PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Is Exotique a true English or more if a Balkan-English cross? I have 2 tins incoming and the reviews, while all positive, give mixed signals on what it tastes like, ranging from a true English to a sweet Balkan. Anyone try the latest tins?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The distinction is basically non existent. To the extent that I've used it, I think of the difference as a matter of balance, where the oriental varietals take precedence in the blend and the latakia is either supporting or an equal partner. But that distinction is based on one's personal perception of the balance. And as Pease points out, the term "English" blends for latakia mixtures is historically inaccurate.
Exotique is referred to as a Sobrainie 759 clone, but it isn't. Black House is much closer. On it's own merits, Exotique is a very fine, rich, well balanced, and slightly sweet latakia blend.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
From my own thoughts, I've always classed Lat forward blends English, and Oriental forward blends Balkan. Not necessarily how it really is, it just helps me avoid heavy handed lat blends.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Exotique is akin to Balkan Sobranie 759 in taste and strength though not a copy of 759, as Best Blend is to Sobranie White. It's quite tasty in its own right and I find it less complex than Black House and more complex than Balkan Blue if that helps.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What is an English/Balkan/Oriental blend? Doesn't that pretty much cover most anything non-aro? 8O

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Based upon my likings I've been told a few times that I should try Sobranie 759. "If you love Exotique you'll die over 759!" and so I actually bought a tin from PipeStud. If memory serves, it was just north of $300 for the tin. I sat on it for a few months and in the end I just couldn't justify opening it. At best I'm haunted by the memory of a blend I'll not have again. I sent it back to Steve and it went on to wherever.
The most used term used to describe Exotique seems to be "very rich". It's an apt adjective, but when I think of "rich" I think of things that are generally really good, but in small amounts. I'm fairly certain I could smoke Exotique exclusively and not tire of it. I can't say the same about other "rich" consumables. Based soly on its reviews, I ordered 25 tins of it. I had a strong feeling I was gonna love it. A tin of tobacco generally lasts me more than a few days if I'm in the mood. I smoked my way through four tins in a couple days, a ridiculous personal best and a testament to how much I love the stuff. If I could create a blend from scratch, it would come inside that tin and be that tobacco. It has an unusual sweetness/butteriness and at just the right amount such that it doesn't dominate the flavor profile and become too much. I don't know how to describe it. It has an aesthetic, if smoke can have an aesthetic, that fits my tastes perfectly. That is to say it's the perfect tobacco for my sensibilities, not the perfect tobacco. I even love the tin! It's just a superfine, sublime, perfectly rich smoke. I also must say, because it's necessary, that it is NOT Margate.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tend to like blends with a Virginia-Orientals base.
I suppose that is what distinguishes a Balkan from an English: more Orientals, less Latakia, and that great fusion of the Oriental bittersweet and Virginia haysweet flavors.
Might also evoke memories of Presbyterian Mixture and Early Morning Pipe.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I like EMP but have never had Presbyterian. I am thinking of taking advantage of the P&C bulk deal to purchase some Match Presbyterian and Balkan Supreme. They both get good reviews. Especially the BS. Looking forward to the Exotique after all of the reviews and comments. I hope it is a little bit more potent than EMP but it is OK if not. I think my years of chewing cannonball and other strong tobaccos have inured me to the effects of nicotine unless it is a long smoke of medium heavy potency.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It helps to keep around some high-potency VAs and Burleys to toss into a blend if it's tasty but not powerful enough.

Jun 27, 2016
I like the blend, but I'm starting to think that it has some flavor spray added to it, or at least one of the components might. Some sort of peachy-type flavor. It's not chemically, but the blend is fairly wet, and if it's not an unflavored additive that happens to enhance one of the tobaccos, I'm thinking that it has a little something extra in there. I also get this very slightly in OBB. What do you all make of that? :puffpipe:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Funny, how several people can all smoke the same blend and each of them will find subtle or even not so subtle differences in the flavors, I suppose that's why they make so many different blends!

Oct 7, 2016
@aquadoc, you should enjoy Balkan Supreme. Exotique is an excellent mixture, but it is hard for me to see paying the price difference. Same goes for Margate, which I also like. If there is a significant difference between them, it is too subtle for me to discern, and I have smoked them virtually side by side (the Exotique was from stock Smoker's Haven had on hand for who knows how long, the Margate was fresh).
Smokers Haven Cognac/Esoterica Pembroke are not often mentioned in these threads, but I believe they both belong. The cognac is subtle though discernible and to me adds to the flavor from the Orientals.

In fact, most days I would take them over Exotique/Margate.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My local B&M carries Sutliff Medium English Mixture #502. I asked for 1 ounce to try and he gave me 3 ounces (he eyeballed the measure). It is a very smooth Oriental / Balkan that has a bit more richness than I expected. A smooth buttery smoke with more Latakia than EMP but not so much that the Orientals are dominated. In fact, the Latakia is a back note. May have found one for the rotation. He had another one called "lavish" that I cannot track to any blender. No idea but it is dark with a hint of Latakia and maybe perique and Cavendish. Will give it a go later.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Funny, how several people can all smoke the same blend and each of them will find subtle or even not so subtle differences in the flavors,
Pretty simple really, Phil. Our eyes perceive colour by a reference attuned to the yellow colour of the Sun. If you sit for 20 minutes under a light of another shade, say, green, then come out, everything will look wrong for a while.
Likewise, all of our tastes are a little or a lot different based both on what we each eat and our different body chemistry, so our taste-buds and noses all smelling and tasting the same stuff report to each of us a little differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.