PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was sitting around smoking a pipe chatting with my family. A cousin asked who I picked it up from. I told him I didn't know anyone in the family except that a distant uncle had smoked. My grandfather was sitting there and told me that my great grandad (his dad) smoked a bent pipe. I was always hoping that someone smoked pipes, and glad to find out some one who did. Just wish I knew him, he passed 20 years before I was born due to a heart attack at 63 in 1961.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I know no one in a personal capacity that soles a pipe
My wife's grandfather smoked a pipe, but I never knew him well enough that it was a topic of discussion.
If you have someone close to you that smokes a pipe, count yourself lucky,

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My Uncle Frank was almost never seen without a pipe in his mouth.
Here's a link to the story I posted about him:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-country-doctor-story

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a similar story. I asked my grandmother recently if anyone in our family smoked a pipe... Apparent my great grandfather (her dad) used to smoke a pipe. He is the only other family member I know of that smoked a pipe.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
My grandfather smoked a pipe during his service in WWII. Other than that, the only pipe smoker in the family is a second cousin.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Although I had observed my Grandfather smoking his pipe, I hadn't really paid much attention to his process other than his rubbing out his cut plug in the palms of his hands and loading and lighting.

He died prior to my tobacco experimentation which began with stolen cigs my neighbor took from his dad and only sporadically involved cursory experimentation with pipes later on.

I inhaled them so I didn't enjoy them. I got tongue burn. I had no idea what I was doing and I only did it when I didn't have cigarettes, which of course, were not that expensive, yet.

Honestly? I can only think of one or two other pipe smokers in my memory, and again, I was not observant of the process.

When I was a kid, almost everybody smoked. Hell, Carl Yaztremski used to smoke on the bench between innings, and I was in my 20's when HE played.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
My father smoked a pipe. I first started smoking cigars (at age 12), as my grandfather did, but, in college, I discovered women appreciated a pipe more than cigars and I switched. I never had any instruction in pipe smoking from my father, or any one else for that matter, but when I started smoking a pipe, I just knew how to do it from being around it. That is one thing younger pipe smokers are missing, the chance to absorb knowledge from their environment. This is one of the main functions of pipe forums, to impart the body of knowledge and the culture of pipe smoking to another generation.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
My late dad also smoked a pipe. He started when he was in the Navy in WW2 but stopped twenty years before he died. Which is when I started smoking the pipe. There were no pipes but my mother gave me his old leather tobacco pouch and pipe tool. I still use them to this day.
What I remember best as a child is the he used to let me rub out his tobacco - Ogden Walnut Flake - and I still smoke that lovely old British blend.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Long time no see Jakey. Welcome back.
My maternal grandfather smoked a pipe. Mostly Falcon-type with the screw on bowls. I thought the "twin hulls" were pretty cool. He kept tubs of OTC tobacco on his workbench in the basement. Granger was his favorite. He had a standard round pipestand/humidor next to his easy chair in the living room. My grandmother used to scold him endlessly " Lloyd, put that filthy thing away while the children are here." He never did.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@elpfeife - thanks, I sensed the winds of change - or at least the soughing of a favourable breeze! LOL
Interesting you should mention Falcons: the photos of my dad in the Navy show him with a very classy billiard, hard-clamped. But the last pipes he smoked were Falcons. He also used to let me fill the bowls sometimes, and complained they were packed so hard that he couldn't draw!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
None of my relatives smoked a pipe, to my knowledge. My paternal grandfather smoked cigarettes, but he died before my parents met. Oddly, though, when I got my first paper route, my mom gave me a little leather bag to keep change in while collecting subscription money - and it had the dried-out remains of a rubber liner, and the word "Jobey" stamped on the front... so somebody on her side of the family must have needed a tobacco pouch at some point, for some reason. :puffpipe:
I now own two of the Jobey pouches myself, but I no longer keep change in them. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My father's dad, Grandpa to me, smoked a pipe, and my dad smoked until he was 65. I inherited my grandfather's pipe

rack through my dad. My dad smoked Granger most of the day, even at work. In conversation, he'd gesture with

his pipe to emphasize points. I've never gone that far, but all of the rest of the pipe ritual, I learned from him. I never

had to learn much technique, it was so imprinted and engrained in me. I grew up in the North, but as they say in the

South, I came by it honest, which means by upbringing.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My grandfather smoked a pipe, but he died long before I was born. My dad also smoked a pipe, but quit well before I was born. So as far as I know, I'm the only one who currently smokes a pipe. I know that plenty of relatives smoke ciggs though.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
My late father was on a short pipe smoking spree when I was a young boy. It made quite an impression on me! So much, that I started smoking pipes at the young age of 16 for the first time. If I remember those long gone days correctly I struggled with the pipes and when I was eventually able to smoke a pipe to the very end I quit. Well, more than 30 years are past and here I am - smoking a corn cob! :puffy:

Jun 4, 2014
My Grandfather was a pipe smoker, I had an uncle who occasionally smoked a pipe but was mostly a cigarette smoker.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
My maternal grandfather smoked a pipe. I wish that I had the collection that sat on his desk. I remember, as a child, going with my mother to purchase a pipe for his birthday. We selected a grey, leather covered billiard . At the time I thought it was awfully sharp. My mother and her father have both been gone for many years now. Like so many of those who shaped me they are sorely missed.

norse743

Lurker
Feb 14, 2015
Like a few before me, my Dad smoked pipes while in the Navy back in 1948. He's got a large collection - about 150 pipes! He passed away now, but oh, the memories of him smoking! Great smells! Now i have all these pipes and don't know what to do with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.