PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I am soliciting your help in finding the perfect blend for this season. I am looking for something with virginias and orientals as the main players, a touch of perique for support and here is the tricky part; just a hint of latakia. I like latakia but to me, it takes very little of it to completely steal the show and I'd like to find a blend in which it is barely noticeable. I have been reading reviews of G.L. Pease's Piccadilly and it sounds like that one could fit the bill but I am curious about what you guys would recommend. Thanks!

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks fitzy, I actually have a tin of Yenidje Highlander in my stash but never tried it. Maybe it's time to crack it open!

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Pagan, I just opened a tin of Samarra yesterday and had the first bowl in a large Comoy's 127 tonight. Very decent smoke but I find the latakia is still too present...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
C&D's Tuskegee Airman is a favorite of mine, and may fit the bill. Va, Turkish, Perique, and a hint of Latakia.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yes you definitely need to crack that baby open. The latakia really is a condiment just faintly in the background.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sounds great.
I'd give you more suggestions but I'm not sure how much latakia you would want. 3 Oaks Syrian also from McClellands is dynamite too.
Also Frog Morton Cellar.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't had Samarra, so I don't know how this compares in terms of Latakia, but Chelsea Morning might fit the bill -- light on the Latakia, a good base of VAs with Orientals, plus Perique to give it all a nice, fruity, savory tang.
Also, Dunhill Nightcap is fairly light on the Latakia, at least compared to most GL Pease offerings. Nightcap has Perique.
Almost forgot, McClelland Jubilee is definitely light on the Latakia, but fairly balanced with sweet VAs, soft Orientals and a touch of Perique. Like Chelsea Morning, the Perique here just sort of rounds everything out and adds a bit of savory tanginess.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Piccadilly has very little latakia it is more a Virginia base with just a pinch of perique . It is however very complex and every sip yields a different a subtle flavor note . You could also try Frog Morton it is also a English light blend .

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Another vote for Germans SLF, if you can find it of course. I'd add Presbyterian.

Status
Not open for further replies.