PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ive really been looking hard at these, does anyone have any experience with them? If some one could post a review of one i would be very appreciative.
Im looking at these as maybe a hunting or outdoor pipe. Take the stem and two or three bowls pre filled wrapped in seran wrap or tin foil to smoke as the day progresses.
Any info would be nice

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Not my cup of tea.
Personally I've never had a problem carrying a pipe or two plus a roll-up tobacco pouch; through the woods, on the water, etc.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I had a Falcon for quite a while (until some one walked off with it from the pub) and I think it would be perfect for what you want. The metal stems are quite strong and the bowls are easy to change. It also means you can build up your pipe collection for just the price of the new bowls. That makes it cheaper to have a bowl for each style of tobacco you smoke. I would certainly have another Falcon. They are a "love them or hate them" kind of pipe though!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have six and really like them. I turn off the bowl after each smoke and just wipe them out then I blow down the stem, it's good to go. Nice cool clean smoke and if You pack it to tight turn off the bowl and just push up the baccy a bit with a pipe tool. The stem is not to be re moved but it can be but I don't. Myself I just use a pipe cleaner every 2 days on mine. :puffy:

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I smoke My Falcon about 15-18 bowls a day, takes Me about 6sec. to remove bowl wipe out and turn bowl back on.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
If I was retired and stayed at home it might be a different story, but I smoke a lot while driving on business travel and it is not conducive to safe driving.
Marc, You hit it head on. It is a pipe for just sitting around and not for messing with when You need both hands free. I'm retired so it works well for Me at home. Most of the time when I go some place I take a pipe that I don't have to mess with wiping out.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a Falcon pipe that doesn't get much use, though Im not really sure why. Its a very nice smoke and I have to say that out of all the estate pipes I own, it was the easiest to restore. Remove bowl, swab the inside with Everclear. Take a paper towl dipped in Everclear and swab out the metal chamber bottom. Run Everclear soaked stem through the inside and it is good to go.

Nov 12, 2014
I love Falcon pipes and have several - I always find them a cool and satisfying smoke and although I have a few far more expensive pipes, including a forty year old Dunhill, I tend to smoke my falcon more than any other pipe. My limited edition Falcon white tip is beautiful. Not for nothing are Falcon the world's bestselling pipe

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Falcon Pipes. I have said it before and I will say it again. I loath them and associate that pipe with flat hat wearing open toe sandal wearing people from 'up North' who go on holiday to Blackpool and keep racing pigeons or ferrets and smoke St Bruno and stay in the same boarding house every year! The DNA from which nightmares evolve from after eating too much port and cheese! :nana:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
they are what they are.. some guys like red-heads and some guy can't handle them. imo, if you are using it correctly and changing out the bowls after a smoke or two how much overhead can it add to either use a tissue or just give the pipe a good shake.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I picked up an estate Falcon when I bought

A meerschaum bowl from Meerqueen. This

combination works pretty well for me. It's

a favored pipe for when an aromatic fits the

agenda like indoor cold weather,family home

smokes.

Mike S.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have had an estate Falcon for about 3 years and just started smoking it for the first time last week.

Nice enough pipe and gives a decent smoke. I'll keep smoking it on occasion.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I really like them, but have found they are best suited to smoking my beloved Lakeland blends, and especially Condor. The synergy is undeniable, the smokes celestial. I think briar and meerschaum outperform Falcons on most tobaccos, but not by much. Drawing your puffs across the pool of juice in the humidome imparts its own special twang to the flavor imho. I've got two stems and two bowls and fire them up regularly. If lost or stolen I'd get two more, STAT!

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Get a meer bowl for that Falcon and any performance differences will disappear.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I have one and like it, good if you are on a budget as you can swap the bowls out. It's very easy to clean and smokes pretty well though I suppose it depends what you are comparing it too. I think for the price they are worth having.
Edit: One thing I have noticed though they smoke quite cool for the most part, when you get to the bottom of the bowl the metal does heat up a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one (a Falcon) and have never had a strong enough yin to buy one, but the enthusiasm

of those who have them makes me a believer. They're not expensive and are very durable, and

people feel comfortable hauling them everywhere. I'm just so attached to the concept of the bowl

and wooden shank all in a piece, all of my pocket pipes are briar or cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.