PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Hello,
[edit] I may have posted this to the wrong forum listing. It probably should have been posted to the general pipe forum listing [/edit]
I've been viewing this forum for the past month and I have really enjoyed reading and learning from the great forum posts here at Pipes Magazine.
I am a new to pipes and pipe tobacco but I am not new to tobacco. I have chewed tobacco for about 15 years. I suppose I would describe myself as a tobacco user in that over the years I have enjoyed the 'Nicotine Delivery System' that chewing tobacco provides as well as cigarettes when out on the town. I am certainly not a connoisseur of any kind. I suppose I would classify myself basically as a 'Gas Station' tobacco purchaser in the past and will continue until I kick my chew habit entirely :)
I have recently begun smoking pipes in hopes that I can supplement or hopefully entirely replace my chewing tobacco habit as it is a bit more socially exceptable by the people I keep company with. My opinion is that switching to a pipe is a win-win situation as I understand that chewing tobacco really is bit embarrassing for me now that I am older and hopefully wiser lol.
After only a month of actually smoking a pipe these are my experiences, followed by a few questions.
Spending weeks viewing many youtube videos, reading forums, reading the pipers handbook PDF etc. I believe it is natural for pipe smoking for beginners to be a practice patience and often times seems to ride a very fine line between being a struggle and being satisfied with each smoke. How long did it take you to become satisfied with every smoke? is it still a struggle for you at times today?
I have purchased 1 estate Savenilli 606 KS Delux bent billiard. A leather long champ estate, a yobo (I believe that is what it is called), 3 corn cobs and a 16 dollar pipe from the local pipe shop.
The Savenilli is an estate pipe I purchased from ebay. The pipe is a decent one. However I was surprised the darn thing still gurgles. I suppose I was romanticizing the idea of owning a Savinelli and I should come to terms with the idea that the pipe is not the only part of the smoking machine, the user needs to understand how to smoke it correctly and not to quickly. No matter the pipe, if you smoke it like a choo-choo traing quickly, evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have. How would you agree or disagree with me on that statement?
My remaining lower-end non-cob pipes are just that; low end pipes and I am not expecting much from them so i do pay more attention to them while smoking.
over the past few weeks I have spent hundreds of dollars just on 1oz. of nearly every tobacco that has interested me and I have ALOT more variety of tobaccos to find and explore. This and the purchasing of pipes is part of the hobby, and makes me happy. Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
I find myself constantly getting to the bottom of my bowl and wondering how wet it is. This gets costly becuase I pat the tobacco out to inspect both the moisture and tobacco content. I am always surprised how much tobacco is actually left at the bottom and I feel like I am wasting my favorite tobacco. Do any of you do this also?
I feel a little strange smoking a pipe around anyone. There are so few people that actually smoke a pipe and I fear that if I would smoke my pipe in public, I would be making a scene. (including smoking in my car lol) I only feel comfortable smoking by myself or around my girlfriend. She loves the smell by the way Do, or have any of you experience this uneasy feeling also?
Of the few inexpesive pipes that I have smoken over the past month, the corn cobs seem to smoke the best, even better than the Savinelli; always dry, always cool all the way to the bottom. This is surprising to me, as well as a bit of a shame considering I would much rather smoke a nice looking pipe when with company. Why do you like your briar pipes over cobs?
Meerschaum. Today I purchased a new meerschaum from ebay. From what I understand they are the pinnical of smoking pipe material. I even recall a few people calling it 'white gold' or 'God pipe'. Wow I sure hope it lives up to the hype! The first time I had heard of Meerschaum I immediatly logged into ebay to find me one and I was surprised how cheap they can be purchased. Surely they can't be all to great if the prices are so low right? What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?
I can say that pipe smoking is truly an manly art form. Both in mind and body. Pipe smoking is a very pleasant experience.
I only have one "NEW" pipe. It is the $16.00 pipe from the local shop. However, I purchased a new Peterson churchwarden with a nickle band from Ireland. Pretty stoked about that.
Any secrete advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco? :)
One last question. What is your favorite aromatic? Mine is a blend from a local shope. They call it mystery fruit.
Thanks everyone for your posts that I have been reading these past weeks.
-Hakchuma

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Welcome to the forum Hakchuma! Even experienced pipe smokers deal with a gurgle now and then. Place enough tobacco for a bowl full on a paper towel and let it sit out for 30 minutes or so. Then smoke slowly. Make sure you are cleaning and resting your pipes well. Relax and let it happen. You'll get the hang of it! No "secret" advise I'm afraid.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Hello,
I also chewed tobacco for a number of years. Smoked cigarettes for about 20 years also. Now, smoked a pipe for 6 years. Prefer the pipe over all of them. I still chew tobacco when I can't smoke....but much less, since I can usually smoke. I like Copenhagen Snuff, and Black. Nothing wrong with a chew here and there, in my book.
I'm still not satisfied with every single smoke. Some tobacco's are too mild, and don't satisfy. When I smoke one of my regular blends, I'm satisfied each and every time.
It seemed to come easy for me. I never really watched any videos or joined any forums until the last 6 months or so when I joined this forum. I guess it just came naturally and I figured it all out by trial and error and watching other people smoke in real life.
In my opinion, if your pipe gurgles, there's something wrong with the design. No good pipe should gurgle. Ever, even with the wettest blends. None of mine do, and I never dry my baccy.
Get yourself a good pipe with a nice wide-open draw. It will solve a large portion of your troubles.
Cobs will always smoke well. I like my briars because they are tougher, and I feel they won't break on me while I'm out and about. I like the taste better, and like the way they look better.
I just don't like the way Meerschaum smokes, because I've probably never smoked a good one. Mine is always wet after a smoke, so I don't like it. I also don't like that I can't drop it without breaking it.
I am not embarrassed to smoke my pipe anytime and anywhere, and I do. I don't understand why it would be embarrassing, but then again, I've never been one to give a crap what anyone thinks of me. I smoke as much as I possibly can every day. My only regret is that I can't smoke more!

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Welcome to the forum, hakchuma. I believe one of the most enjoyable aspects of our hobby is trying new tobaccos. Many times in this forum I've stated that beyond a doubt such-and-such is my favorite aromatic, or Latakia, or whatever, only to find that I've completely changed my mind a week later - I've been a pipe smoker for 50-plus years, and this process is still ongoing.
So I think that your approach of buying small amounts of lots of different blends is a good one. After a while, you'll settle on maybe half a dozen blends that you'll go to every week, and these will become your favorites - at least for a while. :puffy:

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I will answer some of your questions.
“Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?”
I rotate among my favorite 25-30 blends of all types. Although many pipe smokers with smoke only Virginia blends, English blends, or burley blends. And a few pipe smokers do stick with their favorite blend. It is simply your choice.
Why do you like your briar pipes over cobs?
I don’t. It’s just that my briars far outnumber the few cobs I have. However, burley blends really ‘sing’ in cobs. I think cobs and burley go hand in hand.
“What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?”
There are generally two types: pressed and block. The former is far less expensive than the latter. They can be exquisitely carved and will eventually color nicely. I have a few but rarely smoke them.
“What is your favorite aromatic?”
Most new pipe smokers start with aromatic blends. Seasoned pipe smokers slowly but surely seem to move away from them. The closest I come to smoking an aromatic these days is Mac Baren Scottish Mixture.
“Any secret advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco?”
A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A PIPE IS TO BE SAVORED.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As a fairly recent pipe covert (longtime cigar smoker), I can sympathize with your joy and befuddlement. I'll attempt to answer the questions that I know something about:
How long did it take you to become satisfied with every smoke? is it still a struggle for you at times today?

I'm not always satisfied with every smoke, but after about a month, I stopped thinking about it and now just relax.
evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have

Nope. See the bottom of the page
Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
Like you, I went out and bought a bit of many different tobaccos. Blends, plugs and straight varieties like burley, several different Virginias and Latakia. I've narrowed the scope of my favorite tobacco neighborhood (English/Balkan), but I really enjoy trying things that are new and different. It's a lot like food: Some folks are happy with steak and potatoes every night, others find variety to be the spice of life. I fit into the latter catagory.
I am always surprised how much tobacco is actually left at the bottom and I feel like I am wasting my favorite tobacco.
OK, why do you stop smoking? If the flavor changes for the worse, then what is the point of continuing? If you are stopping because you think you've reached the end, think again. Just keep smoking until you can't light it anymore. If you are smoking until you can't light it anymore, then you need to work on your lighting technique. Try gently tapping out the ash buildup, then relight.
I fear that if I would smoke my pipe in public, I would be making a scene.
You have already chosen to smoke a pipe, something that not many folks do. So all of those non-pipe smokers have already demonstrated that they possess poor decision-making skills. I wouldn't think twice about their opinion. Nor would I condemn myself for doing something that I enjoy. Think more of yourself, and less of what others may or may not think of you. Always smile and say hello to passerby as you smoke your pipe, though. Tip your hat to the ladies. Pet the dogs. We have an image to keep up.

I purchased a new Peterson churchwarden with a nickle band from Ireland. Pretty stoked about that.

Yeah, and why not!
What is your favorite aromatic?

Don't have one. But 4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher is up there, as is My Own Blend Livgarde Vintage.
Oh, and gurgling causes:

Tobacco too wet

Smoking too fast

Pipe doesn't draw well enough (you can have it opened up)

You are spitting back into the pipe (very easy to do without knowing it)
Try sliding a pipe cleaner in through the stem when it starts to gurgle. I have to do that sometimes.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Here's a list of all the questions Hakchuma asked if you didn't want to go back and find every question again.
1) How long did it take you to become satisfied with every smoke? is it still a struggle for you at times today?
2) No matter the pipe, if you smoke it like a choo-choo traing quickly, evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have. How would you agree or disagree with me on that statement?
3) Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
4) I am always surprised how much tobacco is actually left at the bottom and I feel like I am wasting my favorite tobacco. Do any of you do this also?
5) I only feel comfortable smoking by myself or around my girlfriend. She loves the smell by the way Do, or have any of you experience this uneasy feeling also?
6) Why do you like your briar pipes over cobs?
7) What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?
8 ) Any secrete advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco?
9) One last question. What is your favorite aromatic? Mine is a blend from a local shope. They call it mystery fruit.
******************************************************************************************************************
How long did it take you to become satisfied with every smoke? is it still a struggle for you at times today?
I was hooked onto pipe smoking with my first poorly packed bowl of "Blue Note" from my B&M in my first H.I.S. pipe. I didn't get close to smoking to the bottom, and you bet your ass i scorched the shit out of my tongue and mouth, but I loved every second of it. There was plenty of room for improvement as far as technique, smoking time, smoking cool, packing methods, etc. etc. But I never was dissatisfied with my smokes. Even if you have a bunch of un-burnt tobacco it's a learning experience to come here and ask the questions about the problems you're having and then you get answers from guys that have been puffin' on the same pipe for 30 years and know exactly what you're doing wrong, and what you need to do to fix it. It did take a few months of trail and error and reading these forums to feel confident enough to talk about pipe smoking and all of its intricacies.
No matter the pipe, if you smoke it like a choo-choo traing quickly, evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have. How would you agree or disagree with me on that statement?
The amount of water in the bottom of your bowl can be reduced by changing pipes, changing the tobacco, drying the tobacco, smoking much slower, trying different packing methods, or by running a pipe cleaner through the pipe every so often to mop up excess moisture. Different pipes will have slightly different smoking dynamics. You can have one pipe that gurgles no matter what you do and others that will never gurgle no matter how wet or goopy your tobacco is. It's not something that I would attribute to a higher end pipe, but generally the nicer pipes have less chance of having these classic moisture problems because the holes are drilled perfectly and the briar is of such great quality that it can handle moisture better than your basket pipe can dream of. Also, no matter how hard you push a MM corn cob pipe you'll never get it to gurgle. It might burn out if you go all choo choo train on it, but it'll never gurgle.
Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
All kinds. Try EVERYTHING, but everyone has their favorites. :)
I am always surprised how much tobacco is actually left at the bottom and I feel like I am wasting my favorite tobacco. Do any of you do this also?
With time and proper techniques you will eventually end up with less and less wasted tobacco at the bottom. I have on occasion smoked every last bit of the blend in my bowl to ash. It also helps to use the highest quality tobacco you can afford. The first bowl I smoked to the bottom was G.L. Pease - Key Largo. It was a transcendent smoke. But usually I will smoke to the bottom and have a few unburnt and soaked shreds of tobacco left, this is called "dottle"
I only feel comfortable smoking by myself or around my girlfriend. She loves the smell by the way Do, or have any of you experience this uneasy feeling also?
In the beginning I was very uneasy about smoking my pipe in public, but you grow out of that too. Now I see myself as more of a badass with a pipe. It's the same as lighting up some stogies now.
I enjoy the briar pipes more because they will have larger bowls and come in so many different artistic expressions. I still smoke my cobs all the time, it's just that I smoke my briars much more often.
What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?
Meerschaum is a complex world within the piping community. There are many great articles about meerschaum pipes on this forum that i encourage you to find. I am not equipped to speak about them as I do not yet even own one.
Any secrete advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco?
Secret advice... Nope.
One last question. What is your favorite aromatic? Mine is a blend from a local shope. They call it mystery fruit.
My favorite aro would have to be W.O.Larsons Signature blend. It's just amazing. I am still a noob when it comes to the world of aros as well, but of all that I've tried I think this one is just fantastic. It's oranges, and strawberries, and subtle sweet wisps are just killer.
Welcome to the forums.
Happy Smoking :puffy:

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
No matter the pipe, if you smoke it like a choo-choo traing quickly, evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have. How would you agree or disagree with me on that statement?
I'd say this is often true, but not always. I don't know why, but I used to have problems with gurgling when I first started, but hardly ever experience it now, even when I puff like a train. There are some pipes that are just going to gurgle, not too much you can do.
over the past few weeks I have spent hundreds of dollars just on 1oz. of nearly every tobacco that has interested me. Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
Good idea on sampling! It's something I wish I would have done when I first started. I've personally found my field of tobaccos I prefer (straight Virginias and Virginia/Perique), and have five or six I always have on hand, but I enjoy sampling and throw in a couple of untried tins with every tobacco purchase. I'll usually keep a Frog Morton blend or two on hand when I get the urge for Latakia.
I feel a little strange smoking a pipe around anyone. There are so few people that actually smoke a pipe and I fear that if I would smoke my pipe in public, I would be making a scene. (including smoking in my car lol) I only feel comfortable smoking by myself or around my girlfriend. She loves the smell by the way Do, or have any of you experience this uneasy feeling also?
I experience this, but it might be because I'm a 25 year old, and I feel a bit silly. I tend to only smoke at home, or out in the woods. Sounds like you're a bit older, though, so I wouldn't feel silly. It's something I'm working on overcoming, but I don't want to come across as pretentious. I'd say if you're 30+, this isn't something you should even consider, as even I'm trying to shake the feeling.
They're prettier. That's pretty much it. I generally smoke my Missouri Meerschaum cobs 10x more than most of my briars. I don't have to worry about damaging them, and if you replace the cheap, soft plastic stem with a Forever Stem, they're hard to beat. I do enjoy my briars, but they're usually reserved for evening smokes, when I just want to sit and relax and pretend to be classy.
What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?
Personally, I've never smoked one. To be completely honest, every time I hear about them on forums, people say that they enjoy their meerschaum, but they just don't smoke it all that often.
Any secrete advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco?
Some people will disagree, and they may very well be right, but to get rid of a gurgle mid-smoke, without jamming a pipe cleaner down there, VERY gently breathe into the stem a couple of times. Lots of people say not to do this, as that only increases moisture, but when I do get a gurgle, I just blow a few times and it clears up without a problem.
One last question. What is your favorite aromatic?
I like Trout Stream. I buy it through P&C. I remember enjoying Connoisseurs Choice when I first started smoking, but I haven't had a tin of that in nearly six years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For an aromatic, I am enjoying Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge." It's a Virginia, burley, Cavendish blend with

a flavoring of rum. It has a tobacco forward flavor to me, with just a nice note of rum.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
1) How long did it take you to become satisfied with every smoke? is it still a struggle for you at times today?
It took me awhile. Probably six months to a year before I got to the point where every smoke was as it was meant to be.
2) No matter the pipe, if you smoke it like a choo-choo traing quickly, evaporation is going to cause access water no matter what pipe you have. How would you agree or disagree with me on that statement?
Disagree. As a former cigarette guy, I'm a fast smoker. I make no apologies. Just am. I can slow it down in the right setting, but generally I smoke fast. And I rarely if ever get gurgle or excessive moisture.
3) Have you found your 'best' mix and stick with that or do you often smoke all kinds of tobacco?
I smoke a variety of tobacco and am always trying new things. But like most I have a standard rotation of favorites that I smoke throughout the week. In my case, these are mostly VaPers. But I also smoke Virginias, VaBurs, and aromatics. Recently I've been enjoying English Aromatics (aromatics with Latakia).
4) I am always surprised how much tobacco is actually left at the bottom and I feel like I am wasting my favorite tobacco. Do any of you do this also?
If you're getting a lot of damp tobacco at the end of a bowl, you may want to dry your tobacco longer prior to smoking. It may also relate to smoking technique as it sounds like you're smoking wet anyway. Don't worry - this is very common in the beginning.
5) I only feel comfortable smoking by myself or around my girlfriend. She loves the smell by the way Do, or have any of you experience this uneasy feeling also?
Don't be afraid to be different. And besides, everybody likes pipesmokers. I've found the majority of people have fond memories associated with an old pipe smoking relative. Light up a good quality aromatic in a bar and you will be very popular.
6) Why do you like your briar pipes over cobs?
My better briars smoke better than my cobs. But my cobs smoke better than my average briars. For me, it's also very dependent on the tobacco. I like burley blends in cobs. I like VaPer and English on briar. I like straight Virginia best in pear wood. Strangely, I prefer Hal o' the Wynd in a cob. Etc.
7) What are your thoughts on Meerschaum?
Never smoked one. Can't help you there.
8 ) Any secrete advice you have been holding back here on the forum that you would like to share with me regarding pipes/tobacco?
Not really a secret, but I would strongly recommend buying quality, clean estate pipes from a reputable vendor. You'll get twice or thrice the pipe for your money and it'll already be broken in.
9) One last question. What is your favorite aromatic? Mine is a blend from a local shope. They call it mystery fruit.
Hard to choose one. But here are a few:

Savinelli Cavendish

Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5 (aromatic English)

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake

C&D Autumn Evening

Status
Not open for further replies.