PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Bought a car for my son from a neighbor, 2000 Isuzu Rodeo with 3.2L V-6. 140,000 miles with all the service records, new water pump, rebuilt tranny, new timing belt, tires, brakes and rotors, thermostat, battery etc. I thought what could go wrong? Everything, I guess.
In the first 30 miles after I bought it it started misfiring. I finally determined it was a cracked head judging from the antifreeze in one of the plug wells which was shorting out the spark plug. I tried a stop-leak which didn't work so I ordered a new head and we've spent the past few evenings pulling the driver's side head. First problem we ran into was stripping the head of one of the head bolts which took me an hour and a half this evening to drill out. We finally got the head off and discovered one of the head bolts on the back of head which we had loosened but not taken out had actually broken off about half way up the threads and about half an inch of bolt is stuck in the block. No way to get to it, it's about 3 inches down inside the block. From some research I've done on the web apparently the only way to get it out is to pull the engine and either drill it out or take it to a machine shop.
What a PITA, I'm really irritated. The only plus is if I do end up pulling the engine it will be easier to put the new head on but what I thought would be a two or three day job is turning into a nightmare. The other thing that really irritates me is when I initially found the issue and drained the coolant and flushed it to put the stop leak in I found stop leak in the coolant which tells me they knew there was a problem because that stop leak didn't get there on its own. I'd like to wring my neighbor's neck.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Good points newbie, all of them. I think I will call the mechanic who last serviced it. Your observations about a cooling problem are spot on. The radiator was replaced 2,000 miles ago along with the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc and now this cracked head shows up. I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are 100% correct that it had overheated badly. My guess is the mechanic replaced those parts, treated it with stop leak and then advised them to get rid of it ASAP. I wish I had thought about that when I looked at the service records before buying it but I just didn't put two and two together.
I know my way around cars pretty well which is why I can pull a cylinder head and replace it but I got complacent this time because they are neighbors we trusted and I'll admit that it appears I got snookered.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's worth a try to have a civil conversation with the neighbor.

I don't know how much money you've got invested, but it's nothing compared to your own peace of mind, health, and well being. Put it into perspective. Live and learn.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Sounds like there was a coolant problem since they replaced the water pump. Since it came with all the service records maybe you might want to call the last ones who serviced the vehicle and ask them exactly what else is wrong with the vehicle and then really determine if you want to really continue fixing the vehicle or cut your losses and sell it for scrap/parts before ... well its not really legal for what you should do to your neighbors but uou could always try small claims court if previous mechanics tell you there was known serious mechanical problems with it.
So the assumption here is, you'll believe guy who "fixed" the car, but not your neighbor?
It is probably more likely that your neighbor may not know a cracked head from ice cream cone.

Going on the theory that most people are good people; I would like to think that your neighbor (like most people) took the car to a repair facility who made what they felt were the "necessary" repairs. They got rid of the car because they were tired of dumping cash into it.
I too would talk to the neighbor.

Communication in situations like this is always better than assumption.

It'd be interesting to find the truth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy that's frustrating. I just traded my 2006 Subaru instead of investing in head gaskets, timing belt, and brake job. Because

looking down the road, I could see a new fuel pump, water pump, and alternator. Ten years ago, I would have done that and

hoped to ride the Subaru for another 90K, but right now, my wife is in a wheelchair (we hope she's mobile again) and I want to

do whatever I can to avoid roadside breakdown. Hard to haul her and the chair through the weeds and the snow on the shoulder,

and then up into a tow truck. We're so reliant on cars, but that's our way of life.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well that's a crappy deal. I would talk to the neighbor and question him about it and see if you can get about $1000 back so you can repair his car that he didn't want to. He's obviously not a very good neighbor or he wouldn't have sold it to you. He knew something was seriously wrong and knowing that you bought it for son is really daring and stupid on his part. Sounds like he doesn't value you or your son and couldn't care less who he scams and/or hurts. I'd be really pissed and would definitely not invite him to my next BBQ and he definitely wouldn't be getting a Christmas card.
Good luck! Hope things work out for you.
My first car had the transmission go out about 2 weeks after I bought it. I had all the service records and the sellers were an older couple and the car was really in good shape. The miles were pretty low too, but it was just one of those dumb luck things. Had to put another $2000 in it for a new transmission so my $3500 car became a $5500 car. It was a great car though as I had it for 11 years before I finally sold it off. I miss that car sometimes.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Sorry, Randy. That's been my problem with older used cars. I am not a "car guy". My kids were, but they are gone now. Remind me to tell you about the boat I traded for the 250 Yamaha sometime. :cry:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
That sucks. My parents bought me a red 90s Mustang as my first car and it turned out to be a similar situation. It was an expensive car and it looked fine before we bought it, well, except for one cracked rocker panel; but after it was mine that car revealed itself to be a flaming deathtrap. Everything that could go wrong certainly did. The brakes went, it would take itself out of gear on the expressway, it was always leaking...
It was like the moment the deal was done it showed it's true colors. We bought it from some neighbors right down the road and it definitely changed our feelings toward them after some civil conversations. My parents put it up for sale and ended up taking a low-ball offer for her after a couple weeks. That really put us in a bad spot for car money, but we didn't seem to have any other choice. It was sad. I had really wanted to pick up some chicks in it but never even got the chance. That's probably okay though given that it was one of the filthiest cars I've ever seen in my life (the previous owners were just gross apparently). Nothing could ever get the interior clean... 8O

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Well...the car is at a customer of mine's shop who happens to also be a good friend. Their business is re-powering municipal buses and heavy equipment with new diesel engines so they know they way around engines.
We drilled on the bolt for three hours today using left-hand bits which most of the time will pull out a seized bolt while drilling. Not this time. We used various easy-outs destroying two but not getting them broke off in the bolt. Third time was not a charm...last drill bit used was 5/16" and the easy-out was big enough we figured the socket we had on it would break before the easy-out did. Not so, the easy-out shattered flush with the top of the hole in the block. What a PITA. We ordered a special super-hardened drill bit that they claim will drill through easy-outs and regular drill bits, the 1/4" drill bit cost me $55. If we can get the easy-out removed I guess we will drill out the bolt stub completely out and heli-coil or re-tap the block. My friend Paul who is helping me (owns the re-power business) said he's seen some badly seized bolts before but nothing like this.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Trailboss,
I wish I had researched this car more before buying it. I looked online a bit before writing the check (my experience with Japanese cars has always been positive having owned several Nissans so I had a favorable opinion of their cars) but it wasn't until I had problems and began researching the Isuzu and Honda forums that I found many people's experience with Isuzus parallels that of your cousin. Apparently these vehicles are a real POS. If I do succeed in getting it fixed we're going to sell it and buy something else.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
From a Mechanic's prospective, If your pulling the block to drill or have machined, I would suggest getting a long block. Return the new head you bought and get a long block. This way your bottom end is new/refurbished and your head to block mating surface will be straight and true. Plus it's assembled so you just drop it in and put on the stuff you have removed to do the head. I think if you want to keep it it's the best choice for long term. Isuzu isn't a bad brand. I work for a medium duty Isuzu Truck dealer. The worst thing that ever happens to vehicles is lack of maintenance. Hope things get better for you. I have been burnt by stop leak in several vehicles I have bought over the years. Sorry man. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.