Fall Weather Means Pipe Season is Coming to a Close

(62 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cmdrmcbragg
  • Latest reply from salewis
  1. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here in Colorado, it can get pretty damn cold, even in October and November. The other side of that is it can be almost warm on days in December and January. Either way, the days of smoking outside are becoming fewer and farther. The last few days here in Denver have been warm, sunny and mild: perfect days for smoking.

I've taken the last few days to liberally smoke up a bunch of Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey, 1Q, Ruins of Isengard and R18 (B&M blend). To say the least, it feels good to get the briar back in my hands for multiple days in a row. Between the weather, kids, work, school and the house ... I don't have much time to fit in a solid regular hour long smoke break.

This could be it until Spring, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Some Erin Go Bragh in my Savinelli Oscar

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

Fall and winter I cut back on smoking but it's really only the dead of winter that I'll quit, I'm thinking about buying a little portable heater for my back porch or maybe I should try smoking in the hot tub

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here on the Maine coast, it's noticeably warmer than inland during the winter, and often 10-15 degrees cooler than inland temperatures in summer. We're actually getting some really nice Spring and Autumn weather in recent years; it used to be three seasons here: Winter, Mud Season, Summer.

As long as it isn't windy outside (it can sometimes get pretty windy on the coast), I'll grab a pipe, dress appropriately and go out for a nice long walk at least a few days a week, year round.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get yourself some long johns, a sweater, another sweater, a big winter coat, a hat, and a scarf, and some gloves, and you're good to go.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Hummm,I dont slow down in the winter at all,,I just sit on my couch and puff away,lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear you Commander! The warm days we get are great, but the temps drop so fast the joy goes away. I'm in Loveland, BTW. I went out a few days ago and half way through my bowl the wind kicks in, the temp drops and I start thinking of heading inside. I was prepared but it still sucks. The cold temp I can handle, not the cold wind.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never let a bit of weather get in way of my pipe smoking. Accessing a pipe smoking shelter from the elements, beit the garage, tool shed, shop, or vehicle is always an option. For those on six figure sallaries there's always the option of building a sun room or enclosed porch addition to your house. I tend to rough it outdoors or in the garage. Of course my truck is a mobile smoker's lounge, but I don't relish driving just to have a smoke.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I would be investing in a clean air system and claiming a room in the house. There is no way I would stop smoking my pipe all winter long. Of course we work outside a good chunk of the winter and I smoke outside while working. You do tend to get used to the cold and you dress accordingly.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mtnfolkmike

mtnfolkmike

Login to Send PM

i only smoke outside and like it quite a bit, during the colder/chillier weather.. i bundle up and sit back and relax..

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

I chose the shed-in-the-yard method ... with an exhaust fan, insulation, and wallboard, it's an ideal small room that can readily be warmed with a space heater ... been smoking cigars and pipes out there for years ...

Yes, I know ... no snow where I live, but there's no shortage of winter time rain and temps that drop far lower than is even remotely comfortable to sit outside in ... if I lived in a snowy environment, it'd not just be nice, it'd be mandatory ...

The garage option is the only alternative I can think of ... friend of mine in Idaho has done a rough finish on his garage (insulation and wallboard), installed a TV and some comfy furniture ... a while back, his wife surprised him by having a plumber install a urinal out there, partly just to be nice, partly to keep him and his frequent fellow-smoker guest(s) from opening the door to the house and letting smoke in ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. pipebow88

pipebow88

Login to Send PM

Winter is coming so my pipe smoking stays at its usual level. My chair is just as comfortable now as any other time. Sure am glad my wife doesn't mind the pipe in the house. Just spray a little ozium and good to go. It's amazing how long that little can will last.
    B

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Winter means I smoke more outside on my lanai and my front porch. I have been out on my lanai most of the day as it is a nice balmy 80 degrees with some cooling tropical breezes. I smoke indoors during the summer here in Florida.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here in central Texas it's the summer that kills my smoking. We typically go a good number of consecutive days at over 100 degress every year. I primarily smoke in the garage (which is the most outdoors I ever smoke) and with the heat it is unbearable. Even late at night it's still 90 degrees in there.

Now that fall is here, it's much nicer and I find myself enjoying a bowl a lot more often.

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lived in Denver for 3 years. Cold there is nothing compared to South Dakota where I've spent the rest of my life. There's no way I could take a Winter hiatus. At worst I would sit in a running vehicle but there's no way I'll stop piping.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I chose the shed-in-the-yard method...

Same here. It's the only place that I CAN smoke because my wife hates pipe odors! The shed is all enclosed but without insulation, I have a beat-up recliner to relax in, an extension cord to an outside plug on the house for lights and a space heater, and I get good wi-fi connectivity for my laptop. I am seriously thinking about getting a cheap electric blanket, too, 'cuz this winter is supposed to be a cold one here in Ohio.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I won't stop altogether, but the garage gets old (and cold) pretty fast -- at least I'm out of the wind -- so I definitely don't smoke as much during the winter months. Sitting in the garage does not quite measure up to sitting on the porch or the back deck.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

+1 lostandfound.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my favorite winter time pipes is after I get done shoveling the snow from my driveway. Once I've warmed myself up from the effort and gotten all the white stuff clear I light a pipe and stand back admiring my handiwork. My pipe always goes with me on snowshoe adventures and winter hikes. There is just something right about a warm smoldering bowl in the hand on a cold winters day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here is SoCal, winter means that the mini skirts are 1/2" longer. Doesn't affect my pipe smoking at all.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ah, I miss short skirts already here in Maryland!
    In the Fall, I move off my comfy patio into my workshop section of the garage. It's insulated, I have a nice chair, footstool, wi-fi and a table for beverages and reading material, plus a good light. My garage is insulated and to this point, I haven't needed a heater, but I have a little electric space heater to take the chill off in the really cold weather (garage gets down to around 50 degrees). It's interesting and comfy to smoke without a breeze. However, by the time Spring rolls around, I feel like a prisoner and long for the fresh air.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are most of our members prohibited from smoking in the house, in comfort? Why? Spousal fiat? Consideration of others? Children? Elderly? Not wanting the musty, old smoke smell in the drapes and carpet?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...... Consideration of others? Children? Elderly? Not wanting the musty, old smoke smell in the drapes and carpet?

Those are the reasons I do not smoke in the house.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yep, all of the above for me as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snow and pipe go quite well for me. You'll find me with pipe a-glow after a storm shoveling out the driveway and walkways. My neighbors all have snow blowers, but I enjoy the physical workout with clenched pipe, dog in tow, with my two boys, six and nine, out and about. Then hot coco or eggnog and rum after the work is done. My favorite time of year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

warren asks:
    "Are most of our members prohibited from smoking in the house, in comfort? Why?"

In the 70s and 80s and into the 90s, I smoked in the house and never gave a thought to the odor, whether in the drapes, carpet or whatever ... for a short time after Three Nuns stopped being Three Nuns and turned into an unrecognizable imitation, I quit smoking and everyone began to comment on the lack of odor ...

When I began smoking again, it was only cigars which I had always smoked on occasion, but even I don't care for the smell of stale cigar smoke, so I never smoked those in the house ... then, as I got out my pipes and dusted them off, added a few to the assortment and began trying new tobacco, I just never came back into the house with the smoking ... and while MrsS never gave me grief about smoking in the house years ago, she probably would now since smoke seems to be having a particularly negative effect on her respiratory system these days ...

All in all, I think it's better not to do so ... smoking in the house, for one thing, has a negative effect on the value of the place ... and that would make the habit even more expensive than it already is.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one thing that I enjoy about not smoking cigarettes is that my whole family loves the smell of the pipe. heck, my tobacco-nazi girlfriend demands that I light my pipe every time the dog farts. But, mostly I keep an aro or two just for appeasing the family. The room note lingers, and everyone seems to like it. Othrwise, they'd be burning tooty fruity candles or incense. I keep the Vas and VaPers in my store for working at the workbench, where I have an awesome venting system. But, the GF doesn't seem to mind those either.

Anyways, how do you guys stand to live where it gets so cold anyways? Here in Alabama, I hate the dead of winter, when I have to go buy socks, LOL.

I suggest smoking in the bathroom, and blowing it out the windows.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ramp up my smoking in the winter. The summer heat is what kills my taste for smoke.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I live in Iceland where it is cold 70% of the time but in the winter time when it snows and gets dark at night (summer nights have sun) and i can watch the stars and chill out i smoke a bit more and i ssmoke 10% slowe

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Winter is tough for me, because a I travel a good bit during the week and stay in hotels. Once temps dip below 45 degrees or so, smoking outside a hotel just isn't very enjoyable. During the summer, I keep a folding chair in my trunk and love those warm summer evenings with my pipe, Kindle and XM Radio via my phone. In the winter months, I seek out the decent mid-Atlantic pipe shops for their hospitality.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Year long smoking here in my workshop/mancave. 10x12 shed in my back yard, insulated and air conditioned.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

I understand some of the objections to many blends that might cause friction. But,it seems that everyone has a bit of that at various levels. We accommodate others willingly. But, pipe smoke is just another of those accommodations that can be addressed to mutual satisfaction.

A ozone emitter can control the degree there is smoking residue and odors to a remarkable degree. At $50 to a bit over $100, they aren't budget breakers. If you have ever used an ozone emitting air cleaner as I have, you quickly find that the accumulation of smoker residue on the metal grids removes a remarkable amout of smoking residue. If you couple that to an enclosed room and have the door closed, the room can become the room with the best air in the house.

It take a pretty opinionated individual to find fault with such a setup. I am sure they are there but it is worth the gamble.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are most of our members prohibited from smoking in the house, in comfort? Why?

I live in a very small space on my boat. I don't smoke below because if I fill it up with smoke I have nowhere to go to get away from it. And I don't want the smoke messing up any of my electronic equipment.

There is just something right about a warm smoldering bowl in the hand on a cold winters day.

Pipes make excellent hand-warmers.

Here in Colorado, it can get pretty damn cold, even in October and November.

Fortunately here in Puget Sound it doesn't get very cold. Only the wind and rain can be a problem. I have the cockpit covered so that is a nice place if the weather isn't too bad. Otherwise I can usually find a sheltered place or I can sit in the car in a park on the way home if I need to.

Winter is the slow season, but there's not reason to stop altogether. Also when I'm home in the winter I can visit the Seattle Pipe Club once a month and sit and smoke in a cozy environment with other pipers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The fast pace, on the go of summer is cigar time. Fall and winter is when I truly enjoy pipes. Nothing is better on a cold frosty morning than a pipe and coffee. I'm loading a large pipe to watch football. Nowhere to go nothing to do, don't care who wins or looses just me, ma, leather chair, cocktail and a large pipe filled with aged tobacco. I quit and sell the collection before I would sit outside and smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too smoke outside most of the time. I believe I will be investing in some sort of heater or one of those outdoor fire pits this year. Fall and spring are my favorite times for pipes.

Winter means I smoke more outside on my lanai and my front porch. I have been out on my lanai most of the day as it is a nice balmy 80 degrees with some cooling tropical breezes. I smoke indoors during the summer here in Florida.

Lucky dog!

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's outside for me. Not that I want to freeze my buns off, but my wife absolutely refuses to relent and let me have a room in the house for a "man cave."

I have tried it all: ozone eater; candles; fans galore; windows open, fans going; door to office open in freezing temps, heater going full blast, fan blowing, wearing layers and layers of clothing in my office at same time.

My wife, as I have said in the past, has best nose in the business. This winter, I have a small heater. I plan to head outside to the uncovered deck, sweep away the snow and try to get in a smoke. Last year I took off from the last of December to middle March. Just didn't want the grief and the constant complaints.

Hopefully, this winter, I'll make it to the first of the year before I have to call it quits until the thaw.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why don't you guys smoke in the house when it's cold? Or at least in the garage?

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel for you guys that have to smoke outside in the cold. It's time to set aside a room indoors. With proper ventilation and an air freshening system, you can make it work! Winter time is a great pipe smoking season and not to be missed. My man cave is upstairs and to the rear of the house, over the garage. The room has it's own heating/AC system. My pipe smoke cannot be detected anywhere else in the house. I also have a very tolerant wife!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My man cave is upstairs...

My upstairs is outside on deck. I have to climb the mast to get to the attic.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. ammohouse

ammohouse

Login to Send PM

Mrjerke has it right about South Dakota. I'm a Texas boy transplanted here because of the Air Force. The coldest I've been is 51 below...I aint smoking outside in that cold!

USAF AMMO RETIRED
    Posted 5 years ago #
  40. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Philip wrote:

My upstairs is outside on deck. I have to climb the mast to get to the attic.

You have to be quite an acrobat to smoke while climbing a mast. I hear the pendulum action is quite hair-raising!

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right around zero I start to rethink smoking out of doors. I like a crisp day and often smoke the pipe when walking the dog or driving the tractor blowing snow. A still night, like this evening with falling snow, is often the time for a pipe al fresco. But, as I get older I find I notice the coldness more.

I have a room in the house and the ozone machine that also has a spectacular view so I'm set. I have been known to wander out and about the house with the pipe. I had better not be burning latakia or perique though. The wife and the dog have no tolerance for those type of blends.

I don't either (lots of sneezing) but I love 'em!

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have to be quite an acrobat to smoke while climbing a mast.

Of course I can always sit in the "garage".

Sometimes this makes a nicer place.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to smoke outside because I have kids and I know my family wouldn't like the smell inside. As for my options outside, I live in a townhouse, so I have no garage or space for a shed. The back patio is my only option (on property) and there seems to usually be some wind. Stupid mountains.

I feel you smokers in Texas. I was stationed in Corpus Christi so I am well versed in the levels of too damn hot and too damn muggy.

Of course I am still going to smoke during the winter. I was just commenting that the nice days will be harder to come by. Going to need those sunny, calm 30 degree days as often as I can to give me a pleasurable smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Six below (F) right now, without the wind. Not pleasant to smoke outside in that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every time I decide to tell my wife, "I bought this house, I pay the mortgage and taxes, and damn it, I want one of our 4 bedrooms to smoke in," I think better of it and go outside or smoke in the garage.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do feel sorry for you folks who don't have "inside" smoking privileges.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  47. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you ever taken your asthmatic wife to the ER because she could not breathe? I have three times. She is also highly allergic to many things, including smoke. The daughter has similar issues, but to a lesser extent.

With this context, I am glad that I have a detached garage / workshop to smoke in. Once I am done, I immediately go straight to the shower and the clothes in the washer. Everyone is happy.

She would not enjoy the smoking tent at the Chicago Pipe Show.

Winton

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do smoke indoors when the weather is intolerable. I will open a window for ventilation and the wife doesn't mind either.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  49. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in Denver, well Lakewood actually but I have always smoked outside in the garage even before the wife. I find the heated garage to be a fine place for a winter smoke. Cmdrmcbragg give a shout sometime and we can get together for a bowl or two.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  50. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

I do feel sorry for you folks who don't have "inside" smoking privileges

Even IF my wife wasn't sensitive to smoke I doubt I'd smoke much inside. Pipe smoking and being outside(preferably in the woods)just seems about perfect to me, throw out the extremes(highs/lows) and there's still a lot of enjoyable outside puffing days in Northeast Ohio.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm often moving from one place to another on my jobs, so in the car my pipe and the morning and afternoon concert on NPR are my companions. If not there I try to get in the lee of the building, and hopefully in the sun....who am I kidding your are never out of the wind and in the sun in the winter

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife and I are on the worst possible terms right now. So much so that if she were to come north to the house in Woodstock I would probably leave. But during peaceful times the first floor of the house is for smoking, no smoking upstairs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke inside for several reasons:

1. Wife wouldn't allow it
    2. I wouldn't around my infant son
    3. This is a house we hope to sell in a few years- and in the current climate I don't see anyway I could have a smoking room and not take an enormous hit on value.

I'm in South Dakota- and the winters here get pretty cold- on decent days I'll probably take a short lunt, or sit in the garage with a heater.

I'm with Kashmir- I love days with fresh snow and sunshine…when its not windy it doesn't seem that cold. I'll probably have a few short smokes in that.

Spring and Fall is where my smoking will really live. The summer it gets crazy hot and humid. There'll be winter days that it won't be worth the battle.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently fighting the battle in the 31 degree garage. Going to get down to 3 tonight. Really wishing I could smoke indoors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I'll be smoking more now that it isn't hotter than the surface of the sun outside, here in Florida.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the cooler weather (we don't get past 30 degrees very often in the Pacific Northwest).

I can smoke in my shop, but if I'm there I'm usually too busy to smoke, so it's the house for me. My place on the couch is right where the window opens, so I crack it about an inch and settle in.

Even though my wife is an asthmatic, for some reason the smoke doesn't bother her (Winton I feel for you - a severe attack is terrifying) so I'm lucky. If the smoke smell gets a little thick, the windows opens wider, and the fireplace burns hotter.

I'm hoping that when I retire I can make it to the Seattle Pipe Club, but right now it just wouldn't work for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's currently a balmy 28 degrees in South Dakota. Garage, space heater, coat & hat.....no big.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

Garage, kerosene heater and an old recliner picked from the trash gets me threw the cold months.

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe Season?!

Bah!

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Garage, kerosene heater and an old recliner picked from the trash gets me threw the cold months.

I sit in my garage, in my Mustang GT, listing to the burble of the dual exhaust, garage door closed and the heater on full.

It is funny though, nicotine always makes me way more woozy when I smoke like that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nova Scotia, the water puddles from Monday's rain are now frozen solid. Glad I smoke inside.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  62. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

I live in a moderate winter climate outside of Houston. The late fall and winter nights are usually around 40 degrees. Since I have to smoke outside I use a portable heater that runs on LPG like the ones you see in restaurants. Works great!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88