PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
I apologize if this has been covered, but after a Google search I couldn't find much info on cleaning/maintainance of the outside of the stem...what's your method ?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I use Denicare Mouthpiece/Stem Polish on vulcanite, and Dawn dishsoap and water on acrylic, ABS, et.

I use a jeweler's polishing cloth. It has a mild abrasive, polishing compound embedded into the fabric on the white sheet and a protective microcrystaline wax on the darker sheet. A few wipes with the white fabric, turn it over and a few swipes with the darker fabric, and all done. My vulcanite stems all keep a brand new look to them.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Like the cloth idea. Used to have some of those, oughtta look around for them!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Micromesh or Mr. Clean magic eraser and toothpaste, Oxiclean bath and hand polish with mineral oil or bee wax if you prefer

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
+1 for what Cosmic said. He turned me on to the whole polishing cloth thing. It works like a charm.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some may recommend using a product called obsidian oil which is just mineral oil sold under a different name and a much higher price tag.
After buffing a stem with white diamond I personally use Johnson's baby oil from the supermarket. Some scoff at that as it is lightly scented but believe me, if applied thinly with ones finger then wiped off with a tissue there is no scent at all.
It goes without saying of course that all oxidation should be removed first.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cosmic, our chemist shops don't sell mineral oil as is. Besides why buy more when I have enough to last me many lifetimes?
Really, the scent is no issue at all so effectively I already have a bottle of mineral oil.
Regards,
Jay.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I start with a magic eraser, then work my way to toothpaste and an old cotton t-shirt. It can have these results. That's the basic at home technique if you don't have wax/want to use weird stuff. It takes a bit of work, but it gets the job done as you can see here, as well as in several of my posts of my at home restos. Learned to work with what I have. Going to require some pressure and friction when they are this bad :)
Hope this helps.
IMG_0339_zpsm9ptyzcr.jpg

IMG_0416_zpshm4wkvee.jpg

P.S. Pay no mind to the pretty flowers, I was at my grandmothers :D

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A little regular Chapstick works well to stop oxidation .Also a light amount of heat will bring the sulfur up to the surface in vulcanite .

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Great job on the stem. Nice pipe too.
It is a Hialeah marked Algerian Briar, and France on the stem. GREAT smoking pipe. I can't remember for sure but I think it was under $20 at an antique store, unsmoked. It's definitely got style.

Status
Not open for further replies.