PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Perhaps maturing would be a better word than evolving.
Although I am smoking pipes more, and cigarettes less, I am still smoking cigarettes. It is mostly a convenient, quick smoke, sort of thing as well, I am sure, good old nicotine addiction.
Having to stand outside of a place to smoke has a great deal to with with that. If a place has a nice patio area or something where one can sit comfortably and smoke, I will usually (alas, not always) choose to smoke a pipe. But having to actually stand outside, I will always go for the cigarettes.
But, I am finding more and more than when I am smoking a cigarette I am thinking about a pipe. Last night, while enjoying a few cold ones at the Appleby's next door to my hotel, I had to stand outside to smoke.
I was smoking cigarettes but thinking about how nice a bowl of Bishop's Move would have been. To be honest, I didn't even enjoy the cigarettes all that much.
As the bans here in Wisconsin are so absurd, one can't even smoke in their hotel room and must step outside to do so. In nice weather I would simply take a pipe out and sit on one of the benches and enjoy a smoke.
The weather was not so nice last night. It was cold and windy, raining a little too. I would step out for a quite cigarette and return to my room, wishing I could relax with a pipe.
This morning, as I was standing outside with a cup of coffee and cigarette I kept thinking about how nicely a bowl of Irish Aromatic would go with that coffee.
I am finding that I am liking smoking cigarettes less and less. I still do smoke them, but it just isn't the same any more. The flavor of a cigarette leaves worlds to be desired.
I have decided that as soon as I have a few extra dollars to spend I am going to pick up a couple of pipes with small bowls and use them for those necessary quick smokes. A bit of Five Brothers or Carter Hall in a small bowl might be just the thing for a quick smoke.
Cigarettes are simply not as enjoyable and satisfying to me as they used to be. It really takes a pipe now.
Another option, of course, would be to pick up some of those small cigarette sized cigars (cigarillos). That may be a good way to go if I can find one that I really like. I'll have to try a few of them to see if there is one that "hits the spot" for me.
The only qualm I have about the small bowl pipes for those quick outside smokes is the cold Winter weather. I am concerned that smoking one in very cold weather may lead to cracked bowls. Any thoughts on that?
I can imagine one breaking if smoked indoors where it is warm and then carrying it outside in the cold while the bowl is still warm, but what about the other way around? Would smoking a bowl in the cold cause it to crack while it is cooling off after the smoke? I can see it cooling much faster, perhaps too fast, while out in really cold weather.
Whatever way I wind up going, I think I am maturing enough as a pipe smoker that I am on the verge of ditching the cigarettes altogether. It may not be right away, but soon, I think.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Pipetrucker,
I have two pipes that I use in much the same way that you described, though I don't smoke cigs, I do find myself often wanting a smoke but not having the time to invest in 45 minutes to an hour. Usually at the farm, working or hunting. I use them in the dead of winter and have never had a problem...one is a Kaywoodie colt the other is a Tom Thumb, both have served me well... easy to pocket and providing a good quick smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My only bad experience smoking a pipe in bad weather was with the wind, which caused a burn-through

at the bottom of a Medico filter pipe. It was my first pipe, and I just wasn't thinking.
Instead of a small briar, why not corn cobs? Cheap, more-or-less durable, about the right capacity, yada yada yada...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Another option, of course, would be to pick up some of those small cigarette sized cigars (cigarillos). That may be a good way to go if I can find one that I really like. I'll have to try a few of them to see if there is one that "hits the spot" for me.
The only qualm I have about the small bowl pipes for those quick outside smokes is the cold Winter weather. I am concerned that smoking one in very cold weather may lead to cracked bowls. Any thoughts on that?
Trucker, just skip the "Cigarillos". That is Spanish for little cigars. Cigarettes means little cigars as well. To me they taste worse than cigarettes.

As to cracking, splitting, or burn-through when smoking a pipe outside in in-climate weather, I have never had an issue. In fact some wind (IMO) can help keep your pipe lit. There is another advantage to pipes outside when it's cold.... they can keep your hands warm.

I don't smoke my small bowled pipes outside very often in cold weather, but rather my Ben Wade Calabash. It fits the palms beautifully and feels great when the temps really fall. I have had it since my early days of piping, and it has a huge bowl.

My advise... don't sweat it, smoke that pipe, and revel in the in-climate weather and your own thoughts.

Ben Wade Calabash

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
As a former cigarette smoker, I feel your pain. After you start smoking a pipe, smoking a cigarette just seems so fruitless...no flavor...no depth...you liter and you stink. There are a few solutions which you have struck upon. The cob is one, but should only be used as a last resort. (Yes I know I am boardering on pipe snobbery here but thats ok, friends don't let friends smoke cobs) Some small bowls are probably the best choice. Also, get a few windscreens that clip onto the top of your pipes, they really do help if you have a pipe that fits one nicely. I don't mind reliting pipes multiple times a day which is what I am finding myself doing now that the weather has cooled. I just leav e the bowl outside and relit it when I go out for 5 minutes.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks, gentlemen. I have a couple of cobs but they are of the larger bowl variety. I enjoy smoking a cob once in a while, but honestly they just really aren't my style.
Thanks for mentioning the wind cap. I lost mine recently. I think I left it in a hotel room somewhere. I've been meaning to pick up another one, and perhaps an extra as a spare, but it seems every time I am in a pipe shop I forget about it. I really do need to get another though as they do work quite well.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
An FYI about the wind caps...they don't really fit small chambered pipes very well. Yeah, you can bend the tabs easy enough and sort of get the thing to fit...but sometimes not very well.
I usually just cup my hand loosely over the bowl if it is a bit too breezy...works well and helps keep your hand warm!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Mason you are more that correct about Wisconsin's screwed up smoking ban. Seems that a small island of flaming liberals (Madison ) feels the need to play nanny to those of us who live out here in reality. Very nicely written blog.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
A great entry trucker. I agree that the corn cob would be a very good way to go for the above mentioned reasons. My, my, what have the "great minds" in our legislatures rammed down our throats.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks, gents. As a step towards not smoking cigarettes I decided to not purchase any this evening when I ran out. I have my pipes and tobaccos and, when the urge for a cigarette becomes too strong I just roll up some Carter Hall and smoke that instead of an actual cigarette. Seems to help.
I always have a pack or two of rolling papers on hand, as well as some filters and my Gizeh roll box, which is a handy little contraption. I may just stick to pipe tobacco cigs when I really get to craving a cigarette.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just don't do what a fellow that was staying here did. He ran out of cigarettes and decided tobacco is tobacco and rolled up some of mine. I think I can still hear him coughing several years later. LOL!!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I use a little Bent Bob pipe works well .
Same with me. I love my Bent Bob for when I need a short smoke. It is also very versatile in the sense that if you fill it all the way up it can smoke for a long time. I have gotten 45min - 1 hour from just a bowl in it smoking slow. Furthermore, you can also fill it partially full and have a shorter smoke that doesn't feel like your missing out.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Congrats on giving up cigs, as my main complaint is the 2 Billion pounds of butts thrown down each year, which is no different than throwing down a whole bag of trash. And the cig smokers have the attitude that someone "beneath" them will have to clean it up. My local tobacconists is big on selling smaller pipes and also the pocket/vest models for your exact purpose. Some of them are very narrow and come with a hinged cap.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks, but I am still struggling with it and can't yet make the claim to having given them up entirely. Small steps.
Funny you should mention the litter issue. I saw a very unusual one just the other day. I was at a shipper picking up part of a load and I assume they must have someone there who smokes filtered pipes because outside of the shipping dock I saw at least a couple of dozen used Dr Grabow filters on the ground.
Cig smokers aren't the only litter bugs. Frankly, I would rather see cigarette butts on the ground than the tons of fast food wrappers, bags, cups, and soft drink containers I see littering our highways every single day. Cigarette butts seems pretty minor by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.