PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
At the recommendation of another forum member I checked out JR and decided to order some SG tins. That was on Tuesday. Today (Thursday) at 2:00PM the mailman delivered the package. Less than 48 hour turnaround from North Carolina to me in Bethlehem,Pa. All this, with shipping, for just under $50.00.

At least I'm impressed. Smoking the Chocolate flake as I type this in my Nording Signature. Very nice stuff.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
JR doesn't have lots of pipe tobacco (they are a cigar store, after all), but the prices on what they have are excellent.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm always happy to give a witness for JR Cigars. I've traded with them for years and the editorials the owner occasionally writes in his catalogs are a gas.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They have a store in NJ about an hour from me. I go there on occassion because it is a very cool place. The cigar humidor is a room about 50 ft by 40 ft and 20 ft high. They have a full bar and deli and sell select liquors and brandies. The stores in N.Carolina I've been to look more like Dollar Stores but have a better pipe tobacco section than the NJ store. What they do, they do very well. And bases on my recent experience their service is top notch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started buying cigars from Jr back in the early 80's. They have always had the best prices on cigars and their pipe tobacco prices are usually tough to beat as well. As mentioned above their selection isn't great but if they have what you like you are golden. I used to always look forward to Lew's catalogs because he is such a funny bastard. Sorry to hear he isn't writing much these days, he is a real down to earth guy for someone who is a billionaire. I may just have to put an order together, I am in need of Dill's pipe cleaners and his price for the 20 count box is very cheap.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Been buying cigars from them for years. Great to do business with. Their house brands are good for everydays & reasonable.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Oh yes JR is the place , when i go down 95 south to nc i always stop in there store.

you will never go wrong with JR. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Rothnh: I've noticed the absence as well. Funny, you read his musings and get the impression Lew doesn't have two nickels to rub together. How many times has he mentioned his love of bologna sandwiches and inexpensive ropes when he's noodling around in the yard?

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Been buying cigars from them for years. Great to do business with. Their house brands are good for everydays & reasonable.
+1 The JR Alternatives are great cigars for the price. Their prices on pipe tobacco are quite good.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Here you go.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=pipe_tobacco/pipe_tobacco.html
I got some McB tins to stock up and a tin of Grousemoor, ordered Monday, shipped next day for $5, going to pick them up today.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I forgot to mention the store about 30 minutes from me. I drop in there periodically. I will be going there in about two weeks to grab some cigars for my daughter's wedding.
As a matter of fact, it was that store that helped get me back on the pipe. I was in getting cigars, browsed the pipe tobacco, and was intrigued by a tin of C&D Strathspey. I bought it. It was totally unlike anything I'd had in a pipe tobacco before. That was close to 10 years ago. Now, 99% of my smoking is my pipe.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
JR was one of the first places I started ordering online from back when I started smoking. They actually had a forum for a few years in the late 90's that had sub forums for cigar smokers and pipe smokers. I participated on there and met some great guys but unfortunately the forum became drama and they pulled the plug on it.
As for shopping there, JR is great at what they do. They are a large volume discounter that specializes in selling affordable cigars and tobaccos catering to the regular guy. Fortunately, they've maintained great pricing on stuff like C&D, McClelland, SG, and Rattray's along with several other good blends. Not the place you want to go buy your 1Q unless you love it enough to invest in a 5 lb bag. Service has always been outstanding and I've never a problem with a single one of their products. They don't have the fancy boutique brands that some of the other well known stores do, but what they do have it always priced fairly and they run some great deals from time to time.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've not purchased from them online, but I'm in NC quite often for work and stop in to the Burlington store every time I'm close. Which lately has kept me from running out of cigars.
As for tobacco, they don't keep a big selection, but I've noticed that their prices are competetive.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
The Selma store has a fair selection of tobacco and pipes, stop in on Saturdays and I might be sittin there smokin. I try to go by there every other Saturday. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.