Ever read (not smoked) The Haunted Bookshop?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
I don't know, but I suspect C&D named Haunted Bookshop after the book by Christopher Morley, published in 1919. It is a relatively quick read with an amusing little plot, but the pipe smoker who enjoys to read will really enjoy this book, plot aside. Just a quick quote from the book:
It was very different from such bookstores as he had been accustomed to patronize. Two stories of the old house had been thrown into one: the lower space was divided into little alcoves; above, a gallery ran round the wall, which carried books to the ceiling. The air was heavy with the delightful fragrance of mellowed paper and leather surcharged with a strong bouquet of tobacco. In front of him he found a large placard in a frame:
THIS SHOP IS HAUNTED by the ghosts

Of all great literature, in hosts;
We sell no fakes or trashes.

Lovers of books are welcome here,

No clerks will babble in your ear,
Please smoke--but don't drop ashes!
Browse as long as you like.

Prices of all books plainly marked.

If you want to ask questions, you'll find the proprietor where the tobacco smoke is thickest.

We pay cash for books.

We have what you want, though you may not know you want it.
Malnutrition of the reading faculty is a serious thing.
Let us prescribe for you.
By R. & H. MIFFLIN,

Proprs.

http://literatureproject.com/haunted-boohshop/index.htm

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
This looks like a fun read. Here is the link to Project Gutenberg, that lets you download hundreds of books that have expired copywrites.
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/172

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Read and loved both and have never been without the copies my dad gave me years ago. One of the few reads I return to from time to time.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have started reading this and really enjoy it. Thanks for the introduction.
Guess what blend I will be smoking this weekend!

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
It's an absolutely delightful book for the pipe smoker. Morley was an amazing guy. Not only a writer, journalist, producer/director for the theater and a pipeman, but he also founded the Baker Street Irregulars Sherlock Holmes Society, the first and largest of its kind. Read up on him; a fascinating character.

Status
Not open for further replies.