PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've been wanting a Falcon style pipe (the removable bowls, metal shank, etc.) and I see them all the time...but I see very similar looking pipes, the nicest of which are Dr. Grabow Vikings. The Vikings are nicer to the wallet, and I was wondering, is it comparable? Is there a significant difference between Viking and Falcon? All advice is appreciated, thank you!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't know anything about the Vikings but, to me, the fact that one can easily buy extra bowls and supplies for Falcon is an important consideration.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm a big Falcon fan and have smoked the Dr. Grabow Viking, in fact it was the second pipe I ever bought. I like the Falcon pipes better. They smoke cooler then the Viking and I think Falcons are constructed better. You get what you pay for.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I figured there was some difference, as usually "you get what you pay for" is pretty apt regarding pipes. Thanks for the input, guys. Very appreciated!

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I only have a Viking so can't compare them. One difference is that the Viking stem is removable as designed and the Falcon that may not be done with out damage. I do like the way the Viking works but wish new bowls were easily available.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Oh wow I didn't even know the Viking wasn't designed to be removable. I'm glad you guys responded! When I convince myself I'm allowed to buy another pipe (ha!), it'll definitely be a Falcon. THANK you, guys!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Falcon owners seem very pleased with those pipes, so I'd go ahead with that. Dr. Grabow pipes are good ones, too, so eventually, I think you'd like one of those too. Personally, I like to replace the filter with a Savinelli adaptor so you can smoke without a filter. Of the Grabow series, I'd spend a few dollars more and get one of the Royalton pipes, with a nice acrylic stem and a little higher grade finish. They are durable, good looking, solid American factory pipes; I own two, a bulldog and an apple that looks more like a prince to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, forgot the Viking was the Dr. Grabow aluminum stemmed pipe. Definitely go with the Falcon. It's still being made (I don't think the Viking is) and it's more popular for a reason (the Falcon). My recommendation on the Royalton briar pipes stands.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I find the Viking pipes easier to clench and to clean. Bowls are easy to find on ebay though the only new ones I've seen being sold were made in Mexico. If you find any Koolsmoke bowls (another brand of metal pipe) they are also interchangeable with Viking pipes.
Why not have a Viking and a Falcon? I have two Falcons and three Vikings. There's always room for one more, right?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The big advantage to a Falcon is they are still being made and can be bought new cheaply. It hardly pays to buy one of these pipes used, the price differential is not a bank-breaker, and used is the only way you'll get a Viking.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Is there a way I can get notified every time somebody replies to a post? I've been having to keep track of pages on here because this is the first forum I've ever participated in, and I don't know my way around. I don't want to miss anybody's replies! Thanks again for the advice, and, while my wallet disagrees, the answer to your question, tuold, is there is absolutely always room for one more pipe haha!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Is there a way I can get notified every time somebody replies to a post?
Click on "Add this topic to your favourites" at the top of the thread.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm happy to report I picked up a beautiful vintage American made Falcon and spent about an hour cleaning it up, and wow it smokes amazing! It looks brand new now, too, after the cleaning and buffing. Thanks for the push in the right direction, guys!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
History lesson of the day: Falcon sued Grabow for basically hijacking their design. Grabow redesigned the fluting/ ribs so their pipe looked a little different than a Falcon.
One might be able to get replacement bowls directly by calling Dr Grabow; I know you could a year or so back.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good info Michiganlover.
I like my Falcon. I just don't have much of a reason to grab it lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.