Extreme Cheapskates.....Pipe Smokers Edition?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
So over some time off during the holiday, I got roped into a few episodes of Extreme Cheapskates. For those that don't know, it's a show that documents people who don't flush their toilet, and do their laundry while they shower, and a number of other extremes to save a buck....many of whom have become millionaires from such extreme measures.
I tought it would be fun for people to post the most extreme/weird thing you have heard other pipe smokers doing to their pipes/tobaccos in the name of saving money.....I heard of people that if the bottom of the bowl had wet tobacco left over, they would dump it out, let it dry, and save it for a later smoke.
This is all in fun, and not meant to look down on anyone trying to save money on their hobby.....who knows, maybe we'll hear of something new to try.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I heard of people that if the bottom of the bowl had wet tobacco left over, they would dump it out, let it dry, and save it for a later smoke.

That's called Dottle.

I've been saving dottle for years. However; you have to have some discretion when you do so.

Haddo's Delight is my favorite to save... for that early morning bowl or a very late one.

It really makes a good smoke.... but, it will give you a real case of the spins if you aren't careful.

:puffy:

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Ha, well it didn't take long for me to learn something. Thanks Lawrence, I only heard dottle used as a term of something people wanted to eliminate by smoking all the way to the bottom leaving nothing but ash....never occurred to me that this person was just talking about saving their dottle for later....phrased that way it sounds much less weird to me, haha.
I would be open to it, but the only unburnt tobacco usually have, if any, would be very wet. Plus, if I did that with success, I'd have to try showering with my clothes on and who knows where it would end :)
Kashmir, you're wasting money by using a bag and doing your laundry separate....must be made of money :-P

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
On pipe cleaners when they get black on the end I use a side cutter and nip off the blackened part. Then I can use them repeatedly. In Nicaragua there is Zero pipe cleaners for sale, anywhere. I don't see it as being a cheapskate. I see it as being practical.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Dottle - I live off of it.

And I also use my fingertip as a tamper.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
The fact that everything under the sun has become " monetized " and worse yet that its " controlling " peoples' behavior is a dangerous sign of the times.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
i smoke a pipe instead of cigarettes that in of itself saves me $350/month, but i also ride a harley and have 2 kids so there goes that $350/month LOL

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, but, hasn't money ALWAYS controlled people's behavior? It certainly controls my behavior. Every morning as I haul my ass to work and pay my taxes. Seems to me that the whole THING is monetized. Even the water we drink ... Doesn't mean I like it. But that doesn't stop me from seeing it for what it is.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have a few saved great "cheapskate" emails from eBay buyers and potential buyers that I have accumulated over the years -
"Pipestud, I like that three pipe set of Peterson's you have at auction. But, since they are lower end Peterson's I will only place a bid if you assure me that you will remove your shipping fees when sending your invoice."
"Pipestud, I really like that Stanwell HCP pipe on your auction site but am currently out of work. I start a new job in 3-weeks. If I win the auction please feel free to hold onto the pipe until I get my first paycheck and can send you the money."
"Dear Mr. Pipestud; I am the current winning bidder on the Rad Davis billiard in your auction that ends tomorrow. Rather than me paying for the pipe if I win, I propose an even trade. I have a pipe that my great grandfather purchased many years ago from a famous Doctor who made pipes and his name is stamped crisply on the bottom of the shank. Perhaps you've heard of him. His name is Dr. Grabow."
There are more, but I am getting a headache just remembering these.
Best,

Pipestud

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I use a cascaded proxy server with logonID aliasing to access PipesMagazine.com without paying the subscription fee.

That way I get logged-on to the uncrippled software -- the site with the naughty pipe babes, and Lawrence wearing a thong. :lol:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
After smoking premium cigars for years, the price of my pipe hobby pales in comparison. Even picking up a new briar every now and then along with my TAD purchases is a fraction of what I used to spend on a few boxes of premium cigars. I had several cigar buddies over the years who spent multiple times over what I did chasing down those "had to have" cigars. It's sad now looking back at how all that money could have been invested in quality pipes that I would still own and enjoy vs. being burned away in cigar form.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
A thousand apologies, but I will swear on a stack of other peoples' mothers' graves that I thought the title of this thread was "Extreme Cheesecakes". Needless to say, I was bitterly disappointed when I clicked on the link. :oops:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I bet you my right kidney that the Dr. Grabow one was a joke from a fellow piper. I nearly died laughing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm self-aware enough to know that an obsession with thrift is one of my joys in my pipe interest, but

looking at the pipe racks and my several dozen pipes, it doesn't exactly look like an exercise in

austerity. So much is perspective. Many treasure their one corn cob pipe and enjoy it just as well.

But there I go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.