Experienced Smokers Please Help. I Don't Want to Give Up!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
hello, my name is Jason. I live in mobile, AL and have only recently begun smoking a pipe. I am a big fan of cigars but that has started to hit me pretty hard in the wallet. :crying:
someone please help because I am on the verge of giving up on the pipe because I cant find any tobacco with any REAL taste on the tongue. I have smoked over 40 different tobaccos including aromatics, non aromatics, Cavendish, Virginias, latakias, burleys, periques, all cuts, all styles, I want to say I have tried tobacco all across the spectrum OTC's, tins, bulk, cheap, expensive (FYI the only real smoke shop in my area is a tinder box) and cannot say I have found a single tobacco that has any actual flavor. I could care less about a room note or aroma...after all i'm not smoking to satisfy the room, i'm smoking for my own satisfaction. I understand that if I ask for a recommendation, I will get a hundred different suggestions as not everyone likes the same thing. I have spent countless hours reading reviews and recommendations online and have tried most of the ones that are suggested a lot. the review will say full bodied or full flavor so I would rush out and buy it only to be disappointed time and time again. im starting to wonder if that's the reason I seldom if hardly ever see a pipe smoker anymore. I guess to sum it all up, my question would be... is pipe smoking just a finesse type of thing? meaning delicate flavor for extremely sensitive palates or is there really a such thing as a pipe tobacco with "Real" taste? I would really like to continue smoking a pipe but in order for me to do that I need some help... experienced smokers please reply

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Chop up a cigar and add it to your mix. I do it with twists all the time. I'm not knockin you but I think your just still tryin to smoke a cigar, just using a pipe.
What kind of pipe are you smoking this in? Different strokes for different folks for style of draw and cadence plays heavily on enjoyment and satisfaction levels.
Without a bit more, all I can really respond with is what works for my choices in tabacco. What flavor are you lookin for? Punch in the mouth bold smoke, or to actually taste the flavor of the casings that the name implies? Typically they are very subtle. Room note is different from flavor.
Think there's a foofoo one here at a shop local to me called strawberry daquiri or some embarassing bs... But its hot, spicy and thick smoke. All the factors that make it generally AVOIDED by most pipers. But I like thick smoke sometimes so I cellar it.

Mixed with a cut up cigar and a bit of lat and voila! Room note of an angry freight train full of burning tires crashing into a strawberry truck... But tastes great in the bowl.
Welcome to the forum. Sure loads of more folks going to offer suggestions. And without fail to diagnose and speculate about your methods and reasoning. Lol hope I could help. But if you like it your way then happy smokin to ya and welcome aboard.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
There are many variables at work here, but perhaps something with a bold tobacco flavour and a nicotine punch may do the trick for you.
May I suggest:
SG 1792
Peterson Irish Flake
GH Black Irish X ( rope or ready sliced )
GH Brown Bogie ( rope or ready cut, which is callled something else that doesn't come to mind right now )
GLP Key Largo ( this has cigar leaf in it so it will give you some of those familiar flavours as well )
A big factor could be also that you are blazing through whatever you're smoking. Pipe tobacco is best enjoyed at a much slower puffing pace than a cigar. The moisture level could also be a factor; it needs to bemuch lower than with a cigar.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Jason, are you using a filter in your pipe, if so, remove it and retry some of the stronger blends? I would recommend Solani Aged Burley Flake or MacBarens Old Dark Fired for a pure tobacco taste. Lastly, if you were used to smoking Robusto cigars, then no pipe tobacco is ever going to live up to your demands, pipe tobacco is just too subtle for that kind of flavor. I wish you luck on your quest for REAL flavor, and I hope one of the tobaccos I suggested works out, but you may be asking too much of the briar!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Jason, welcome to the forums.
I am going to guess, like others hinted at, that your issue isn't finding real tobacco flavor. I think you've equated the taste of a cigar as the only tobacco taste, and are therefore unsatisfied with the pipe.
Like philobeddoe said, if you're looking for a Robusto flavored pipe, you'll just be disappointed. Pipes are a much more subtle flavor. Sure, you could find pipes that pack a lot of flavor punch....you could run out and get a Latakia powerhouse like Pirate Kake...but it won't taste like a cigar.
Now, there are blends with cigar leaf in them, G.L. Pease Key Largo was mentioned, Pease also makes Robusto, which has Maduro wrapper in it. Those may be worth a go.
Depending on what kind of cigars you like- I would perhaps suggest focusing your pipping on blends with cigar leaf, or with Perique (for spice), or latakia (for smoky, earthy flavor).
At the end of the day though- the tobacco flavor of pipes is a subtle, appreciated flavor. I'm just starting to learn it I think. Good luck with your journey!

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
thanks guys. please don't think I was bashing your passion for piping, if that was implied, I certainly am sorry! it was not my intention!!! i am smoking a briar i bought at tinderbox for around 60 bucks. the flavor i enjoyed in a cigar was that of the natural sweetness lighter color (such as a Connecticut wrapper)cigar tobacco provides. Not artificial added flavor such as fruits and creams but there are types of tobaccos and curing methods that enhance the natural swetnes of tobacco. perhaps you could lead me to the types, and or curing methods, and cuts that may provide that type of sweetness. i didn't really enjoy latakia blends as it was a tad smokey and bitter for me. i have an OTC that is said to be only golden cavandish and i do get a hint of natural sweetness but much more in smell than on my tongue. this being an OTC im sure there are more quality blends that would be far better if maybe you can lead me in that direction. I think had I discovered a pipe prior to the cigar I may not have had such high expectations. I will continue searching various blends, cuts, curing methods, and tobacco types. I will certainly give those you guys recommended a go and perhaps the longer I abstain from cigars I will refine my palate to taste the subtle flavors offered by the pipe. don't mean to be a pest but if someone could tell me a little about the comparison between Virginias, Cavendish, burleys...etc

Jan 8, 2013
I've not yet been smoking a pipe for a year, so not sure how much I can help you. But I can say that puffing/sipping technique has a lot to do with how much flavor you get from your smoke. If you're puffing away like a freight train all your going to get is an ashy taste. I take slow puffs and try to let the smoke rest in my mouth a few seconds before I blow it out. That seems to help me. If your puffing hard and fast your just overheating your tobacco and your pipe. If your pipes getting hot in the hand there's a good chance your puffing too much too fast. I also like to smell some of the smoke from the bowl. There are others here who will likely chime in and give you a heck of a lot of information. I suggest you try what they recommend. Some of have been at it for many years, and they know what they're doing.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
P.S. i do realize that much of the flavor in cigars comes from the wrapper itself which is in contact with the tongue...i may have just solved the mystery myself...lol :crazy: still i take your advice seriously, and would appreciate and and all info, tricks...etc
and thanks again for the warm welcome. i look forward to the relationships that that may be formed and perhaps we may light a bowl over a cool brew someday... :puffpipe:

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Jason, I am also new to pipe smoking and I started to help ease my wallet. My pallet has always been toward a mild to medium Connecticut wrap and certain maduros. (Onyx and Excalibur) I second Philobeddoe's recommendation of Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired. The lady at my local B & M gave me a sample of flakes and I found it to be excellent. I am waiting for a tin to come in on order. What strength of cigar and what wrap do you prefer? Many many of these pipe tobaccos have "taste" , but perhaps it is the boldness that is missing for you. One thing I have come to appreciate about smoking a pipe is all the different flavor profiles. Even smoking 60 blends you still have not even scratched the surface. I am easing my way into the English blends now and I find myself wanting more. I am suffering from English TAD at the moment and I will continue my search for the "one" I just can't live without. What English blends have you tried so far? I know Davidoff and Nat Sherman have blends out there that I have not tried yet. Don't give up yet. When you do find one that meets you flavor profile you will be more than satisfied about smoking a pipe. Good luck with your search.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
thanks craig, I usually preferred mild to medium cigar with a lighter shade wrapper such as Connecticut but have enjoyed a good maduro from time to time also. love the drew estate natural and the mild gurkhas. CAO has some really good mild sticks too (original CAOs not the flavored ones). I will try the mac baren's I think they have it at the local tinder box. wish there was a tobacco store that's easier to access cause our tinderbox is in the mall and I hate fighting that crowd to purchase tobacco but its the only shop within 50 miles of here...

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Jason-
Listening to you describe the light sweetness of what you enjoy, I'm thinking the high quality, Virginia Flakes is what you should explore. They have a subtle, sweet, tobacco flavor, free from top dressings. Smoking flakes is a bit of a learning curve- learning to pack and prep them doesn't happen instantly- its not like cutting and lighting a cigar, its a bit of an art. But once you get there, that might be right for you. Virginia flakes still have a range of flavor profile, so it takes some exploring to find what is right for you.
Some recommendations of what I'm talking about:

Capstan Blue

Brigham Klondike

Dunhill Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake & Best Brown Flake

McClelland Blackwoods Flake
Read some of the introductory threads here for new smokers that will cover tobacco types and techniques- and google around/search youtube for how to prep and pack flakes- everything from drying (some blends need it, some don't) to options for prep (rub out, fold & stuff, cube cut).
Also, MacBarren Old Dark Fired is good- isn't really "lightly sweet", but good. It is heavier on burley than Virginia.
AND my last tip- smoke SLOW. Then SLOWDOWN More. If you're pipe goes out- so be it! Just keep relighting. You'll get better. If you smoke fast you'll smoke hot and you'll just have a bitter, flavorless smoke. Think about sipping lightly- that's where the flavor comes out.
Cheers.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hello Jason, and welcome to the forum. You will find many good friends here, this is a group of excellent gentlemen. To respond to your query, I too had the same problem with tobacco smoking and pipes, and chalked it up to thirty years of cigarette smoking. However, after over two months of pipe smoking at last I am starting to be able to taste and smell the various nuances of pipe tobacco. I don't think I was ever looking for the punch that you seek, but I am now able to remotely sense the various flavors I now try. So don't give up; it may be a matter of time that is the problem.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
One other thought here that I haven't seen anyone mention, albiet allude to it, have you rested your mouth at all? I mean did you start smoking the pipe full steam and not try to rest and give your taste buds a chance to refresh and then when you do, light up a bowl and take it slow.
I find that when I start smoking like a locomotive cause I can't get any taste, I have to stop, put the pipe down.... and give it a rest. Then when I pick it up again a day or 3 later, all is right with the world.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
imagenthat, welcome to the site and as a former big cigar smoker, I have the answer to your prayers.
First, how often do you clean your pipe? When was the last time you did a deep cleaning with Everclear or 151 Bacardi? Do you own a shank brush, bristle pipe cleaners and fluffy cleaners? Do you know how to properly clean your pipe? How often are you smoking your pipe, are you letting it rest between smokes? Once we get these questions answered we can be of more help.
Now in terms of what to smoke to get some flavor, speaking for myself when I began smoking a pipe I was still smoking cigars and looked for those types of flavors. The one blend that opened my eyes to how great a pipe could be was Escudo, it has a unique taste that is sweet and spicy and if you cannot taste this, then there are a lot of other issues we need to look into such as technique. If you smoke too hard, it heats up the tobacco too much and you will get no flavor. You cannot smoke a pipe like a cigar, two different styles of smoking.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Jason
All the advice given you is good advise. Just as you savored your cigars you can also savor your pipe with a myriad of tobaccos. However, you need to slow down since pipe smoking is a contemplative endeavor. You did not mention what activity you normally do while smoking your pipe. Try reading while smoking which should slow you down. Also, try blowing a little smoke from your tobacco through you nose once in a while which should enhance the tobacco flavor. Finally, try sipping water throughout your smoke which should go far to wash your pallet. My best advice is to sssllooww down and enjoy the experience rather than being too critical. If you slow down I hope that you learn to enjoy the pipe and join are pipe smokers family.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Lots of good advice in this thread, and not really anything for me to add. However, I will say this; as someone that started off as a cigar smoker and then transitioned into pipes I know where you're coming from. I still enjoy my cigars, but smoke my pipes more frequently now. I tend to like a nice medium or medium to full bodied cigar. With those cigars I can detect all sorts of flavors (i.e. pepper, spice, wood, cedar, nut, leather, toasted, grassy etc.), however, with pipes its really hard for me to detect the flavor of the tobacco like I can with my cigars. I'm just over 2 years into the pipe hobby and I'm still developing my palate. As stated already the pipe tobacco is more subtle and does require you to puff slower. It took some time, probably a good year of off and on smoking of the pipe before I was really able to enjoy a variety of tobaccos. You just have to be patient and let your palate adjust from the cigars to the pipes.
If you're looking for that naturally sweet tobacco taste then I might suggest Mac Baren's H&H Mature Virginia. I believe its made from 20+ different Virginia blends. Its a nice naturally sweet tobacco. Good luck and remember to go slow and be patient as your palate adjusts from cigars to the pipes.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
AND my last tip- smoke SLOW. Then SLOWDOWN More. If you're pipe goes out- so be it! Just keep relighting. You'll get better. If you smoke fast you'll smoke hot and you'll just have a bitter, flavorless smoke. Think about sipping lightly- that's where the flavor comes out.
I'd like to apologize for my flagrant use of improper grammar. I of course know it should be, "If your pipe goes out-". Ug. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.