PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpipe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2017
Chapin, SC
Just saw a Muttonchop episode of deep cleaning the pipe. Mr Chop has a cleaning solution of grain alcohol and liqueur and said it helped with the flavor of the next bowl smoked. Has anybody tried grain alcohol and bourbon mixture? Will the bourbon do any damage to the pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Won't do any damage, and will impart a nice flavor. I personally use moonshine.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
No damage to the inside of the pipe whatsoever; I use pure grain alcohol [Everclear] with bristled pipe cleaners to do my deep cleanings, and have never had issues. Just use caution that you don't allow the fire water to drip on the finish of the pipe, it will strip stain and the like.
I've also used Tennesse whiskey, and it imparts an unique 'freshness' to the pipe, while pure grain alcohol is neutral.
Keep 'em clean, and puff on!

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
To clarify: I use the pure grain alcohol/bristle treatment with the inside of the shank.
I use pure grain alcohol dipped Q-tips inside the bowl (while holding the pipe in a soft, dry cloth), swab the bowl with soft pipe cleaners, and then place a plug of paper towel into the bowl, so I can then work the shank with the alcohol and bristle cleaners, finishing/drying with soft tapered or regular pipe cleaners.
I'm sure someone will come along and correct me, but this is my ritual for pipes that have had a good time in rotation. I deep clean 'em take and then 'em out out of rotation for bit to dry thouroghly.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I have been using McCormick's Rum Extract....which can be found in any large food market, in the Baking Section....for years to clean stems and smoke holes.
Also, you can use any grain alcohol products that you have on hand, high-proof vodkas, rums, brandy, etc. Many liquor/wine stores sell very small, personal nip-size bottles, of many popular liquors and liqueurs/cordials, etc. for a few bucks....so no need to buy a large, expensive bottle on booze that you might not drink.
I love to dip a pipe cleaner into some "Deep Eddy-Peach Flavored Vodka" and run it through pipe stems. Yum. I buy the small-size nips, and it lasts a long time.
Pipe smokers have many for "Everclear". Just stick to the GRAIN ALCOHOL (drinkable) products.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I would suggest no smoking while working Ever clear the flumes will go off like a bomb!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I get done with a bowl, I dump the dottle on the floor, pour my drink into the pipe, then pass out with it in my hand. Works great.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always used Everclear as that was how I was taught to clean my pipes. I am sitting here trying to think who told me to use everclear and for the life of me I cannot remember. I would think any type of 80 proof or better would be fine. I definitely would never use rubbing alcohol as to my mind, if I can't drink it, I don't want to smoke it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or in the case of Cosmic's then-fiance, dish-washing liquid, too! (Thereby hangs an old tale.) :)
I bet it's a story worth re-telling.... Sounds promising. Esp. for blowing bubbles. (Though "Bubbles" could be a cute nick for Cosmic)

Oct 7, 2016
It was early on, and I didn't want to waste the good stuff!
Jack Daniels and George Dickel don't qualify as good stuff? I can understand using bourbon in pipe cleaning, but not Jack or George.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Jack Daniels and George Dickel don't qualify as good stuff?
My intrest, beside pipes, includes photography, film, and spirits. We have a couple hundred bottles in our collection, and Jack is mostly used for cooking and mixing; it provides a raw and peppery character that excels in certain applications.
I'm not criticizing Jack or Dickel, because a persons taste in whiskey is as varied (and valid) as their taste in tobacco blends! I just don't enjoy those particular selections neat. ... my wife, on the other hand...
Edit: We also buy Jack Daniels by the 1.75L, which makes it cheaper to 'waste' on pipes. :puffy:

Oct 7, 2016
@Jeffrey Deal,agreed re people varied tastes in spirits. I was born in the Volunteer State and except for a total of about 20 years spent in exile in Florida and Georgia, have lived my life here. You might like Prichard's if you have not tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.