PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I may have posted before that I had never put beeswax on any of my pipes, but after reading several

articles here, I decided to try the 'Fred Bass' method on at least one. This is a 'Sevket' I've been

smoking for only a couple of years and decided it was the test subject.
IMG_1572.jpg

After heating the beeswax and painting it on while smoking, I really wasn't all that pleased with the

results, so I tried a more aggressive method. I removed the shank and tenon, and put it in a 200 degree

oven for a shot time (in a pie plate on a flat roll of cork). I have no idea what the ignition

temperature of cork is, but watched it close and it didn't fire-up. I had placed a wooden skewer in

the shank to hold it by... worked great! The beeswax milted in mostly, and a hair dryer spread out

and blew in the rest....

I was very happy with what I got. It's just the beeswax right now, I'll keep you posted as it's smoked.
TopD
IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You just pushed my finger into pulling the trigger on a Meerschaum that I have been eyeballing. That looks excellent. I wonder, does the beeswax coating also help protect from natural oils from your skin discolouring the meerschaum?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I think.... and it's only my own belief, that I wont touch this pipe for 15 - 20 smokes. I

don't believe the beeswax protects, but is actually the culprit in taking on fingerprints and

dirt and oil! I hold it by the stem between my fingers... like smoking a cigar.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The technique of using melted wax directly applied to the pipe, followed by use of either a hair dryer or heat gun is generally attributed to Beth Sermet, of SMS Meerschaums. When using a heat source, it's a good idea to remove all of the plastic from the pipe and rest the pipe for at least a week to allow it to dry before applying the wax. Moisture in the Block can put the pipe at risk for cracking. This method is time consuming and there's cleanup involved, as the wax goes everywhere when the heat gun is used.
These days, I apply white Beeswax directly to the pipe while smoking it and buff off the excess with a clean white cotton washcloth that I get at the local Dollar General. They are inexpensive and wash up in the laundry for re-use. This was thpreferreded method used by Laurence B. Koback, aka Sailorman Jack. It's more convenient and requires no cleanup. In both techniques, it should be remembered that this is a slow process, when the goal is to promote color development, and a good idea to help protect the surface of the Block. If you get heavy handed with the Beeswax on intricately carved pipes, you'll be digging out what doesn't absorb later, so it's a good idea to use the Beeswax in moderation. Waxing and smoking Meerschaums results in resident patina, but it is a slow process. Techniques that rely on stains, solutions and smoke jars do not produce the same results. My approach to this is old school. If the pipe will absorb the Beeswax, then it will also absorb whatever is on your hands. Sure, there are examples of great Meerschaum pipe coloration where the smoker treated it like a Briar, but there are more examples that didn't fare as well with the same treatment.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
After reading what Fred posted a couple of months ago, I dumped the oven idea, and got rid of the hair dryer also in favor of a heat gun from the auto parts store. I did one more wax treatment after letting the pipe air dry for two weeks without smoking. I just never did have luck adding wax while smoking, it never gets the pipe warm enough (smoking technique I suppose). Removed the stem and plastic mortise, slowly and evenly heat the stone with the heat gun (so as not to crack it) and paint on the melted beeswax. The heat gun will blow off the excess wax, so as Fred says, it's a mess and best done over a large pizza pie pan with newspaper spread on top. I haven't smoked it as often as planed, it being summer and doing a lot outside. But have smoked it 3 to 4 times a week.

I still feel a bit guilty about accelerating the coloring, but after much consideration and reflection I'm pleased with what's happening. I have other pipes I've been smoking for over 35 years that haven't colored as well, and I've decided I want more going on during my life time.

July 11, 2012... Coming along slowly, but coming along non-the-less.
IMG_1796-1.jpg

IMG_1795-1.jpg

IMG_1794-1.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have to say that is really cool having you on the site "storient" and your helpfulness only perpetuates the grace and dignity of our hobby.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I love my pipes... I have nothing closer to me but June, and she knows it. I've never had a closer attachment to any material thing but these....

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
TopD,great lookin pipe.And again as for Storient,you are a great friend to us on this forum :worship:

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
TopD-That is a beautiful meer. I wouldn't feel guilty about accelerating the color I think it looks superb. That's about what I expect mine to look like but it's only two weeks old but looks something quite like yours. The carving is excellent. I've managed to get the inside of the bowl brown/black from the baccy but the outside is just barely beginning to color in places.
Storient-You need to have a serious talk with those young folks about carving and how important it is to keep up the work started by their forefathers.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
What a difference from the first pics, which looked wonderful too. Great looking pipe!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I love that pipe, TopD. I love the detail and the patina is coming along nicely! Looks great; I am definitely going to have to get something like this in the near future...

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
Hey man, this pipe looks beautiful!

Bravo!

As I have inquired about Meerschaum pipes in another topic,

I would like to ask your opinion about Missouri Meerschaum Pipes.

I am thinking of ordering the 'bag of smokable seconds', fair price, smokability guaranteed, and the imperfect looking is ok with me- I am a beginner in pipe smoking.

But I also wanted to ask you whether it is true that corn cobs do not need breaking-in,

and that they might enhance the pleasure of certain 'hints' in flavored tobaccos, better than briars (eg you can sense the slight liquor/vanilla/whatever flavoring better than with a briar).

Furthermore, do they require the same precise 'care' that briars do (eg carefulness as to not 'burn' it, how they are affected by the wind, same recommended 2-day rest etc.

I own two briars, and I think the taste has been altered in my first (I am careful not to destroy my more expensive one now).

In plain words, I am a new pipe smoker, with only a year of occasional experience, and I am looking for a pipe less sensitive to common beginner-mistakes.

Thank you for your time, and future feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.