PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I still like aromatics, but I am moving on.
I am really liking Black Woods Flake, Erinmore Flake, MacBaren London Burley, and Solani Aged Burley Flake 656. I am trying to like Capstan Blue, but it is a bit slow going. I find it tends to make me feel a little queasy.
Just thought that I'd report (read: take up some bandwidth).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice array. I have unopened tins of blends I haven't smoked, but I want to take it gradually. I think you have

to get to know blends, or it's like one of those too-large hotel buffets where you eat a lot but can't remember

what you had. I also sidetrack the professional blends by mixing tobaccos, not too many in one bowl. I have

it down so I usually come up with pleasing results.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Per the Sutliff website, Burley London Blend is discontinued, so get it while you can!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My taste for tobacco constantly changes. The first 3 years or so of my pipe smoking life, I smoked nothing but aromatics. Then I discovered burley, and went on a long kick with that. Later I discovered Latakia, which is what I primarily smoke now. I've always struggled with Virginias, but I'm slowly finding a few that I do enjoy. Nowadays I smoke about 70% Lat blends, 10% Va forward blends, 10% aros, and 10% burley blends. I still don't care for Perique very much, though I can handle it in very small amounts. I really enjoy crossover blends, such as the Frogs and H&H Mazatec. I also like Lat bombs such as McC Blue Mountain and Boswell Northwoods. Codgers are another favorite, with Sugar Barrel being at the top. I don't get much into heavy aros anymore, but I do enjoy blends like 1Q. It's nice to be able to enjoy a variety, it keeps a guy from getting burnt out! I guess that's why I have about 60 blends available for my smoking pleasure!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Although I'll take the occasional VA straight up, or with perique and/or Orientals, my mainstay for many years now are Latakia forward blends. When sipped slowly I detect a panoply of flavors and scents, that I just don't taste in other blends. It's not so much campfire, as many state in regards to Latakia, but something much more subtle, and much more malleable in different pipes. My mainstays have become Star of the East, Pirate Kake, Abingdon, Odyssey, London Mixture and Nightcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.