PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffers1

Lurker
Jul 21, 2014
Just got my first falcon pipe, and yes a good buy. really nice cool smoke, and a completely different smoking experience to my full bent billiard. What does everyone else think about them.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive been thinking of getting one myself. I bought a 1st generation Kirsten which I thought was silly at first smoke but its become one of my most liked pipes. It grabs more moisture out than any one I have. Im wondering how other aluminum pipes do in respect to removing moisture.
Looking forward to the answers here.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have never had a moisture problem with my Falcon: with or without a pipe cleaner ring in the humidome.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Excellent pipes, smoke and feel lovely, very robust and practical with a mix of bowl sizes depending on what you are going to smoke and you only need a few so no need for addiction issues. That said someone on a previous falcon thread had some stunning meerschaum bowl.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Got 2 stems, 4 bowls, nice smoke. All straights, been thinking about getting a full bent next.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Jeffers, glad you like your Falcon. I own several and have never been disappointed when I pick one up.
cmdr, Tobaccopipes and 4noggins sell new pipes. Ebay has a load of estates, which I'd tell you to go for. They're inexpensive, and easy to clean. Occasionally separate estate bowls show up.
All of mine except for 2 are estates. I bought a black one from Estonia and the Rainbow green from a Ebay dealer in England. The new ones seem a little lighter.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I have four Falcons now, three of the usual (one each of straight, bent and curved) and an International. I love each one, but particularly the curved. Six bowls between them. Light as a feather, robust and sturdy. They smoke cool, fresh and breaking in a bowl seems somehow easier than with normal briars. They are easy to clean, but remember to periodically check the aluminium bowl in case of a build up of the tars. They can sometimes escape via the rubber seal or, if you forget, you can suck up a mouthful of nasty-tasting stuff that isn't recommended. The little cleaner rings work fine in this respect. They look great in my opinion, simple design, workaday smoking tools. I find they are good for a straightforward smoke without fuss. If I want something a little more special, it is back to the briars! Enjoy your Falcon, Jeff!

Steve

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I like my falcon. I use it as my travel pipe. I made a travel case I posted up not too long ago that fits the pipe, three bowls, pipe cleaners, zippo, tamp, and a flask so I am at the ready!!

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
A Falcon International has the same interchangeable bowl system as the mainline Falcon pipes, but instead of the bare three-part aluminium stem structure it has a single rounded shank that is coated (at least mine is) with a dark colouring. A plastic stem slots on to this; I've noticed the plasticity is a bit chewy, but actually quite pleasing in the mouth.The pipe takes a filter (6mm, I think) and smokes perfectly well. In appearance, I find it to be less appealing than the standard Falcon system pipes, but it is a serviceable pipe to use and I think it is an attempt to produce something more akin to a regular looking briar shape. I don't tend to use it as much as my regular Falcons, but it is part of the group and as such has an attraction for me.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I like it because I can smoke more bowls in it that a regular briar before setting it aside. Wipe, load, go again.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
There's a Kindle book, Back From The Ashes, written by Kathy Worth, George Hunt's granddaughter (who was the distributor and later owner of Falcon) available on Amazon for $2.99 that might be interesting reading for you folks. Tells the history of Falcon from the perspective of the owner's family.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The Falcon pipe was a favorite of my paternal grandfather, and now that I have two (one very old American-made model, and the other British-made) I can see why. They DO smoke cool, are lightweight, durable, and (according to Richard Carleton Hacker in his "The Ultimate Pipe Book") offer a total of 13,680 individual pipe combinations based upon the availabilty of seven diffrent stem styles, and 48 different bowls! To keep them smoking dry you can purchase ready-made Dry Rings which install beneath the bowl, or simply use cut pieces of pipe-cleaner formed in a ring. I use the latter, shaping it around my Colibri Clip lighter, and it works well for me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Redbeard:
I made a travel case I posted up not too long ago that fits the pipe, three bowls, pipe cleaners, zippo, tamp, and a flask so I am at the ready!!
Was that the one made from what appeared to be a nylon kit originally designed to hold diabetic supplies? If so, it suited your purpose very well!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
snagstangl just gifted me one in a trade we made. I cleaned it up a little and built a fire. I like the light weight and find no problems with it. I have 3 "gimmick pipes" I call them now. Kirsten, Falcon, and a Jet Air Teaford. I enjoy them all. gotta love a free pipe though. There is great joy in giving and snagstangl hit the target for me on this one. As stated above Ive been looking for one on eBay to try them out. Thx Snag Man! (I bet he fishes too, LOL)

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Was that the one made from what appeared to be a nylon kit originally designed to hold diabetic supplies? If so, it suited your purpose very well!
No it was something I more repurposed. Check it out, not trying to thread jack, just doing some falcon related show and tell.
Travel case

Status
Not open for further replies.