Tags:  No tags yet. 

Everyman No Draft Hole

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pipeman7
  • Latest reply from pipeman7
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I got this old NOS Everyman and went to clean it...there is no draft hole! I tried to poke a cleaner thru, wouldn't budge. I can't tell if there is a draft hole and it's just covered up with the coating or what. What should I do

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take a drill bit that will fit in the shank and see if you can break through whatever is blocking the draft hole. Do this by hand first, no drill, and see if that will do it. A small sharp scribe will also work.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Thanks what do you think is up with this?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a previously smoked pipe, yes? If so it could be hardened bits of tobacco that dried in the stummel. Many pipe tools have a pick that could be used.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

No, it's a new old stock pipe

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Rossi came with so much bowl coating that the draft hole was nearly plugged, so that's not unheard of.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Remove the stem and look in the mortise. If you see a draft hole then very likely it was drilled and just covered up with coating. If, for some odd reason, a draft hole was started, but never finished through to the bowl, just match a drill bit to the existing hole size and drill through to the bowl. If the hole is already started that will guide your bit on the proper angle. If you've used a drill before this will be a piece of cake. If you're not comfortable with tools I suppose you can return it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edit: Obviously a hole was started as you tried to run a pipe cleaner down it. Again, it's probably just covered up so use a nail, drill bit or scribe to break through the coating in the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If its NOS they might just put it in the reject box without having finished it. I have several unfinished pipes from an old factory which donĀ“t ha a draft hole. Fixed that with my drill press....

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or there could be a stinger stuck down in there. Can you see a hole in the bottom of the bowl.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

It definitely has no a hole looking in the bowl, but I need to find a flash light to see if I can see one down the shank

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, donjgiles, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe