PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Does anyone else get antsy knowing a fresh shipment of delicious leaves got to the house while they were at work?
There are certain advantages to late shifts. I have the daytime to get what I need to get accomplished, I get a modest differential for the shift, I work ten hour days so I only have to go to work four times a week.
But getting things delivered is a pain in the arse. The UPS store and post office actually down the street from me so depending on the day, or route,or other random things, I'm either first on the route or last, every time. This means I either get woken up in the middle of my night with deliveries, that need signed for or they show right after I leave for work. So I looked at the tracking list today before leaving for work at four in the afternoon. UPS shows my latest P&C baccy order as out for delivery, I slept till noon so I'm obviously not at the beginning of the route for them today. OOh and one of my ebay pipes should be coming in the mail today. Nope end of the mail trucks route too. Fortunately my girlfriends at the house today. Nobody made it before I left. I'm getting on the interstate and get a text, then five minutes later I get another. I pull into work check my phone and sure enough ten minutes after I left for work my girl signed for a big ass box from UPS and then before she even got her coffee refilled the mailman was there with another. Now I'm sitting at work, bored, and thinking how nice a bowl of Sutliff NO 5 would be for the trip home, if I'd have just had some to toss in my pouch before I left for work today...but now that lb of baccy is in a box on the living room floor. I mean the rest I was okay with being a bit late, they are mainly going into the cellar as I allready have open cans in the rotation, but I ran out of sutliff...

Which reminds me, thanks guys I would never have tried something in a container that looked like that unless I got it for free. But since it was the free sample from atladis that you guys clued me into...well it's a new favorite.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Well at least you know it will be waiting for you. I hate checking the tracking number on a Friday, seeing it will be at he post office saturday, but not being able to get it on saturday. Then I have to wait all of saturday till monday to get it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Uber, at least USPS delivers on Saturdays (likely one of the biggest reasons they're on the brink of bankrupcy however) we don't get delivery on the weekends in Canada. However I get all my shipments sent to my office so that I never miss a delivery by being at work. Now it helps I run a company that's in the mailing business so I get shipments all day every day and being the boss has its perks too.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I believe the USPS just announced they will be ending their Saturday deliveries in order to try and save two billion dollars a year. But yes I do hate waiting for packages and especially hate when I get one of those "pick it up" notices since I wasn't able to be home at the time.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
First smart business decision they've made in a decade then. I work in the mailing industry and my dealings with them have been pretty awful for 15 years, just so backwards. I also hate the pick it up notices, then someone recommended getting it sent to my office since the delivery times are normal business hours. Works great so if I run into a situation like Josh's I don't have to worry because I'll have the stash to take home with me. Now if only I could remember to keep a cob at the office, then I wouldn't have to smoke out of the palm of my hand in the car when new stuff comes in!! :crazy:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I believe the USPS just announced they will be ending their Saturday deliveries in order to try and save two billion dollars a year.
As reported in our local paper, though, this only applies to "mail," not packages. As of August, when the change is to take effect, we should still be receiving packages on Saturdays. . . unless they change their minds about that.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For those of you here who are iOS users -- it might also be available for Android, but I don't know -- I highly recommend an app called Slice. It tracks all of your online orders, based on your order-receipt e-mails, and tells you when a package is due to arrive, when it's "out for delivery," and when it's sitting on your porch (or in your mailbox, assuming it's trackable). I've been using it for almost a year, and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.