PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
A Ken pipe. Got any info? Has a SP on one side an KEN an Pat Apld. on the other an Ken on the stem.

olnBlwJ.jpg

peoyeRM.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's going on with the stinger, or is it a filter of some kind? I've never seen anything quite so bulky in the stem.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's got to be pretty old. In the 30's-40's there was a big competition especially with American makers, to have the ultimate stinger filter contraptions.
Pretty cool piece of history. I too dig the green stem.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The Ken pipe was offered by the Kenilworth Pipe Company of Chicago. It was introduced in late 1938, but actually not heavily marketed until the next year. It really gathered steam when Faber, Coe & Gregg took up distribution.
The President of Kenilworth was Joel Starrels (1891-1986). Starrels' day job was as a partner in a brokerage working on the Chicago Board of Trade. He must have done very well there, since in later years he and his wife donated millions of dollars of modern art to various Chicago institutions.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was hoping that the suburb of Kenllworth was connected, but probably not:

Wiki:

Kenilworth was founded in 1889 when Joseph Sears purchased 223.6 acres of land consisting of several farms between the Chicago and North Western Railroad and Lake Michigan for $150,300. Sears and several of his associates formed The Kenilworth Company to execute his suburban dream

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Enablers you all are... I got my ebay Ken pipe today. Just because. I couldn't resist a pipe for 7 dollars, oddball like me and named like me. :D
The bowl is in good shape, should clean up OK. The oddity innards are rather sad though. I did get the thing taken apart. The patent shows all the parts, including the leather washer and wood screws! I cleaned the stem (it is lucite) with scrubbing bubbles, which loosened all the crap without etching the stem. The 'bubbles' do eat hands though. I will use gloves next time.
My pipe has a nice amber colored stem. I will clean it up and repair it, but probably will just leave out the odd 'condenser'. I may install a new longer draft tube since the piece in the bowl of mine is broken. It is just a simple aluminum tube. Might use stainless as a replacement.
36303096175_6003412e33_z_d.jpg

I will start a new thread when we get our house move over and I have time to finish the repair.
Mine is made like the patent drawing, only one 'bell'. The screws actually came right out. The retaining washer under the screw heads is broken in half, so I will need to machine a replacement when I get my lathe set up.
36136579482_464cc72ea4_z_d.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
A man of his word. Cool! I haven't smoked mine. Just realized I had in a box of uncleaned pipes. Let us know how it smokes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats not a filter or a trap! Its simply the top of Dr Who's Sonic Screw Driver that got stuck in the pipe whilst he was trying to clean the shank! :rofl:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
:lol:
You are probably right. It was STUCK in the stem, my guess is that is what broke the tube. Luckily, I didn't damage the stem getting the thing out.
Oh, the thick ring behind the aluminum one is leather, and the patent tells exactly how to make a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.