PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Have any of you folks tried turning a Falcon or Viking pipe bowl?

I know there are some very talented craftsmen on this site and figured someone had probably made a few.

Thought I might try to turn a couple on my lathe for fun when time permits. The threads are the only area of concern for me. I will probably try a Viking bowl first using some Cherry or Mulberry.

Any Idea of thread size for either maker? Any pointers?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
You'll probably save yourself a considerable amount of hassle by using the o-ring method. Machine a groove at the bottom of the bowl to accept an appropriately sized o-ring that will allow the bowl to "screw" into the pipe. This method has the beauty of being viable for a number of different metal pipes.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hobo Pipes is a blog out of Australia (I think). He's made some Falcon bowls. Google and email can get you info about the threads.
Good Luck. Oh don't forget to post the pics.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Dave Anderson (Hobo Pipes) uses the o-ring method as well. He might well have the thread specs but does not appear to use them for his pieces.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks darwin and leacha for your information.

Went to the shop a couple of hours ago and grabbed a piece of scrap wood and started turning a prototype.

The bowl I turned was from cherry and had several cracks etc. and is not useable, but it proved to me that the O-ring system works.

Now I just need to get some decent wood together and make a few.

I will try to post a pic of the rough prototype later this evening.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
img_0849-450x600.jpg

img_0848-600x450.jpg

Photos of the roughed out bowl.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
So how does it screw down or is it just pushed? If its a screw down and the o ring is there for tension and grip wouldn't it get torn up in a short while?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
From the way Dave Anderson describes it his builds screw in which wears the ring a bit but if the o-ring gets ratty it's no big deal, just replace it for chump change. Nording uses the o-ring system on their interchangeable bowl line but their bowl versions simply push in.

Status
Not open for further replies.