PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
With the leaves changing, Archery season, and the addition of everything pumpkin spice, I start craving blends like Autumn Evening and Maple Street. Both are great blends and invoke the few of the season. I was surfing tobaccoreviews.com and came across and old (no longer produced) Sutliff blend called taste of fall. I know they also have one called Pumpkin Spice. Has anyone smoked either of these? My curiosity is certainly peeked. i also tend to smoke more English blends and blends that feature Dark Fired during the cooler months. What are your favorite fall blends aro or otherwise?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I lean tward English and Dark Fired in the colder months, But if your looking for a mild aro try EITC Royal Challenge or Cellar both are usaly on sale at P&C for as low as $%.50 a tin and are nice blends

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I tried to order Some Pumpkin Spice but they were all out. I like Pancake, Autumn Evening , Black Spice and Candy Cane Cocoa .

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I love autumn evening, can't wait till it gets cold around here, I have my fire pit ready!!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I find it rather odd that some folks associate certain blends to changing seasons. Surely any blend will taste the same irrespective of the time of year it is smoked?
Just because a given blend has 'autumn' or 'fall' in its name doesn't mean that it should be smoked at that time of year. Rather like 'Early Morning Pipe' & 'Nightcap' appear to be suggestive as to when they should be smoked, that is codswallop it's just a brand name likely plucked out of a hat.
I personally notice no changes in the flavours of any of my preferred blends over a 12 month period. Perhaps some folks have more attuned palates than I have and really do notice a change.
Tex, if you're looking for a decent dark fired blend then I would highly recommend Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired or their Bold Kentucky which has more oomph.!
Regards,
Jay.

Jay, everyone is different. Sometimes I get a wiff of something that jars a childhood memory, a smell will remind me of playing at my grandmother's house, my dad's tractor, an old car I used to own smelled "green" to me. Fall, with leaves falling, colors turning amber, different crops available for harvest, different seasonal dishes, gawd-awful Halloween candy... each season has it's smell, flavors, colors, memories.
Sure, sure, the tobacco never changes. But, there are factors that go into tasting a blend that are beyond just tastebuds and objective olfactory sciences. There's a magic... cold air, bonfires, ball games, warm chili, shorter days, and latakia... There is just something different about seasons and how they affect some of us. Something magical.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Jay I love both of those MacB blends. They are absolutely delicious and the punch from the BK is great.

May 4, 2015
Not having so whimsically overthunk it like Michael, I just like different blends at different times. If it's too hot, I don't like latakia.
Some blends taste more "refreshing" than others and those are better for me in warmer weather.
Iced tea and lemonade taste the same in winter, but they get drunk much more frequently in summer.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There is just something different about seasons and how they affect some of us. Something magical."
Michael, of that I am in no doubt, indeed I welcome the changes from one season to another, always something beautiful happening in nature to witness. It's just that I have difficulty in making a connection twixt that and what one smokes, that's all.
Bear in mind I am only just over being a one year-old pipe smoker so perhaps in time some connection might be made...though I fear my thoughts will still be the same. Perhaps I'm just too 'one dimensional'?
Regards,
Jay.
PS: MV all packaged up, I just need to walk the 100 yards to the PO to send it off :puffy:

Thanks Jay...
You are still building pipe memories. In the Fall I have this one memory that I love most, several years ago, I was walking the dogs out through the woods and over the mountain here. I plopped down by a stream and packed my Nording Valhalla 204 with GLP's Laurel Heights, Virginia with just a whisper of latakia. The swirling of the leaves in the air, the stream, the way the pipe and tobacco worked in unison... it burned into the lizardy recesses of my brain, and whenever I see the first leaves make their plummet from the tree, I can taste that day.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
There's a shop in Kentucky called Straus Tobacco, they have a blend called Sleepy Hollow, and from the reviews is very well liked. It's a pumpkin spice blend. I'm trying to get a 1/2 lb for myself to try out.
Fall for me is the time when I start churning out the smoking in gerneral. I take a break in the summer months, due to not wanting to sit out side with all the bugs.
Plus cooler weather for me screams english blends. So it'll be Gaslight, Billy Budd, and Sextant in the pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ' Fire Storm is a good choice for fall. A few of us seem to have discovered or rediscovered Iwan Ries Three Stars Blue lately; it's mild but flavorful. Russ' Log Cabin, a Va/Bur/Cav blend is a nice one too.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"For what it's worth, you're in Cornwall. The climate there is fairly 'one dimensional,' yes?"
Tom, over the last 7 or 8 years or so I have noticed little change in the yearly climate here save a few degrees colder come October to say March...it is more of a blur these days. Of course the geography of Cornwall gives us weather akin to living on a small island on the edge of the Atlantic (which we effectively are) with serious winds and lashing rain. However when the sun does decide to make an appearance there could be no nicer place to be :)
Have you ever visited Cornwall yourself? I am actually a Yorkshire/Derbyshire lad but have lived here since 1988.
Regards,
Jay.

May 4, 2015
I have not yet had the pleasure!
No offense was intended, of course. I was just proposing that perhaps "seasonal blend preference" may be less of a consideration in somewhere like there, as opposed to somewhere like here where we can see swings of 80 degrees plus/minus between the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.