Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Everclear Prices

(39 posts)
  1. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

I have a friend of mine going to the states next week. I was wondering how much I should give him, and the size(s) it comes in. Cheers.

Warren
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

Oh, and my apologies, i'd like to know where the easiest place is to get it....

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Everclear, AFAIK, is not sold anywhere in Maine. Where "in the States" is your friend going?

IIRC, a "fifth" size bottle sells for between $15 and $25, State/local prices differ, depending on where he buys it.

Some people think it's expensive, but using it for pipe maintenance only, that bottle will last you for many years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I Know they have it in Indiana, but to be honest with you I dont know if they will allow it back on the plane. May have to ship it back.

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

He's driving to Pennsylvania.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"Consumers may legally purchase Everclear in Pennsylvania but must first obtain a permit for it and agree that it shall not be consumed as beverage alcohol and shall not be furnished for any reason to another person." *

In the United States, it is illegal to sell 190-proof Everclear in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

* Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board: "Application for permit to purchase grain alcohol."

So, if you friend is driving through a State that is not on the "illegal" list above here, he can buy it on the way -- all he has to do is stop in a metro area and ask for directions to a large liquor store.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt that he will be able to get it on the plane.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

Cheers everybody. I let him know the scoop, the easiest thing is probably to ask his relative he's visiting to get a permit now, buy it next week and drive it back home.......if not I can deal with some super strong rum, lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. carbz13

carbz13

Login to Send PM

Sadly Everclear is a no-go in PA...it sucks having to go to Jersey or Delaware to get it. Depending where he's driving to/from he might be able to get it in a neighboring state.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. It can be purchased in Ohio but under severe restrictions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I cut and pasted the wiki data in my post above.

Is it up-to-date? Who knows, right?

Good idea having the relative check on the permit thing for Pennsylvania -- if that works it would be easiest.

I'd make sure it's a go before he departs, that way if PA is a no-go for the Everclear, you can use the internet to find a liquor store in a state that's on the way for him -- and even call the store to make sure they sell it and have it in stock, then print out directions to the store for him to take along.

I hate ass-scratching then head shaking and disappointment. I prefer to plan and expect a sure thing

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're in Alberta, you can buy Everclear by the bottle in most liquor stores. I use it to make limoncello and orancello in addition to pipe maintenance. I'm assuming your friend is driving from either Ontario or Quebec and I don't know about liquor laws there. Saskatchewan doesn't allow it, unfortunately.

Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have bought it in Ohio and Michigan at the liquor store with no problems.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

Don't know about the 190 proof version but I can find it here in Connecticut.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Here in Illinois I can go 10 miles up the road and buy it by the fifth or in a pint sized bottle. I buy the smaller pint bottles and can do salt and alcohol treatments on the nastiest of pipes, plus stem and shank scrubbing, on 20 some odd pipes and still have a quarter of a bottle left over, and I can buy it for about $7.50 a bottle.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote] Don't know about the 190 proof version but I can find it here in Connecticut.

+1

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in Pennsylvania and the only way to purchase Everclear is with a doctor's prescription. However, one can buy it in Delaware with no problems in any size. I bought a 1.75 litre bottle there for about $30 a year ago.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahem, in Tennessee we don't bother with Everclear. We just go next door to our neighbor's and pick up a bottle of Tenn-o-sees finest.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've looked for it repeatedly in Michigan, but have never seen it in a store. But I'm also quite happy now with the Bacardi 151, which even the larger grocery stores stock.

I have to say, though, that I'm completely confused about its availability. One poster said:

In the United States, it is illegal to sell 190-proof Everclear in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

A second poster said almost the exact opposite:

According to a wikipedia page about Everclear, you can only buy 190 proof Everclear in the following states: California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. It can be purchased in Ohio but under severe restrictions.

Presumably, if it's illegal to sell it in those states, it would also be illegal to buy it in those states. . .

So. . . ?

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everclear at 190 proof is available here in Connecticut with no restrictions other than being of legal age. Another brand commonly found here is Graves, also at 190 proof. Most liquor stores here sell it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. surlysoul

surlysoul

Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure you meant those are the states it is illegal in. I have never had any problem buying it in any of the states I have lived in, including now in Colorado.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

I have bought it in Ohio and Michigan at the liquor store with no problems.

You must have bought the 151 proof then.

I have a bottle for cleaning my pipes, and boy is that some scary stuff. I know some kids at the college I went to use to put it in the punch and cover the flavor with kool-aid and such. Two glasses would easily knock these stick figure gals on their rear and three would put even a big guy down.

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can buy it in San Antonio at every liquor store you can find. I hate that simple things like this are so hard to find elsewhere. Yeah it's dangerous... So are toothpicks.

Took a shot of it some years ago as a right of passage sort of thing. Never again.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New York is a 'no-no'

New Jersey ok

that's where I got mine

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. misu

misu

Login to Send PM

Wow! I didn't know the stuff was so regulated. And I live in NY! Maybe we're just taxed to death. The Everpure was on the shelf, right next to the Spiritus. A 5th of Everpure was $17.99 and the Spiritus was $19.99. Both prices do not include sales tax, which varies by county. I pay 8.9% sales tax and is one of the highest in the state.
    My best suggestion would be that your friend find a liquor store in the State of NY on the way down to PA. I think, the prices will increase, considerably, the closer you get to New York City.
    It's a beautiful time of year to visit. I hope the leaves and flowers are in bloom for your friend. Otherwise, that starkness can be gloomy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. misu

misu

Login to Send PM

New York is a 'no-no'

Maybe around NYC? Everything is more regulated downstate. I think up by Vermont it would be like here in WNY. Or, I'm just really lucky the my local liquor store had it.

Ahem, in Tennessee we don't bother with Everclear. We just go next door to our neighbor's and pick up a bottle of Tenn-o-sees finest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Misu

You were able to get it in NY?

I'm told illegal to be sold in NY. I had originally tried several liquour stores in NYC then afterwards upper Westchester.

Funny how that is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't buy Everclear in Idaho but you can in (of all places) Washington! If you order it online at http://www.totalwine.com , they will allow you to pick it up at the North Spokane location, or anywhere they have an outlet. Go figure!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make sure he buys only the 190 proof version, otherwise I buy 151 Bacardi. Unless he/she can go to TN or NC & buy some Shine that burns blue in a spoon!

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't buy Everclear in Idaho but you can in (of all places) Washington! If you order it online at http://www.totalwine.com , they will allow you to pick it up at the North Spokane location, or anywhere they have an outlet. Go figure!

I'm also in Idaho, but I live next door to Jackson, Wy. where I can pick it up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm also in Idaho, but I live next door to Jackson, Wy. where I can pick it up.

trailspike, you can buy it in Montana. That would be your closest source, according to the Idaho State Liquor store I visited. In the post above they omitted Montana as a seller of Everclear.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. misu

misu

Login to Send PM

Misu

You were able to get it in NY?

I'm told illegal to be sold in NY. I had originally tried several liquour stores in NYC then afterwards upper Westchester.

Funny how that is.

Yes. Right down the street from me. I live in WNY. NYC has Mr. Bloomberg, I'm not surprised that it can't be bought there. or near there. Maybe it can be bought west and north of Albany. The state seems to be less progressive in those areas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have bought two bottles so far at my local liquor store. No permit, no warnings from the store. Paid my $20, got my cleaning liquid. I've also used Devil's Springs 160 proof. Not the 190 proof of Everclear, but good enough for cleaning. It just takes a little longer to dry your pipes afterwards. Also, I think it was in the last year or two that Everclear has been legal in NY.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

Wow, I really started quite a conversation! Thanks for all the information everybody!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was speaking to a friend last night who told me that in states with package stores ILO state-run liquor stores, you can just ask for Everclear and most package stores sell it from under the counter -- if it's not displayed on the shelves.

Anyway, best of luck -- a bottle of Everclear shouldn't be that hard to find driving through to PA and back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pay 27.99 for the 1.75 that is 150 proof here in Florida. I used to get the 190 when I lived in R.I. I actually did a shot of the 190 one time at a Portuguese fair, never will do that again, that stuff is only fit for cleaning pipes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1 Liter 190 proof is 14$ in SW LA. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. scottishjohn

scottishjohn

Login to Send PM

By the looks of it, we (USA) may not need the ATF
    much longer. First get rid of all the guns. Overtax the
    tobbaco.(That will always be a great Govt. cash cow)
    Eliminate Everclear access. No further need for ATF.
    The IRS can now deal with those remaining issues.
    The polititions
    have been busy when most of us were not looking!
    If we can just win the proverbial "Drug War". There will
    be no further need for the DEA as well. If someone
    developes a cure for cancer.....No more grants, no
    need to milk those cash cows any longer. Clearly
    headed in the right direction. If we could only get
    our athorities off their butts to deal properly with
    our mentally sick.
    UTOPIA WILL BE HERE SOON. Is anyone paying attention?

"I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do I am even more interesting.
    .....................Keep smoking my friends..........................."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

skapunk1, you started a good conversation.

It helped clarify what states carry grain alcohol, in spite of information that's been circulated to the contrary.

In my part of Connecticut I pay $15.99 for 750ml of Everclear 190 proof. They also carry 1.75 liter bottles. I know they sell the larger bottle of Graves for $33.99.

A lot of people buy it to make limoncello or other flavored liquors. Cut it with water and it tastes like vodka.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   papajoe, mso489, kcvet67, pitchfork, tabriar, dmcmtk, crazypipe, daimyo, darwin, sablebrush52, andya27, lestrout