PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It is very interesting that the more you smoke a pipe tobacco more you will get the real taste of it. It is said that in order to understand if you like a food or not you have to eat it 10-15 times. Only after that you will have a definite idea. When it comes to smoke, it is similar I guess. Funny thing is smoke affects taste buds, so in some way it reduces the taste detection, however same blend starts feeling different after few smokes.
After quitting cigarettes for a month everything was tasting totally different for me, the water I drink everyday was sweeter than ever. I am really curious if pipe tobacco does the same thing to your taste buds. If yes how come we taste tobacco more and more after each smoke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah, that's one of the real mysteries. I have to think the brain is as much involved here as the taste buds themselves -- something to do with how those basic taste sensations are processed differently over time after repeated experience.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
In a loose sense, as in physics, the observer effect applies to pipe smoking. The term refers to changes that the act of observation will make on a phenomenon being observed. The act of smoking affects the taste buds, thus affecting the taste of the smoke - and food. The effect is stronger than cigarettes but not as strong as cigars.
Regarding repetition and time to appreciate a blend, to quote a song sung by Bobby Vinton, to know, know, know you is to love, love, love you. It takes time and repetition to know anything with depth. As a matter of fact, one of the tests of love is time with the object, whether it is a person, a dish, a wine, or a piece of art. That is why time is required before declaring a piece of art or music a "classic." It has to stand the test of time.
It also takes time to gain the knowledge provided by comparison and experience. What you like this year you may be one of your least favorite blends a few years from now.
What I may like most about the hobby of pipe smoking is that there is no ultimate destination. It is the journey itself that provides the joy.
Code:
[/endsoapbox]

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Surprised I haven't got any trash talk about quoting Bobby V. He is as corny a balladeer as they come but I will admit during my military days, after we had MANY drinks, that my buddies and I would sing along to Lonely Soldier. None of us would admit it, but it struck home.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It is very interesting that the more you smoke a pipe tobacco more you will get the real taste of it.
The one exception for me to this rule is latakia. The more I smoke it the less I can taste it and it then requires a break from latakia to get the full taste back.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have to think the brain is as much involved here as the taste buds
I agree. Smoking a pipe taught me how to taste smoke, and it helped with other things like cooking too. I gained a new appreciation for some favorite spices and some I hadn't used before.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think the converse is true. The newer I am to a blend the more I focus my attention on trying to understanding the flavor and aromas. As I become used to it and know what to expect my focus can wander and I tend not to pick up on new flavors as easily.
I think our ability to distinguish and enunciate flavors becomes refined by our experience and education with a blend but the nascent ability to perceive ultimately diminishes with pipe smoking and age.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
On a simialr note, what gets me is how people only smoke a pipe or cigar on 'special occassions'. Um.. why? I really think to best appreciate the flavour of either you need to partake in them often.
Abstaining from them will make them taste alien, overly spicy and not even nearly as good as they can taste. Just like how you pick up on those subtle notes of a good baccy when the tin is nearly finished, not every flavour of an enjoyable component can be experienced with only one try now and again, it needs perseverance! Almost like 'studying'.
I found with Condor that the famous soapy, flowery taste went away after half a pouch, it went from very obvious with each puff to a different beast with creamy, sweet and kind of sickly smoke.
On a different side of the fence, I also find that my taste buds become dull to one particular baccy over constant smoking. In a way some tobacco benefits regular/daily use for a few dyas to get the most out of it, but some others quite the opposite! A fresh slap across the face of a baccy that you don't smoke often is nice, but finding the ones that benefit from regular or iregular use is part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.