PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I recently purchased about a dozen different GH blends, all Lakeland or Dark blends. I'm thoroughly enjoying all of them, so far, and I'm pretty hellbent on getting 500g of my favorites to cellar eventually. My question is, should I be prioritizing any due to potential shortages or discontinuations? Ive become painfully aware of how quickly certain blends can vanish, and I'm interested in knowing if that's a concern for any GH blends. I remember seeing somewhere that Dark Flake disappeared for a while before maybe? It's been a while. Thank you!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
No, not really. The only blend that is routinely in short supply is dark plug, which I wouldn’t recommend hoarding. I believe the supply on this reflects the higher demand for all the other dark flakes that use the same base.
Anyway, no. Most of the blends are not modern and should be around in good supply.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
GH is good but not superior tobacco, but @ ~$55.00/500g, it is superior nonetheless. Never had a problem with availability.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Thank you saltedplug and big pond. I agree it's a good value. Personally, none of the GH blends are in my highest tier, but nonetheless I always enjoy smoking them and I'm always satisfied. Most of their bpwnds I've smoked have been between above average in flavor, tobacco quality, nicotine (right below flavor), and price.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
If you like GH (which I do) you should look also at the SG offerings. GH and SG now combined their operation in a single factory after being split from the XIX century (they started in the XVIII century as a single company). Sometimes they get short in supply and some offerings (particularly some plugs and ropes) are not available in the USA and you have to buy from Europe. I find both excellent and among the best if not the best tobacco. The plugs and ropes definitely are great for cellaring.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Bob's Chocolate Flake is one I cellar deeply. The bulk is available more often than the tins. It seems to be out of stock more frequently in the past year, but it will be available if you put your name on a reminder list online.
Also, I agree with 64alex above, the ropes from GH are wonderful (and strong). They age well and are very easy to cellar.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The supply will likely not run dry but there are stretches of time where some blends are unavailable. When you see what you like is back in stock I recommend buy a bit more than you normally would. Gh&co is one of my favourites. As mentioned you will now need to dig into Sam Gawith tobaccos as well. Have fun.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I'm going back and forth a lot on whether or not GH and SG are the best tobaccos on the market right now. I know it's very subjective, but recently I can't stop smoking their blends, and every time I put my pipe down I'm very satisfied with the flavor and nicotine, and rarely do I get any bite. I do enjoy Chocolate Flake quite a bit also, along with 1792, Navy Flake, and Commonwealth. I have many more to try yet between GH and SG. Bosun Plug, Coniston Cut, Rum Flake, brown flake scented and unscented, along with Kendal Flake, golden glow, and Sam's flake from SG. Right now 1792, no 7 Broken flake or maybe Ennerdale, and dark Birdseye are my favorites.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
G&H and Gawith re-merged a couple of years ago - long story - and I personally consider both brands to be exceptional. G&H has several that I thoroughly enjoy but are hard as the dickens to find. Their Dark Honeydew was about as good as any tobacco that I have ever smoked but have not seen it for years. I have a little left but not enough to last me very long. I keep hearing that since the rem-merger, we may see Gawith Bracken Flake again - what a tobacco! - But so far, no luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member kindly sent me a tin of Brown Sugar Flake about two years ago, and I recently opened it, unable to resist despite its fine aging qualities. Lovely blend.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
That sounds delicious. Maybe one day I'll get it. For now it's a little pricey to purchase internationally.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Pipestud Said:

I keep hearing that since the rem-merger, we may see Gawith Bracken Flake again - what a tobacco! - But so far, no luck.
Why did you have to go and tease me like that?!? Bracken Flake is my #1 favorite blend.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In about 2005 I smoked Bracken Flake everyday. But for whatever reason the supply went dry of the blend I loved, though throwback versions were forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.