PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ever sold a pipe, then, months later, you say, "Now why in the hell did I do that"?

Here's mine (crying over split milk):

A 1937 Dunhill PO Shell.
1350607723568-1.jpg

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
No. Come to think of it, I've never sold a pipe. I gifted one. Of course, the pipes on my rack mostly wouldn't garner lunch money.
That is a stunning pipe you let go. You should be kicking yourself and asking for volunteers to help. :twisted:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I enjoy ambiguous phrasing. I've sold pipes that I regret buying, but have never had regrets about selling them. The buyers have always received a pipe that is clean and in better cosmetic condition than it was when I first bought it. The pipes go to new homes where they will be appreciated (I hope!).

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Definitely, but usually they were sold for good reason. They looked great but didn't smoke great being the usual one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yes I have. This Former straight grain was light as a feather and smoked great, it is my biggest regret. I had gotten out of my pipes for a while and sold off a bunch of them. This along with a Castello shape 49 Calabash Collection KK Fiamatta was the other one I regret selling.
Here is the Former.

This other Former I regret selling back when I did only for the reason that it would sell for a large amount in today's market. It was too big and heavy which is why I sold it but today it would go for well over a grand as Former did very few free hands and the grain was amazing. Back when I bought it( 2000 or 2001) the retail was around 800.00, it only cost me a box of Cohiba Siglo IV's which I was into for about 200.00

Aug 14, 2012
Never. Hi Kashmir, good to hear from you. I have gotten my Ebony 45S. It was autographed by the maker, Hiromi Sakanashi, in Japanese. At least I hope it is an autograph, not a curse.

Aug 1, 2012
Almost did it with a Comoy's that I love but wasn't giving enough time. The one I slightly regret getting rid of is a Kirsten. It smoked like poo for me but I keep convincing myself it would have worked because it looked so cool...and was an earlier model than I realized.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks for your responses. Harris, those are some beauties! But we all make mistakes sometimes. I even thought of contacting the new owner. But decided against it. As a deal is a deal. Truth is, the pipe just did not smoke well for me, despites its looks and rarity. I had it a year and tried various blends, but then gave up and sold it. But sometimes a tinge of regret creeps in. Human nature, I guess.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've sold 4 pipes and 3 of them were estate pipes that I had previously purchased off ebay. The other one was from a trade. I didn't smoke those 4 very often if at all, so I sold them. I used the money to buy my half bent egg Adana Turkey Meerschaum pipe and some tobacco. I definitely don't regret that decision.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have never sold a pipe. I put one here on PM to trade one time and backed out , pulled it before got an offer that I couldn't refuse . Damn I'm glad I did !!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kashmir, thanks. If you are at this long enough eventually we all make a mistake with a pipe in most cases. At the time I sold mine I was not into my pipes so it did not hurt at all, it was only years after and I got back into them when I said, I wish I had a couple back as I knew how good they smoked. I am so happy with my pipes now that maybe I would not think they were as good as what I have now, memory is a funny thing.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I sold a bunch of carved meers to a fellow pipe smoker around the time I was about to get married. Now, forty plus years later, I wish I had them back, but I really can't recall whether or not they were good smokers, so the pain is not too great.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've sold a bunch of pipes in the past three years, but truly no regrets. I typically sell something only to get one in a better grade or condition, etc.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Yes, it was a 314 Peterson donegal rocky that was my first real pipe. I bought it from The Briary. I have another one but it's not the same. The bowl is skinny. You know, you could look at five different pipes of the same make and they'd all be different.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
A partially rusticated Mastro de Paja bent Rhodesian. It was one that I picked off the bay back in the late 90's. Nothing fancy, about $100 pipe, but it always smoked great.
When I went through my few years of break from pipe smoking, I got talked in to trading it off to fuel another one of my AD's. At the time I didn't think twice but now that I'm enjoying my pipes full time again, I really do miss that Mastro.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Only 1, an Ardor Urano 2006 Fantasy, was in a pinch and needed fast cash

Regret that $200.00 sale, wish I had it back, great smoker and fit my hand perfectly.
Tom

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I guess you could call me a hoarder. I tend to hang on to things even if I'm not in love with them. But with the price of tobacco, I may have to rethink that.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Nope I'm not quick to sell and when I do it's because I can't stand the pipe anymore. My last purge I got rid of all my gurglers, the newest was about 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.