Falcon pipes...I can't decide.

(39 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by scloyd
  • Latest reply from mawnansmiff
  1. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at Falcon pipes and I'm just not sure how I feel about them. I feel like the cartoon where the devil is whispering in my ear one thing and the angel is whispering the opposite in the other ear.

I like the idea of the interchangeable bowls...I don't really like the chrome shanks.

Any comments, good or bad about Falcon pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could buy the International stems. They look more traditional.
    https://www.4noggins.com/falcon-pipe-stems.aspx (Scroll to bottom)

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with you. I have just been looking at the same exact thing. I'm not the biggest fan of the chrome shanks, but I think they make some that are not chrome looking. I think some are brown, if I remember right. Like you, I'm enticed by the ability to swap out bowls. Seems like a good and somewhat cheap way to smoke what type of bowl you're in the mood for whenever you want, and you don't have to worry so much about letting bowls rest. Just wonder if the metal stem would build excess condensation inside causing a "wet smoke"

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some Forums members have whole racks. I think I like the idea of the utilitarian mental shank, but I am attached to the briar pipe concept enough that I don't want the briar just for the bowl. The interchangeable aspect is nifty in a mechanical way, but it usurps the natural materials aspect at least for the bowl and shank. I think Falcons are good sturdy smokers, but maybe not so sumptuous as an open draw briar. So yes, they fascinate me, but maybe not so much the actual smoking them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ray47...I do like the International stem much better. Didn't realize it was an option. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They are dirt cheap on ebay, definately worth trying they smoke really well and are practically indestructible.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plus you can cut them down.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

I'll try them someday. That day is not in the very near future. I just don't find them very appealing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just wonder if the metal stem would build excess condensation inside causing a "wet smoke"
    They have a "Humi-Dome" (I think that's what they call it) that collects excess moisture. You can even put a piece of pipe cleaner in it to help absorb any excess moisture. I have 4-5 stems with multiple bowls, even meer and they all smoke VERY well.I'm getting ready to rid myself of 90% of my briars and the Falcons will stay...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

So I was totally against falcons purely on aesthetics. I didn’t like the metal stem. But there was a sale on them on whatever website a few years ago and I pulled the trigger. Well that was a good thing. Firstly with the draft holes in the center bottom it burns all the tobacco, I don’t seem to have any left overs. The special ring pipe cleaners that collect all the moisture can actually be made with a 45-70 shell casing and a regular pipe cleaner. The falcon thin pipe cleaners are not needed. You can change the bowls as many times as you like, pre pack a few and bring the one stem with you out and about. The only complaint I have is that the chambers are a bit smaller - and it’s ugly. But as a smoker? It’s well worth it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought one, I dig it.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can buy all black Hunter stems instead of the chrome or International stems, they are what I use. You can find them on eBay.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to check out eBay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go for it love my Falcons.
    Yes they are cheap on eBay if your lucky but they can go for substantial prices if you’re bidding against a collector.
    I have noticed a few of my bowls have splits on the bottom, I think this is due to heat, that part of the bowl screws to the aluminium bowl. They don’t develop into anything and of course you can’t see them.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not the prettiest of smoking implements I'll grant you but they do indeed make for great smokers. I suggest you buy one and try it out. If all is hunky dory then just buy further bowls as required.

Don't forget, only Falcon bowls will fit Falcon pipes, all the metal pipe manufacturers had their own screw threads unique to themselves.

Now how long afore Simon pops up with his brake hose thing

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was the author of a similar post a few months ago. I ended up getting one of the brown international stems and a Plymouth bowl. It smokes great and is a great “trip pipe” for packing up. My gripe is the bit. It’s not particularly uncomfortable, but it feels very different than any other pipe I’ve smoked. But overall I say try one out. I’m glad to have one!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're drawn to them, I'd sure get one. They're not expensive and they are a unique addition to the rack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After reading all of the comments I think I'm going to get one. Not a huge investment and if I don't like it...I'll give it to my son or son-in-law.

Thanks everyone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple and enjoy them. I added meer bowls and they really sing now.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a customized Falcon that I cut down and then added a Meer bowl. It is a fantastic travel pipe. Often just take it when I travel. Very easy to clean and keep pounding tobacco in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did it! I ordered a Falcon International Straight stem with a Falcon Rustic Snifter bowl. Ordered from Tobaccopipes.com, which I've had great dealings with in the past. Didn't see any on SP or P&C. Tobaccopipes online store was actually cheaper than their ebay store. Cost me $32 for stem and $32 for the bowl.

I guess the little devil in my ear won this time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ashdigger - Nice!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

to scloyd
    I have a couple of std pipes and one International. TBH I prefer the std.
    The only criticism I have with Falcon pipes is that the stem ends feel and taste exactly like the end of a Biro. It brings back memories of school.
    But they are great for clenchers. So light, with soft stem and small bowls.
    You will be surprised how well they smoke. There is really no need for anything else. I too put a section of pipe cleaner inside the aluminium ring. And it does feel great to be able to truly clean your pipe. I have put mine in with the dishwater.
    Buy a couple.
    You are not a true pipist without one.

Posted 11 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Cracking pipes, just started to use my 2 regularly again. Added 2 new bowls recently and really enjoying the no nonsense, easy maintenance pipe smoking. After smoking my 6 and 9mm filter pipes it seems you get so much more flavour in the straight through Falcons, seem to 'sip' much better too.

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I love my Falcon. I smoke Burley blends in it. They're good smokers.

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

Hate the way they look but love the way they smoke.

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a Falcon...International stem with a briar snifter bowl a couple of days after I started this thread. I really enjoy my Falcon. A couple more bowls including a meer is on my wish list.

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A useful tip for Falcon smokers. Rather than buying the rather expensive circular absorbent rings, buy some cheap fluffy pipecleaners and cut them into roughly one inch sections. Then with each section, wrap it around a pencil or biro and press firmly then slide off. Proceed with the rest until you have enough to last for several months.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes sir, I make my own dry rings with pipe cleaners. Saves money...more money to spend on tobacco.

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Yes sir, I make my own dry rings with pipe cleaners. Saves money...more money to spend on tobacco.

This. I've actually never talked to a falcon owner who bought the dry rings.

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I have tried my Falcons with the dry ring and without and they are much better, taste wise, without them.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 10 months ago #
  32. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried using Dry Rings and I hated them. I now have about 10 packs I'll never use. I much prefer the airflow without them.

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I tried using Dry Rings and I hated them. I now have about 10 packs I'll never use. I much prefer the airflow without them.

Yes, absolutely, that too!

Posted 10 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Agreed ashdigger and pipebuddy.

Posted 10 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

I have tried Falcons a couple of times and agree they smoke wonderfully.I also cant stand the bits though and have sold them again.I wish the bits were better if they were I would definitely buy one again.

Posted 10 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

Just noticed they've started making briars

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/l/Pipes/Falcon-Pipes-

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes.. I have seen some falcon briars here and there. Not very common around here, but considering the quality smoke of your classical falcons, I would like to try one of them briars should I come across it.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 10 months ago #
  38. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

ashdigger

Preferred Member

I make mine so that there's a 1/8 inch gap, which I place so that the gap is in front of the airway and it works great. No airflow restriction and it absorbs moisture still.

Posted 10 months ago #
  39. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I make mine so that there's a 1/8 inch gap, which I place so that the gap is in front of the airway and it works great. No airflow restriction and it absorbs moisture still."

I was just about to say the very same thing but you beat me to it. Placed properly they provide a dry yet unrestricted smoke.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   olkofri, forciori, dmcmtk, donjgiles, mso489, doug535, lawdawg, loborx, username, jaytex969, milehighpiper, jeff540, the85boro, haparnold, cigrmaster