PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Silly question but a point of curiosity, has anyone ever smoked chewing tobacco,

and what was the result, how was it? I realize this is off the wall. I would expect

chewing tobacco to be too moist, too large cut, and not cured for a pipe, but I

thought I'd ask.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I thought that I had seen some ropes and plugs advertised as both smoking and chewing tobacco. Other than those options, the old Beech Nut chew that my grandpa used to pop in his cheek seemed WAY too moist to ever be smokable.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Funny you say that, Eric. I tried it in 7th grade - I wrapped some Beech-Nut Wintergreen long-leaf "side-chew" in some notebook paper and tried to smoke that. Took more BTU's than a Bessemer converter to get anything out of it, and what there was tasted like a campfire of old rotted wood with some Wint-O-Green Lifesavers sprinkled on top.
Not really the spirit of the OP, but an entertaining memory nonetheless.... :)

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
A few years ago, I discovered a dried out pouch of Red Man in the bottom of my hiking pack. I had an old Grabow Duke kicking around even though I wasn't into pipes back then. I packed a bowl and am confident in saying that it was recognizable as tobacco. Not good, not bad, just there.

I've seen that the local Fred Meyer sells Days Work plug and I've been tempted to try it in a pipe. At $9 for what promises to be a mediocre experience, I can't quite bring myself to do it. Not a lot of money, but not a lot of hope in it being a pleasant smoke either.

Patrick O'brian writes in his Aubrey/Maturin series how some sailors smoked their tobacco and some chewed it. I've wondered if they used different curing methods or if it all came out of the same twist.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Levi Garret in a Cob - cant wait to see that in the What are you Smoking" thread. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad let me chew a little of his 'baccy when I was about 14. In small quantities, it was interesting but

seemed to take its burn into my stomach. A little like eating the hot pepper in your Thai soup.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Most of the chewing tobaccos I have had experience are so moist I don't see how it the world you'd get it to light without leaving out to dry for a LONG time. They tend to be heavily sweetened as well, to enhance the flavor. Even if you did get it lit and going I don't see how it would be enjoyable at all.
I haven't touched a bag of chew in over 15 years. Sometimes I do miss that sweet flavor of my old Lancaster and Levi Garrett.

Oct 12, 2014
Cotton Boll...all the time. It's a favorite. Back in the day ropes & plugs were often marked " for Chew or Pipe"
G&H STILL markets all their ropes as chew or pipe. They work for both. I currently have a days work plug drying. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I did it once. Once. It made me half crazy.
One night I smoked chewin' tabaccy

An' it made me go out with Betty McLackey

She drank my gin and told me no

She was a whore. She hurt me so.

So if'n you smoke that chewin' tabaccy,

Just watch out for Betty McLackey.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm pretty sure Gramps smoked Days 'O Work plug that he would carve off and hand rub. I can remember the cakes of tobacco both in his hands and at the counters of many a 'convenience' store back in those days. I think people chewed that stuff too.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Only a guy named Pipestud could survive that...I hear he is the Chuck Norris of pipesmokers.
- trailboss
Yes, I did survive, Trailboss... but barely. And that, sir, will be the subject of my next blog on my website.
Pipestud

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
10qhsb6.jpg

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Old Liberty by the now defunct American Tobacco Co. was labeled Long Cut smoke or chew. Gramps did them both, tried both ways a very disagreeable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.