PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
I have an estate Falcon pipe which I like, however the one bowl I have for it ( an "Algiers" shape I think) has a tapered chamber - considerably wider inside at the top than at the bottom of the bowl.

To me this makes some tobacco harder to load as the shape contributes to the tobacco wanting to spring up and not tamp down as I'd like.
Does anyone know if any of the other shapes, such as the Genoa (very attractive IMO) are also tapered inside, or do they have straight walls?

I have found sites that list the bowls outside dimensions and chamber opening size, but no luck on chamber measurements further down the bowl. I don't want to order a bowl online and find it has the same issue as mine.

Any experienced input is much appreciated

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The billiard and Dublin bowls do not have a taper to them. The Billiard is slightly wider around mid bowl, but not by much. In the Classic range, brandy shaped bowl has just a slight taper and the Istanbul shaped its not too bad in terms of taper.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
mrenglish...... yes the Istanbul shape was another one that caught my eye on the 4noggins site. Have been trying a lot of different tobaccos recently to narrow my favourites down to 4 or 5 that I can stockpile.
In the OTC offerings CH seems to be the 'springiest' in the Falcon bowl I currently have. Recently tried SWR, similar to CH, but it packs much better, stays packed throughout the smoke with much less tamping needed and seems to burn slower. May have to soon include a new bowl with an order...........thanks!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have Billard, Dover, and Apple shapes - like them all and have never had any problems packing a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.