a good link right now, but you can Google/youtube it. Cute song.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Farmer Pig will be on the forums soon, asking why he has problems with tongue bite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the Farmer Pig drawing a lot. In fact I like children's books in general. The good ones have something for adults as well ... humor, imaginative touches. Mr. Pig exudes energy and vitality. He looks like he gets up before the sun and gets it done, there on his farm. Unfortunately, the lucrative kiddie lit markets produces a lot of books that are less good. But the good ones can be real literature, age appropriate.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I like the cut of that pigs jib! Can't be easy holding, well, anything with hooves for hands. But he looks happy with his pipe and his smoking. Are we engaging in a bit of snobbery when we criticize his smoking cadence? Whatever makes a pig happy says I!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What year would that have been, Mike? Pretty sure that today the PC police wouldn't allow the printing of such terrible influence on children..... :|

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
John, yes it certainly isn't a new printing. It's an anthology of Richard Scarry stories that my wife had when she was little. The book dates from the early 80s, but the stories are much older I think.
There is a lot of pipes in there actually. I should post some more pictures. On the cover is a Farmer (lion this time) holding a cob in his mouth. There is a good story of a young rabbit and the grandpa has a beautiful database. It was a different time that's for sure.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I *thought* that looked like a Scarry illustration. And loyd, thanks much for adding the link! Bowers is fabulous, but doesn't like to be called king of the Autoharp. He says that honor belongs to Kilby Snow. Much as I like Bryan's artistry, I agree with him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.