PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have a friend of mine going to the states next week. I was wondering how much I should give him, and the size(s) it comes in. Cheers.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Oh, and my apologies, i'd like to know where the easiest place is to get it....

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I Know they have it in Indiana, but to be honest with you I dont know if they will allow it back on the plane. May have to ship it back.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Cheers everybody. I let him know the scoop, the easiest thing is probably to ask his relative he's visiting to get a permit now, buy it next week and drive it back home.......if not I can deal with some super strong rum, lol

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Cheers everybody. I let him know the scoop, the easiest thing is probably to ask his relative he's visiting to get a permit now, buy it next week and drive it back home.......if not I can deal with some super strong rum, lol

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Sadly Everclear is a no-go in PA...it sucks having to go to Jersey or Delaware to get it. Depending where he's driving to/from he might be able to get it in a neighboring state.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. It can be purchased in Ohio but under severe restrictions.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
If you're in Alberta, you can buy Everclear by the bottle in most liquor stores. I use it to make limoncello and orancello in addition to pipe maintenance. I'm assuming your friend is driving from either Ontario or Quebec and I don't know about liquor laws there. Saskatchewan doesn't allow it, unfortunately.

Jul 15, 2011
According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Here in Illinois I can go 10 miles up the road and buy it by the fifth or in a pint sized bottle. I buy the smaller pint bottles and can do salt and alcohol treatments on the nastiest of pipes, plus stem and shank scrubbing, on 20 some odd pipes and still have a quarter of a bottle left over, and I can buy it for about $7.50 a bottle.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I live in Pennsylvania and the only way to purchase Everclear is with a doctor's prescription. However, one can buy it in Delaware with no problems in any size. I bought a 1.75 litre bottle there for about $30 a year ago.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Ahem, in Tennessee we don't bother with Everclear. We just go next door to our neighbor's and pick up a bottle of Tenn-o-sees finest.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've looked for it repeatedly in Michigan, but have never seen it in a store. But I'm also quite happy now with the Bacardi 151, which even the larger grocery stores stock.
I have to say, though, that I'm completely confused about its availability. One poster said:

In the United States, it is illegal to sell 190-proof Everclear in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
A second poster said almost the exact opposite:
According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. It can be purchased in Ohio but under severe restrictions.
Presumably, if it's illegal to sell it in those states, it would also be illegal to buy it in those states. . .
So. . . ?
Bob

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Everclear at 190 proof is available here in Connecticut with no restrictions other than being of legal age. Another brand commonly found here is Graves, also at 190 proof. Most liquor stores here sell it.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I am pretty sure you meant those are the states it is illegal in. I have never had any problem buying it in any of the states I have lived in, including now in Colorado.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I have bought it in Ohio and Michigan at the liquor store with no problems.
You must have bought the 151 proof then.
I have a bottle for cleaning my pipes, and boy is that some scary stuff. I know some kids at the college I went to use to put it in the punch and cover the flavor with kool-aid and such. Two glasses would easily knock these stick figure gals on their rear and three would put even a big guy down.

Status
Not open for further replies.