PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

obidonkenobi

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
I heard that a handful or two of certain pipe tobacco blends were going to be banned from U.S. markets by the Food and Drug Administration in 2018. Has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone know which specific blends were going to be banned?
Please note: Do not panic. At this point, as far as I'm concerned, this is just a rumor and not a fact.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In the meantime, that only leaves a couple thousand blends, which is an order of magnitude greater than what was available to a smoker until 20 years ago.
Me? I like pipe smoking because of its soothing nature. How it promotes relaxation and camaraderie. The polar opposite of stressing about the FDA.
I get it. Smoking of every kind is in decline in the Western World. So is common sense, class, and taste in music. But there ain't shit to be done about it. Tribal group-think Nannyism will one day take over the entire planet. Exceptionalism is slowly becoming Evil, and mediocrity and Equal Outcome is slowly becoming Good. Welcome to the 21st Century, where everyone is (or easily can be) in instant communication with everyone else in realtime. OF COURSE lowest common denominator idiocy is ascending in such an environment. It could never be otherwise.
But let's not beat it to death (yet again) here, please.
Thank you.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I think Mr. Mencken hit our dilemma right on the head with this thought:
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
No worries. When the S hits the fan, I'm headed to wyfbane's house.
Anytime, brother. At the rate I smoke, I have about 125 years worth saved up with more on the 'to buy' list.
Smoking of every kind is in decline in the Western World. So is common sense, class, and taste in music.
True. True.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So is common sense, class, and taste in music. But there ain't shit to be done about it. Tribal group-think Nannyism will one day take over the entire planet. Exceptionalism is slowly becoming Evil, and mediocrity and Equal Outcome is slowly becoming Good.
Too true. Fight back by smoking something thoroughly excellent like Royal Yacht. I guess Huxley, Plato, de Tocqueville and Nietzsche were right after all, but I see no evidence of them having enjoyed the 'Yacht, so I'm inclined to distrust them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not a rumor. The FDA deeming rules were made public last April or May. Here's the bottom line. Blends not available continuously on the US market since before Feb 15, 2007 will have to go through one of two murderously expensive "deeming" processes to remain on the market after August 8th of 2018. This means that all blends introduced, or reintroduced into the US market after Feb. 15 2007 will be taken off the market on August 8th 2018 unless they pass the FDA's deeming process.
We have over 6000 blends currently available. With the potential losses we might have 2000 blends available, as George stated above. It might be less than that. There's nothing to stop importers from dropping the US market if conforming to US regulations is too big a pain in the ass. Regardless, it will still be a lot more choices than I had when I started smoking a pipe in 1970.
Keep in mind that the blends "grandfathered" in are not safe. The FDA retains the right to review those blends at a later date.
These regs apply to all tobacco products, not specifically pipe tobacco. In fact we're basically collateral damage from a move by Big Tobacco to wipe out their vaping competition.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
These regs apply to all tobacco products, not specifically pipe tobacco. In fact we're basically collateral damage from a move by Big Tobacco to wipe out their vaping competition.
This is basically it.
I ended a 33 year cigarette habit with vaping 2.5 years ago. Many others are, also.
Big Tobacco made huge settlements with US states years ago and, like all greedy idiots, most of our politicians chose to spend their chickens before they hatched.
Now, with Big Tobacco's income and states' related taxes both in serious decline, this is how they protect their bottom line from more erosion. Big Pharma plays into this also, as they sell Chantix to ciggy addicts to quit and inhalers to those who don't.
jay-roger.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I just hold out hope that the "draconian cuts" to the government that all the fearmongers are babbling about hit the FDA especially hard. If you ask me, most of those jackasses can go back to fucking pharmaceutical companies out of a paycheck and leave the taxpayers alone.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I got caught short a few weeks ago so, I had to get the above in while the thread was/is still open.
No matter what, I'll still have my cigarettes and those few blends which I found over the years to be satisfactory. The "ever testing, ever tasting" will find a limitation I suppose. There should still be more blends available to seek out than I think even that sector of pipe smokers can go through. Well, excepting "jiminks" of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.