PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've been looking at Falcon pipes and I'm just not sure how I feel about them. I feel like the cartoon where the devil is whispering in my ear one thing and the angel is whispering the opposite in the other ear.
devilangel-125x150.jpg

I like the idea of the interchangeable bowls...I don't really like the chrome shanks.
Any comments, good or bad about Falcon pipes?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm with you. I have just been looking at the same exact thing. I'm not the biggest fan of the chrome shanks, but I think they make some that are not chrome looking. I think some are brown, if I remember right. Like you, I'm enticed by the ability to swap out bowls. Seems like a good and somewhat cheap way to smoke what type of bowl you're in the mood for whenever you want, and you don't have to worry so much about letting bowls rest. Just wonder if the metal stem would build excess condensation inside causing a "wet smoke"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Forums members have whole racks. I think I like the idea of the utilitarian mental shank, but I am attached to the briar pipe concept enough that I don't want the briar just for the bowl. The interchangeable aspect is nifty in a mechanical way, but it usurps the natural materials aspect at least for the bowl and shank. I think Falcons are good sturdy smokers, but maybe not so sumptuous as an open draw briar. So yes, they fascinate me, but maybe not so much the actual smoking them.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
ray47...I do like the International stem much better. Didn't realize it was an option. Thanks

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
They are dirt cheap on ebay, definately worth trying they smoke really well and are practically indestructible.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
I'll try them someday. That day is not in the very near future. I just don't find them very appealing.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just wonder if the metal stem would build excess condensation inside causing a "wet smoke"
They have a "Humi-Dome" (I think that's what they call it) that collects excess moisture. You can even put a piece of pipe cleaner in it to help absorb any excess moisture. I have 4-5 stems with multiple bowls, even meer and they all smoke VERY well.I'm getting ready to rid myself of 90% of my briars and the Falcons will stay...

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
So I was totally against falcons purely on aesthetics. I didn’t like the metal stem. But there was a sale on them on whatever website a few years ago and I pulled the trigger. Well that was a good thing. Firstly with the draft holes in the center bottom it burns all the tobacco, I don’t seem to have any left overs. The special ring pipe cleaners that collect all the moisture can actually be made with a 45-70 shell casing and a regular pipe cleaner. The falcon thin pipe cleaners are not needed. You can change the bowls as many times as you like, pre pack a few and bring the one stem with you out and about. The only complaint I have is that the chambers are a bit smaller - and it’s ugly. But as a smoker? It’s well worth it.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Go for it love my Falcons.

Yes they are cheap on eBay if your lucky but they can go for substantial prices if you’re bidding against a collector.

I have noticed a few of my bowls have splits on the bottom, I think this is due to heat, that part of the bowl screws to the aluminium bowl. They don’t develop into anything and of course you can’t see them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not the prettiest of smoking implements I'll grant you but they do indeed make for great smokers. I suggest you buy one and try it out. If all is hunky dory then just buy further bowls as required.
Don't forget, only Falcon bowls will fit Falcon pipes, all the metal pipe manufacturers had their own screw threads unique to themselves.
Now how long afore Simon pops up with his brake hose thing :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I was the author of a similar post a few months ago. I ended up getting one of the brown international stems and a Plymouth bowl. It smokes great and is a great “trip pipe” for packing up. My gripe is the bit. It’s not particularly uncomfortable, but it feels very different than any other pipe I’ve smoked. But overall I say try one out. I’m glad to have one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're drawn to them, I'd sure get one. They're not expensive and they are a unique addition to the rack.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
After reading all of the comments I think I'm going to get one. Not a huge investment and if I don't like it...I'll give it to my son or son-in-law.
Thanks everyone.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's a customized Falcon that I cut down and then added a Meer bowl. It is a fantastic travel pipe. Often just take it when I travel. Very easy to clean and keep pounding tobacco in.
ETKKZdi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.