PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olbaidhh

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Fall is my season, I seem to come alive with the sights, sounds and smells of fall. I am looking for that tobacco that screams fall.
What can you suggest and more important why?

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
When the weather gets cooler, I gravitate more toward lat heavy blends and smoke less Virginias. I smoke lat blends year round, but they seem particularly appropriate to cool weather; I don't know why. The camp firey nature of them I guess.
I also tend to smoke more aromatics in the Fall...C&D's Autumn Evening has become a recent favorite.

My favorite two Fall tobaccos are Irish Oak and GLP's Laurel Heights. They both embody the smell of the leaves, the musty trees, while walking the dogs along the stream or out hunting. But, it's not quite Fall here. It's still quite sweltering, and the leaves aren't even thinking about colors yet.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I will tend to move toward a little Latakia- GL Pease Maltese Falcon & Westminster, as well as some Frog Morton Cellar.
I will continue to smoke Virginias, but will probably move toward more complexity, such as GL Pease Haddo's Delight.
The exception to this is McClelland Christmas Cheer, which I try to smoke in the fall/winter whenever I'm able to survive my freezing garage....which is not often.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I will tend to move toward a little Latakia- GL Pease Maltese Falcon & Westminster, as well as some Frog Morton Cellar.
Seconded.
@olbaidhh Along these lines you could also try Margate, it's a good deal easier to find than its fellow Esoterica blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just had a bowl of Margate as a sample from The Briar Patch in Sacramento. Very nice. It was in a big glass jar among their many bulk offerings. They also have a genius on the buffer. Made my garage sale pipe look new. (I did remove the crud on the exterior (and interior) prior to taking it in.)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The smokey, woodsy, earthy Latakia blends are my favorites in the cool weather as well.

Some of my favorites are;
H&H Black House

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

McClelland Balkan Blue (formerly Blue Mountain)

SG Balkan Flake

GLP Gaslight

All of the Frogs

H&H Mazatec

Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake

Boswell Northwoods
I also like Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired in the cool weather.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
There are always Sutliff "taste of autumn". C&D "autumn evening". 4Noggins "harvest moon"
I have tried them all and they do hit the spot.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Gawith St. James Flake. Fairly full bodied for a VaPer, but a nice sweet undertone. Just tastes like harvest season to me. Great on a crisp fall evening.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
As the chill descends, I like to light up a bit of Vintage Syrian and Squadron Leader. And for the treat, a nice big bowl of Charing Cross. Cross is a wonderful fall/winter smoke.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just smoked my first bowl of GLP Odyssey ... it's on the Fall list of smokes for sure! Deep, dark Va's like Astley's #44 too. :puffy:

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I tend to like C&D Autumn Evening in the Fall as well. It has a great citrus, maple flavor that just brings back a lot of nostalgic memories of growing up on a farm.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have a favourite blend but as the weather begins to turn colder I tend to smoke more English and Lat blends. I smoke them once in awhile in the warmer months but just seem to enjoy them more when the mercury plummets. :puffy:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I love McClelland's Deep Hollow a ton. I have a big tin waiting for the daily temps to get down into the 70s here in Denver. The last few weeks have been nothing but mid-high 90s and sometimes high 80s.
I'm done with summer, give me autumn!

Jun 4, 2014
Fall my favorite season, time for more Latakia! Some of my favorites are GLP Gaslight, C&D Engine 99, C&D Mountain Camp, Nat Sherman 536 and others.

olbaidhh

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Thanks everyone that is a good list... I've added most of them to my cart at P&C.com. Even the smallest portions I'm looking at $250. Time to narrow it down to a top 5 or 10 and give them a try.

olbaidhh

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Here is what I have so far, a $250 bill and more than I will smoke this fall. Any suggestions on narrowing this down a bit?
MY Blend Fall

5 x Latakia

1 x Toasted Burley

2 x Whiskey
Peterson Irish Oak
GL Pease Laurel Heights
GL Pease Maltese Falcon
GL Pease Westminster
GL Pease Haddo's Delight
GL Pease Charing Cross
GL Pease Odyssey
McClelland Craftsbury