PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I haven't ordered anything from P&C since just before the software/holiday fiasco. Not because of any bad press here on the forums, but because I simply didn't need anything.
On the 25th, I ordered a couple types of cigars and a Little Devil cutty (just because I didn't have one!). I used their standard cheapo shipping. My package arrived today (the 28th) with everything present and undamaged. My years-long streak of zero problems with P&C continues. The only issue I can claim to have is that two kinds of cigars I was interested in trying were on backorder, but I suspect that may be due to the cigar sale that just ended.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Aldecaker, I was starting to think positive posts about retailers like these weren't allowed... :nana: jk of course
I've never had a problem with them either.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My first order ever was a box of cigarillos in February. It was delivered in a reasonable amount of time and in good condition.
Even though I had no problem, I still got the apologetic email and the $50 credit from them. I was quite moved to see that level of responsibility claimed by the company. Issuing all of those free vouchers had to have put a great dent in their bottom lone.
That voucher is what spurred me into pipe-land. It has payed off for P&C because my multiple orders since then have been a good return on their investment.
With the exception of a malformed button on one pipe (which they discounted after a call), my only issues have been out of stock items. This is a regular occurrence in our world of "just in time" inventories, especially with seasonal production items and high demand items.
I think where they get a lot of flack is poor reporting of order status information. There is no clear status indicator on the web site, by email or on shipping documents, if anything is abnormal.
A simple "We sent (this) today" email would eliminate much confusion.
In general, we, the consumer, have become spoiled by expectations of near-instant gratification. I don't believe that getting anything from any corner of the globe to my door within three days is a sustainable practice.
Remember TV COD commercials as a kid? ( :laughat: Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery...)
They ain't perfect, but I'm thankful to have them, as I work to build my cellar before Big Nanny forbids my access.
Just my unsolicited 2 cents...
jay-roger.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My proxy is settling into his new house in Oregon. I should be able to order from P&C soon. (WA won't allow pipe/cigarette tobacco mailed in)

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Add me to the list; I used my $50 "were sorry" coupon along with the 25% off sale to buy a Comoy Riband for about $50, (originally $153). Arrived at the normal pace, and no issues whatsoever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hooray! Thanks for the good reports. I'm glad to hear PC has things going in a good direction. They have a significant inventory and some good prices, and an array of superior blends. I hope the new software didn't cost them too much.

Oct 7, 2016
Is that statute even remotely Constitutional? And how are they going to reach an out of state seller/shipper? Sounds pure in terrorem to me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks so much Tom for going to the trouble....but....
"(1) A person may not:

(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer..."

*My bold.
...leaves me puzzled as I read that (and please excuse my ignorance) it's ok to buy from a licensed wholesaler or retailer so what is the issue?
If indeed you are not allowed to buy such products from registered retailers then surely your constitutional rights are being abused no?
'Liberty', 'Land of the Free'...what happened to all of that?
If what you say really is the case then we're all buggered, on both sides of the pond too.
I despair unless I have read it all wrong.
Regards,
Jay.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I also got an order in from them, fast service & no problems again.

Jay, this side of the pond is getting more & more like your side of the pond.

Cheers!

May 4, 2015
...leaves me puzzled as I read that (and please excuse my ignorance) it's ok to buy from a licensed wholesaler or retailer so what is the issue
The meaning is that only a wholesaler or retailer may be shipped tobacco. Not the end user. IE, if I owned a tobacco shop or was a wholesale distributor to retailers, obviously I would have to get tobacco shipped to me.
To answer your other questions, yes, our rights are being abused.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
But when you won't give an inch on "reasonable" restrictions (because you understand how the slippery slope works) you're labeled an extremist nut. There's no friggin' winning. I'm screwed anyway; the right thinks I'm a left-wing radical because I believe working stiffs have rights, and the left think I'm a jackbooted fascist because I think criminals should be fried by the dozen. Like I say, there's no winning.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
"Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibited—Penalty.

(1) A person may not:

(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer; or"
Can someone apply this hypothetical for me? You live in Washington State, a resident. You call Paul's pipe shop order a pound of arrowhead, they take your name, address, credit card info process your order on the phone. Then ship the tobacco to you. No law broken.
It doesn't appear to mean a prohibition of shipping tobacco, just ones that are ordered certain ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.