PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked this old Falcon up at an antique store last weekend. It was a pretty big wreck when I got it, as you can see:
image-9.jpg

I'd never done a metal pipe or the bowls to them so I thought this one would make a good start.
It had a ton of cake that needed reaming out, which was very uneven; I wonder if it had been reamed out of round prior and then not touched for many a bowl? It took quite a bit of rubbing to get the grime and whitish-looking "mold" off the bowl but eventually it came clean. I used USMC Black to re-dye the bowl, buffing some off before flaming to make it not "totally" black.
The aluminum pipe itself I cleaned by soaking in Oxyclean, for it and the stem. I hand polished the pipe with leather scraps and lace that I applied green rouge to, holding it in a hobby vise. The bit has a rather deep toothmarks that wouldn't raise all the way out. I filed it some and then began to sand with 220/320/400/800 wet/dry sandpaper, then onto the micro mesh, 1500-4000. Everything then got buffed up with Formby's paste wax.
Diptic-2.jpg

Diptic-3.jpg

More photos are in the "Falcon" album if you're interested: Falcon Album

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, guys. I am looking forward to doing the next one: didn't realize until this afternoon I have another one from that big haul I got last summer! LOL It doesn't seem to be in quite as bad a shape so hopefully it'll come out ever better. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.