PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I doubt any od you have read my introduction in the general discussion forum but I tried pipe smoking about 2 years ago I had some people nice enough to send me sent tobacco in the mail. I even got some nice letters too. My grandfather found one of my packages in the mail and freaked out. sent it to the drug lab I was right it wasn't drugs =_= still didn't get it back and got threatened to be thrown out of my house. Anyone else have family members flip out like that?
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Welcome to the forums!
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I haven't had the same reaction. My family has been very tolerant of my habit. Granted I smoke in the basement and make sure I'm the only one affected.
Have you had a chance to discuss your pipe smoking with your family?

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Wow... That is very dramatic I must say. And to answer your question... No, I have never even come close to having anything like that happen. Nor have I heard of this happening to anyone... Hope your luck gets better.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I tried to talk to them about it but it just gets them upset and if my mamaw gets too upset she could have a stroke. The thing that really gets me is all the other grandkids are grown and allowed to go live wherever they want and buy whatever they want do whatever they want but I always get a lecture on "what's better for me" or "I don't think you'd be able to do that honey". It may also have something to do with them losing family members to lung cancer after being life long CIGARETTE smokers. I'm most likely going to buy another corn cob from the phaacy as well as a ouch of captain black. When I get my license I may start spending time at the warf a local pipe and cigar shop with a smoking room. Maybe they'll order stuff for me

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I'm 20 bro, and it wasn't that it was tobacco, it was that it was in a package in the mail "from a stranger" and he wanted to make sure it wasn't poisoned. Like I said I think it has more personal feelings of his dad dying of lung cancer and the fact that I'm the "baby" of all the grand kids (not counting great grandkids and ones he don't even see in Florida) and that we have a family history of cancer and he doesn't want me to get cancer? He's helped raise me since the day I was born so Ican kind of get where hhe's coming from but point being I'm almost 20

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Tried but can't because I'm a diabetic and apparently they can't just keep a pack of crackers with them lol won't even give me a desk job. So I went and got tattoos that would of disqualified me anyway damn diabetes. His nerveshas settles down and hhe's actually encouraging me to go to college. Its ironic because now I actually take care of him more then he does me I don't mins though generally my grandpa is the nicest guy you ever mightbhope to meet just don't fuck with his family

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Well i know I can go to school for free with my disability grants not even counting fasfa. I may go for computer forensics, possibly CNC, or getting a heavy machine degree which is an easy way to get a class A cdl as well as a forklift license and forklift drivers around here make pretty decent living. I could also work at the animal shelter. I regularly volunteer there and the girls keep egging me on to get a job there...its not bad... After 6 months I could get promoted to animal control officer and they make 50k a year here. Its hard to decide what to do when your multi talented and you can't choose :(

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Oh I also had a gunsmith say I could help him out in his shop... Hmmm I'm also certified in heavy duty floor maintenance

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
This whole thread was like watching a car on fire - waiting for the thing to explode

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
No matter if I agree with your grandfather or not, its his house. You live there you live by his rules.
I told my kids that when they got their own electric bill, they could make their own rules. But as long as it

was my house, it was my rules. Sounds like he might be the same way. lol
Good luck with your career plans.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
"To thine own self be true." that was Shakespeare if I recall correctly. "Never let others dictate your actions" SFC. Arreola said that. Make your own decisions, not without thought, of who and what you want to be but always YOUR decision. Love your family I agree. But after your 18 years of age, your opinion now counts more than theirs. Stand up and be counted for what you believe, anything else is not being true to yourself. Only you count, can you look in the mirror with pride.....or disgrace. You get to chose. This is my two cents on the topic. Hope things work out for you.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
18 years of age, your opinion now counts more than theirs. Stand up and be counted for what you believe,
Respect and learn from your elders, their life experiences and wisdom far outreach whatever an 18 year old can even begin to comprehend.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
When I was twenty, I still have plenty of people telling me what to do. I guess that's common. But once I moved out and had my own place, money, etc. No one "told" me what to do. They may have suggested it, but never demanded.

At some point I got the "damn the torpedoes" attitude and did what I wanted.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I remember the original post. Thought Grampa was kind of extreme, but after reading your new post, I understand his concerns for you.
There is always time to smoke a pipe when you are on your own. Stick around, enjoy the forum, your grandfather will not always be there - don't have regrets.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'll rise to the bait!
Living in someone's home is very akin to being active on this forum. You are there, or here, entirely on the sufferance of another. Can't abide the rules? Pack your gear and move along. Why make both of you miserable or unhappy.
Your grandfather appears to be a thinking individual, concerned for and not quite ready to accept your choice of vice. He's already gone through the "end game of cancer" with his son. I've been through it with a grandfather (lung), my mother (breast) and, lastly, my wife (lung and then brain). It's not fun, in fact it is horrific! In some ways, harder on the survivor.
Cut him some slack and refrain from directly confronting his sensibilities. Grandpa's house = Grandpa's rules.

rivervalley

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
My .02
Give Grampa a big hug and thank him for everything he has done and is doing for you. Respect him and his rules. You will have your own place and direction in life soon enough.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Family politics demand much of us. While you are living in someone else's home, you have to cater to their emotional needs

to some extent. Gramps sounds somewhat paranoid. You sound trustworthy, but he doesn't exhibit much trust. Be kind and

caring of him, but let this motivate you to work toward independence and a residence of your own, if possible. Meantime, I'd

keep your smoking outside the family spaces to the degree possible, but don't keep it a secret. Quietly explain that you have

to exercise your own choices while respecting theirs. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.