PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Hello there my name is craig im mid 20s a Brit and been pipe smoking for around 2 1/2 years.
One of the things that always intrigued me as a youngster was pipe smoking, although i never had any relatives that i actually saw smoking a pipe i am well informed that a number of them did smoke a pipe on occasion and that they only ever smoked one tobacco whether it be condor or st bruno.
When i first started pipe smoking the thought of smoking one tobacco only puzzled, obviously now we have the internet it really does open the flood gates for tobaccos you can try And for the first two years i used this advantage to hoard up a pretty impressive amount.
But the day came, and the penny dropped with a very loud clang, that while a sizeable amount of tobacco to me looked impressive to me, given i only smoke one or two bowls a day the amount of tobacco i had was either going to go dry on me or it simply wouldnt get smoked.
And then another penny dropped.
Why not have a tobacco blend or two around that you know is consistent, enjoyable every time and easy to get hold rather than having so.many different tobaccos lying around.
The answer to that question for me was undoubtably condor.
The quintessential british tobacco, beautiful aromas, strong but good for most times of the day and a short trip into town anf i can have as much as i want.

Then came along borkum riff bourbon.

I got a pouch of this in a trade as i was pretty much egged by the legendarily terrible reputation it had garnered and i wanted to see if it was justified.
In short i found it was exactly the opposite.

To me it was impeccably behaved, cool sweet smoked to the last shred and would be the ideal companion to condor when i wanted something that was still flavourful but need less strength in a smoke.
And that was that it was decided that borkum bourbon and condor where going to be my smokes.

I smoked what was left of my menagerie of tobacco and stuck to my two exclusive smokes.
Its been around about three months since i have done this and i find it has worked a treat.

I know what i am getting for each smoke and my pallet isnt getting blitzed with loads of different flavours and now them two tobaccos are now two very good and cherished friends.
I still buy the odd different tobacco now and then as a treat if i am out and about and it catches my gaze and interest but my two smokes are never off the menu for long.
When i first started i did the typical newbie thing and went for the tobaccos everyone raved about and yes i will admit these are very nice (well most of them !) But do i really want to go through with the hassle of trying to source them?

Yes in the early days it was nice when i did and i got hold of some but now i just found it a hassle.
All the time they were two smokes sat there waiting for me that were perfect for me, sure they might not be as fancy or well regarded as the likes of stone haven and penzance but to me they satisfy and when im sat in my shed relaxing with one of my two go to smokes there is nothing else better to me and i wouldnt trade them for all the stonehaven and penzance in the world.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome to the forum, CStephen!
I think most here would say: Smoke what you enjoy! Nothing says you have to jump on the latest bandwagon or stock your cellar with 100 different blends. Of course, your tastes may change over time, so I wouldn't rule out more variety in the future. But if you've found two blends you love, by all means enjoy them.
I'd just offer this advice: Stock up on as much Condor and Borkhum Riff Bourbon as you possibly can. Because if it turns out that you really will stick with these two for years to come, then you want to be sure you have an available supply. And if, for some reason, either blend would cease production, you'll want to know that you're set for the future.
Bob

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Whatever makes you happy is a good way to go. If an easy to find tobacco makes you smile, then enjoy yourself while others scramble for a chance at Penzance. Welcome to the forum.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Welcome, Craig!
Many have said it, and it's true - smoke what you like, like what you smoke! :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I understand where your coming from on this and I often feel the same way. I will go on to a site and browse through different tobaccos thinking "I should try this one" but I inevitably never order them and continue ordering the same bulk tobacco I always smoked because "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality sets in. I already know I like my daily blend so why muck it up trying something different, right? Like you I still buy the odd tobacco but I usually end up jarring it and adding it to my cellar rather then actually smoking it.

Maybe one day our tastes will change or evolve and different tobacco may start appealing to us but until then I'll just keep puffing away on the "Old Favorite" and reading those great reviews of tobaccos I'll probably never get to. lol

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Man, will you ever make Condorlover's (Simon) heart glad! He only smokes Condor, and ends up adding Condor to others he's tried and didn't especially care for in order to make it palettable (sp?). I envy you to a degree. I have tried many different blends, and haven't really even determined a favorite yet. Maybe that will change over the next year. I have tried Condor (thanks to Simon) and do find it an enjoyable smoke. Welcome to the forums and congrats on having established your favorites

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Thank you for the welcome gentlemen.
I think i am lucky for finding two blends im willing stick by so soon into starting pipe smoking.

I do realise over time my tastes may change but im just going to sit back and enjoy.
But i know it will be an enjoyable journey.
Thanks again and have a good evening gentlemen

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Welcome to the forum!
For me, I find myself gravitating around 3-4 blends that I commonly enjoy and depending upon my mood and where I'm smoking, will often dictate which blend I decide to smoke. During the work week I tend to like Burley blends such as Carter Hall and Heine's Blend that I enjoy smoking while working outside or driving in my truck. During the weekends I find myself enjoying more Virginia/Cavendish blends that I can savor while sitting on my back deck and admiring the view of the river behind my house. That said, it does seem like smokers in the past, at least those that I knew, did like to find one blend they liked and tended to stick with it as their "go to" blend. I had two uncles who were avid Sir Walter Raleigh fans and pretty much stuck to that blend for as long as I can remember. I personally think that a lot of it had to do with the fact that they didn't have anywhere near the variety of specialty blends that we enjoy today and for most of them their only choices in blends were the brand name OTC blends available at the local drug or "mom & pop" grocery store. The internet has made shopping for new tobacco blends much easier for folks living in rural areas that didn't have a local tobacconist in town and had to simply rely on what their local drug and/or grocery stores had in stock.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome Craig. You're a lucky man to find exactly what you're looking for so soon in the game. It is possible that over time you may seek other smoking experiences, but whatever you're looking fo,r with thousands of tobacco blends to pick from, I'm sure you'll find it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Welcome to the forum Craig. Here you will find an amazingly diverse group of people united in their dedication to pipe smoking. Me? I am just the house dealer in Condor who arranges blockade running of the green goddess not only for myself but for the other die hard Condor worshippers on this forum. You can find my home thread under 'Universal Imports' as I have just returned from one Europe trip and I am about to embark on another. If there is anything you need from this side of the pond either post on the U-I thread or PM me. I do not do kids baseball outfits nor sneakers but US tobacco is doable. As an after thought I like my Condor cut with tambo and black twist as thats the way it should taste!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With such a vast array of tobaccos and blends available, there may be something to be said for finding a few

you like and sticking with them. Most of us are beguiled by trying a new blend now and again. I have

eleven as yet untried tins of various blends, most of which I think I will enjoy. The advantage of concentrating

on a few blends is that you study them more closely and may learn more about getting the most out of them,

rather than continually restlessly pursuing a new experience. Family brought me two pouches of Borkum Riff

from The Netherlands, and I enjoyed them. They were steady in the rotation until I used them up. So follow

your own drummer. Smoking fewer blends with great concentration, not a bad plan. You can always sample

small quantities of other blends when the mood hits.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I am in the same boat as you. I love C&D Three Friars and G&H Dark Birds Eye. If my pipe is lit, odds are it's one of those in there. I really want to fall in love with an OTC blend just based on sheer availability here (much like your Condor) but I find when I'm smoking something else, even when trying new blends, I usually find myself wishing I was smoking one of favorites.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Welcome to the forum! Always good to see another Brit.
Yep - as everyone else said - smoke what you like. If you're lucky enough to have found a couple of decent tobaccos that you like enough to stick to, that's great.
My missus' grandfather exclusively smokes St. Bruno, and my grandfather smoked a frightful amount of similar stuff.
I'm still bouncing around all sorts of different types - I think six tins open at the moment and will soon be ordering a few more...

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Wow what a welcome.

It really seems to be a friendly bunch here.
I find it really is a great place to be as to having two blends i can stick by.

As has been said the condor it may be an otc over here but smoking it exclusively really allows me to study it better.
It has a surprising amount of complexity when you smoke it exclusively and it is one of them blends that is great for smoking when you are otherwise engaged in other things but it is also great for when i just want to sit back and relax and concentrate fully on the smoking.

And the ghost it leaves in a pipe is delightful.

Sometimes i run a straight virginia burley shag tobacco through my condor bowl and it really adds a nice dimension to it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.

I couldn't do the one-blend thing. I'd get bored. But if it works for you, great. :puffy:

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Welcome cstephen, I am new here too but not to pipe smoking, smoke what you like and if you found a blend this early great, took me 30 years to find them. Whether it be Penzance, Condor, Borkum Riff or Mixture # 79 even in you're daily rotation, me as a person not good with change, someone gave me Molto Dolce did I smoke it yes like it was ok, buy it no. I find this site and Tobacco Reviews an excellent source of info, in my hometown I don't know of anyone who smokes a pipe for enjoyment just a cheap alternative to cigarettes, they don't know Burley from Cavendish on this site you will find a bastion of knowledge and you can never ask a stupid question, we all started out but did not have resources like this. Happy Puffing!

Status
Not open for further replies.