PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
So I just got my new 1950's Falcon and I really love it, the thin aluminum definitely seems to have a cooling factor and the pipe itself definitely looks really neat. I put off getting one for years in fear that the metal would cause a lot of tar to condense inside causing a really nasty smoke, this is definitely not the case here!
For the first time I actually enjoyed a bowl of tobacco without once having or wanting to run a pipe cleaner through, I normally do it like 4 times a smoke in a briar because I love having very dry, clean smokes, they just taste better. When still hot I removed the bowl to see just how much tar collected during my Frog Morton Cellar smoke only to find just the slightest amount of liquid in it, almost none to my surprise. I'm sure the pipe could be tilted forward and a pipe cleaner used if one wanted to remove it during a smoke. I also noticed that I got a little more flavor out of my FMC than normal too, I attributed this to a cooler smoke.
Now I know your gonna say "pics or it didn't happen," so I will save you the trouble and give you the direct eBay link to the original pipe that I won. Got it for a good price!
eBay Link - Scroll down to view the item, lots of adds on the top of the page
I think I'm buying a straight dental version for clenching, even though this is one of my lightest pipes, I cannot clench it due to my teeth being very sharp and not fitting right on the shape of this stem, however it is definitely a pleasure to hold, it's nearly weightless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good deal, and easy to clean up. I'm so attached to briar, but I might go the Falcon route some day.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
A Falcon was one of the first pipes I ever smoked. I absolutely loved it. Mine was a bent Falcon. Smoked cool, was easy to clean, so easy in fact I found my self cleaning it way to often and one day while taking the stem off I twisted the inner stem (the one that carries the smoke) and broke my Falcon. What a sad day. That being said they sell or you can manufacture from pipe cleaners a little ring that sets under the bowl and absorbs any moisture that may develop during a smoke. Happy puffing and enjoy your Falcon! :puffy:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I didn't really care for the Falcons during the outset of my pipe smoking a year ago, but I picked one up to see what the fuss was all about after a few months. I really like it. I don't know if I'd assemble a flock of Falcons, but my lone Falcon has a special place in my rotation. It does draw some attention and is a bit of a conversation starter when I am smoking it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have a Falcon and it's a great smoker, and as said, easy to clean. I also have the manual that came with it and, as deathand taxes found out, the stem is permanently attached to the shank - the instructions say never to remove it or you'll break your pipe. Not intuitive.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I love my falcons, they are a great change of pace and super cool and easy to clean. I do find that the taste of tobacco's varies a great deal in them, so it is worth experimenting to figure out the best combination. They make wonderful travel pipes as well, particularly if it is an estate because you don't need to worry about losing or breaking one and the ease of cleaning and bowl changing makes it perfect for the road.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Excellent pipes for a number of reasons not least of which how they feel and look. I smoke my two especially when walking the dog and choose a bowl style dependent on time available and type of tobacco. On a side note I have cleaned mine often but took the mouth piece off the other day and it was grim inside as I usually only move the pipe cleaner one way due to the design.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Sure wished mine would have come with a manual, but..... At least the bowl is still good and can be placed on another Falcon when I find the right replacement! And using it as a travel pipe is a great idea! I broke my Soren pipe this week due to travel issues (away from home all week due to work).

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Eric, glad you took the plunge! Once you own a Falcon, they're like potato chips - you can't have just one. Enjoy in good health!

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
They make falcon filters known as dry rings that go into the chamber underneath the bowl. But I've used a pipe cleaner as a substitute because thats basically what it is. You don't necessarily need it but some people might like to have it.

Now that you've enjoyed a falcon you can grab a meerschaum bowl from meerqueen and fall in love with it all over again.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
In the early 2000's I always thought they were ugly and cobs were a gimmick. Now I only smoke cobs and have been grabbing my Falcons to include in the rotation. They are wonderful pipes and I hate myself for thinking bad about 'em all those years ago.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
After endless dithering on Ebay I said the heck with it and bought a new stem & bowl from TobaccoPipes. Significantly less expensive than anyone else in the states with free shipping. Love those guys.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I also love Falcons and have four of them at the moment. A Falcon was my first ever 'proper' pipe when a young man. I still enjoy their looks and lightness of weight, plus they give a cool, smooth smoke. A tip from a pipe acquaintance, should your bowl ever get stuck to the chamber, is to freeze the whole thing for a few minutes. The two parts should then come apart. I've not tried it yet, but, some years ago, well before receiving this advice, a bowl simply would not come off and, tugging and twisting much too hard, I bent the central stem and had to throw the lot in the bin. This apart, my Falcons have a special place in my collection. I put the episode down to ignorant neglect at the time. I use the little rings regularly. They do help soak up the goo, but after a couple of smokes the draw is affected and a replacement is usually needed.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.