Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I think I am starting to fall in love with a shape that I don't own. Right now I only have 4 group 5 bent bulldogs. Although they are my favorite shape I feel I am falling for the large bent billiards. Got to hold a Dunhill 5102 and it is about perfect in the size and shape department. Love the Ferndown 3* and Ashton lx bent billiards. One day I will have a few if not a 7 day set.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I'd say my favorite shape is a Dublin. What I really look for is size. I have plenty of smaller pipes but I gravitate to Large, thick bowls for long relaxing smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm big on variety in shapes, sizes and finishes, but billiards are right up there among my several favorites, bent and straight. The simplicity of the billiard shape makes it somewhat the iconic pipe. I have more trouble naming a shape I don't like. So far, I've not wanted a Cavalier, but oops, now I've said it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I fell in love with the diplomat, the author, and the bulldog. Terrific shapes especially in a group 5-6

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The stem is more important to me than the actual bowl. I basically require the stem to be continuous from the bowl to the tip. This rules out saddle, diamond shape, freehand etc.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Volcanos and blowfish here. Around two inch deep bowls and I'm good. For clenching, I like hand filling, deep bowled bent apples.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Bent Billiards are a very popular collectible shape with endless possibilities for a solid collection at any price point. Falling in love with something, a brand, shape or really anything that ties a group together is when the fun really starts. IMO Building even a semi focused pipe collection is more rewarding than just accumulating a random (even if they are great stand alone pieces)pipe rotation. 8O

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The stem is more important to me than the actual bowl. I basically require the stem to be continuous from the bowl to the tip. This rules out saddle, diamond shape, freehand etc.
Can you post a photo or two that illustrates the continuous stem? Please.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Happened to me. I tried a handful of shapes and sizes but the prince shape, specifically the Savinelli 313/315 and Dunhill 4407 have hooked me. The long bent stem and shorter, wide bowl are perfect for shorter smokes and fit perfectly in my hand.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I like too many different shapes. I try to force myself to avoid anything other than Bulldogs, Rhodesians and the occasional Author. If it is different, old or rare, sometimes I can't help myself.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I am really attracted to the bent apple or dublins. Do the shorter lengths burn hotter or is the length merely preference? Does a longer pipe have benefit over a shorter pipe?

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Does a longer pipe have benefit over a shorter pipe?
The smoke has more time to cool before it reaches your mouth.I actually tested this myself recently. While it's not a HUGE difference at these sizes; I'm sure a churchwarden would make a substantial change. I don't own any so you will have to get that info elsewhere.
1122151512-00_zpspazlovlv.jpg

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Long, pencil shanked Billiards. I'm slowing eliminating pipes that don't fit that, and accumulating more. I don't need variety... there is enough of that elsewhere in life.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Also, this thread has been done before. Billiard, including other variations like the Pot, Author, and somewhat fond of a Zulu so far. I hear Bulldog/Rhodesian all the time....though aesthetically it's not for me I have yet to restore and try one. I have two sitting in a box waiting for warm weather though!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
No problem carbonmated. Welcome to the forums by the way!
I've never had a Dublin but LOVE the style. If I ever could afford it, this would be the one.
Savinelli Caramella Smooth 920KS

pm-psvcm-920ks-s.png

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Bent billiards, bent apples and author are my favorite shapes. I can see bent dublins getting added to the list.
Tyler I love those caramellas. I've been eyeing them for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.