PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've always smoked and enjoyed aromatics. After 40+ years, I've decided that I need to expand my horizons, must be the forums influence.
I want to try a Virginia blend, but don't want it to hit me between the eyes and double me over with a punch. In other words, I'm a woosie and not afraid to admit it.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is about as mellow as I've had. For a nice light intro to Vapers (even though OGS says it has Perique you really can't taste any) try PS Luxury Navy Flake. Both are very low impact Virginia tobaccos that won't overwhelm you and can be smoked all day. And both are easy on the pocketbook to boot.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
It's funny you say this because when I started last year I had NO IDEA what I liked. I found this forum and just read a bit before getting involved. I tended to follow those that had a very "fatherly" way of explaining the different blends, tastes, and other nuances. With that being said my first order was EMP, FMC, PS Proper English, and GLP Charring Cross and Chelsea Morning. Talk about all over the map!!!!! I was a 2-3 per week cigar smoker that preferred full flavored maduros, so I wasn't afraid of anything.
I am a HUGE fan of VaPers and a full yet creamy smoke is delivered by Escudo. This tobacco got me interested in flakes which now seem to be the bane of my existence. Brigham Klondike Gold is a soft, sweet smoke that is all Va. I think those two are a great place to start. To throw in a third I would recommend Vauen 14. I find this one light, sweet, and not at all pretentious.
Good luck on your new journey. Let us know what you go with.
Dan

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
+1 Orlik Golden Sliced. I am new to smoking in general and really enjoy OGS.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
The above suggestions are all very good. You can't go wrong with any of them. I would add the two Capstans - blue and yellow. Both are quite nice. If you don't want to get into flakes yet try them in the ready rubbed form.
@Yaz Vauen 14 is new to me. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next order.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 on the Capstans.

For me, they are MUCH better when dried out, almost , but not quite crispy.
Also try Butera's Royal Vintage series Golden Cake. Really smoooooth, but Oh so Gooooood!!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got far less experience than 40+ years (at least when it comes to pipe smoking...), but I can definitely second the Luxury Bullseye Flake recommendation - it was my second Va/Per blend, and I love it. Some folks prefer Luxury Navy Flake, as it's strictly Virginias and Perique, without the Cavendish and Burley added to LBF, but that may be what makes LBF such a good gateway. Heck - try 'em both and see which you prefer. Then try Escudo - I'm definitely in agreement with Yaz on that one.
I've also tried McClelland #5100, which is a straight Red Virginia. It's also a pretty good introductory straight Va blend - unless you're one of the unfortunate few with the body chemistry that's sensitive to Red Virginias.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
+1 on Haddo's. It's a vapor but the Perique is not going to "punch" you. Buy some and cellar it for a year and it really becomes sensational. I like Virginias but that fresh tin note of hay is something I can't quite embrace. Some age on those tobaccos mellows it out and the sweetness comes through in spades.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Apparently this is just me, but I'm surprised that a request for "Virginia" recommendations yields suggestions for everything from VA/periques to traditional English blends! :)
Keeping this purely in "Virginia" territory, I'd suggest Rattray's Old Gowrie or Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. Both are excellent straight VAs that will deliver the positives that come with the leaf and few-to-none of the drawbacks. I'd also encourage you to seriously consider Butera's Dark Stoved (in addition to the Golden Cake, which I haven't tried) and McClelland's Dark Star. I'm smoking a 10-year-old tin of Dark Star now, and it's wonderfully sweet, rich, and smooth.
Bob

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Plateaugay,
I used to smoke aromatics for 15 years. Then I discovered flake tobacco. Virginas and perique. However, start with mixtures.
My suggestions are to try Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and/or Robert McConnell Red Virginia. Both are very pleasant and gentle smokes. For the morning and the first cup of coffee you need Dunhill Early Morning pipe.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I think one of the most mild, and best crossover tobaccos you might try, would be Herath & Home Anniversary Kake. Not a huge nic hit, and a pretty aromatic VaPer.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Some great suggestions in the posts above. My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it ;) :
Orlik Golden Sliced and Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake are both excellent suggestions. Both smoke very well right out of the tin (or pouch).
Haddo's Delight is one of my all-time favorites, but might not be the best choice of crossover blend if you are sensitive to nicotine.
Anniversary Kake is also one of my favorites, but I find it smokes poorly when fresh. This is one to jar and cellar for at least a year. Alternatively, I would recommend Rattray's Marlin Flake, which also showcases the plummy side of Perique and is smokable right out of the tIn.
Full Virginia Flake is a poorly behaved, damp, pain-in-the-ass flake that I would not recommend to flake beginners. Delicious, certainly. But high-maintenance.
Among my favorite crossover blends are:

- Erinmore Flake

- Peterson University Flake

- Marlin Flake

- Orlik Golden Sliced

- GL Pease Barbary Coast

- Pipeworks & Wilke No.5
If you're after a Virginia flake with no regard for aromatic crossover-ness, I would suggest Dunhill Flake and Capstan Blue.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I have a tin of Orlik coming thanks to Troutface. Thanks, brother!
I've started a list, but I'm going to wait on the order until I try the Orlik - especially since I just won an Orlik Canadian on the bay. Keep the suggestions coming, especially if there are "cross overs" that would help ease into the Virginias.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
All good suggestions. You can't go wrong with OGS, Capstan Blue or Gold as they are quite mild and a good intro into Va's and VaPer's. With that said, I'll also through in Brigham Klondike Gold. I've become somewhat hooked on flake and coin type of tobacco's and that is all about that I've been purchasing lately.
Other than that, I'm somewhat amazed that you could stay with only aromatics for that length of time and you have some great enjoyable smoking experiences to look forward to!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I'll second Old Gowrie. I came here to recommend Scottish Cake, but Old Gowrie would suit just as well.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
On the subject of straight VAs, I'll throw in a recommendation for F&T Cut Virginia Plug and McClelland Brindle Flake. Both reasonably mild, sweet, quality Virginias. Can't go wrong with 'em.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is a winner, yes. I also was pleased with Cup O Joes #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.