Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Ever Have A Blend "Click" And Be Everything You've Been Looking For?

(25 posts)
  1. algenib

algenib

Login to Send PM

I finally tried SG Full Virginia Flake, and it's just perfect. I won't go on about all the notes, as enough has been said about FVF already, but I finally found a thick, cool, sweet, straight Virginia, and I just had to share with people who understand how satisfying this is.

I started smoking a pipe when I was 18, after I was gifted one by my mother for my birthday, and quickly went straight to English blends after a tin or two of aros. I wanted to prove I legitimately enjoyed the experience, and wasn't just some affected teenager, pretending to be classy just because I owned a hunk of briar. But I never quite got on with English blends. I enjoy them, sure, but eventually I gave up pipe smoking all together for a couple of years after I grew tired of smoking heavy, complicated blends every day.

I'd never read too many favorable things about cobs until I stumbled on this forum, and after hearing they offered great smokes, I decided to get a few and try out some Virginia blends. And I'm so glad I did. They were exactly what I was looking for, but I was still chasing that perfect tobacco until I decided to buy a tin of FVF. It's everything I've wanted in a tobacco, even if it's not the most complex blend around.

I'm just really happy, and was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. andypandy

andypandy

Login to Send PM

Don't think I've had the pleasure of a similar experience yet, but I'm glad you had one and chose to share it with us. Congratulations and enjoy.

I'll be including SG FVF in my next TAD.

Anders Sandum
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums!

As I look back over my past adventures with pipes and tobacco,
    I think I can say that many blends have "clicked" as my tastes have evolved.

If you ever want a change of pace from FVF, try SG/Medium Virginia Flake.
    (In the tin format it's called Golden Glow.) Same quality.

Feel the itch for more complexity? SG/St. James Flake. Outstanding VaPer.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had similar experiences with McClelland's Deep Hollow and also as Aromatics go I really like Black Cordial, its easy to smoke smells good and actually tastes like something. A rarity for Aromatics.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FVF comes up Sooooo much ... and I have yet to throw it in a TAD. It sounds right up my alley too!

As far as a "click" tobacco, I'll say +1 Cortez ... and many clicks to pass brothers!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The first bowl of Dunhill's London Mixure I had was transformative, it was the most Oriental forward blend I had tried up until then. The complexities of flavor were so interesting and delicious that I immediately began to stock it, as I still do to this day. It isn't my absolute favorite tobacco, but when I get a craving for lots of Orientals that is the tin I reach for.

Highly Reccomended!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. puffdoggie

puffdoggie

Login to Send PM

I've been wandering through the aromatic forest and Nording Hunters Blend Labrador came close but it is a little goopy. Then I found 4th Generation 1957. Nirvana!

Dave

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. algenib

algenib

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendations and welcome, Cortez! I'll definitely add those to my next TAD order. I'm especially interested in the St. James, but it looks like P&C is out of stock for the time being. Hope that changes soon.

philobeddoe - I've avoided oriental forward blends something fierce for some reason. I've never really understood why. Maybe because I just don't see many people talking about them, so I never gave them much thought. Definitely going to throw a tin of LM in the basket and see how I like it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few months ago I tried GH Bob's Chocolate Flake for the first time. From the first puff this blend just nailed everything I love in a tobacco. I love how the latakia provides just the right level of smokiness along with the virginias and hints of cocoa that come and go throughout the bowl. Nothing like a typical aromatic at all. For me it's just perfect.

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First of all, Al, welcome to the forum. We're all mighty glad to have you with us. I think I felt that way the first time I tried Frog Morton. Of course, the first time I tried a pipe, it was one I liberated from my father's desk, along with some of his tobacco. It wasn't an "aha" moment, but I do remember thinking: "you know, this stuff is pretty good."
    As you go on, you will discover many more wonderful things in the world of pipe smoking. Thank you so much for sharing this first one with us, and we hope you'll be able to do so again and again over the coming years.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum first off! As much as FVF gets talked about around here, you'd think I would have tried it by now, but I haven't. I'm sure I will at some point though.
    As for the experience, I'd say I've had that with blends in several different genres. To name a few, Mac Baren "Navy Flake" and "Roll Cake", McClelland "Blue Mountain" Frog Morton Cellar, On The Town and Original", and H&H "Mazatec". I've tried a lot of blends, some I liked and some I didn't, but a few have come to be outstanding in my mind! There are more than the ones I just named, but we'd be here all day if I went on about all of them, lol!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, the only blend that has really clicked with me is Altadis Blue Note. It's an aro that I've been smoking for 8 years now. To me, it's everything a pipe tobacco is supposed to taste and smell like. I would guess that's because when I would see a pipe smoker when I was a child that's what it smelled like to me. And I remember my grandfathers pipes smelled the same way. There are a few Virginias that I enjoy on occasion but I smoke blue note daily.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it was billy budd, didnt like it too much at first but once it airs out for a couple weeks in the jar it becomes the smokiest, latakiatastic tobacco I've ever had. Zero tongue bite as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm one of those guys who have yet to try FVF or Escudo...that'll change when I get my order from 4noggins tomorrow. I really clicked with McC VAs, especially Dark Star...deep, rich, and smooth. One that I smoked but didn't like at first is SG BBF. After giving it a try some months later, it's one of my top VA flakes. Two other flakes that clicked with me right away are Reiner Long Golden Flake and Heinrich's Golden Sliced. An oriental that hit all of the notes for me is McC Drama Reserve. So many terrific flakes and blends out there to try! Next TAD will include the well recommended McC #24, a VA and Drama leaf blend. The adventure of it all!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

I've had several that have hit me as perfect then something comes along like a change in the weather and something else seems perfect right then too. At different times, it's been SG St James Flake, Condor Long Cut (my current favorite but with supply problems), Sextant, and Lancer Slices. For a while, I think of cellaring that one tobacco exclusively and then I move on.

I equate it all to food and drink. I have favorites (and more than one thing) but sometimes you are just in the mood for something else specific. That's why I have 21 jars on my shelf currently.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for the St. James Flake. I have yet to find another tobacco that satisfies the way it does. Every time I think I have found something better I realize I was wrong and go back to it.

I agree with jgriff on the variety, having a bunch different jars I dip into, but never stray far from St. James Flake.

For English blends, the first that really clicked with me was Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brigham Klondike Gold. First time I tried it I thought it was pretty much a perfect straight VA flake.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brigham Klondike Gold. First time I tried it I thought it was pretty much a perfect straight VA flake.

You and Harris done stocking up on Klondike Gold? I would like to try that one sometime.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually JUST had this happen with some Black Shag in a cob. I don't know what it was, since this isn't a terribly uncommon combo for me, but today it was a damn near perfect smoke. It probably didn't hurt that it's gorgeous out right now (which is a welcome change from typical January-in-Maine weather, thus improving pretty much everything about the day so far, outlook on life included), and my normally crappy and noisy neighborhood was nice and quiet. Hoorah!

~seanMoses~
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. algenib

algenib

Login to Send PM

I'll be adding all these tobaccos recommended to my TAD list. Really excited to try them all.

Moses - whereabouts in Maine are you? I'm living in FL at the moment, but I'll be moving up to Portland soon-ish.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this thread to be particularly interesting. It should be subtitled de gustibus. Here are a number of smokers of varying degrees of experience telling us about the tobacco that really sent them soaring to the heights. It proves a point: we're all different, our dna varies, we have different sensory perceptions, and what titillates the senses of one leaves the other flat. And the good news is that we have so many different tobaccos to meet these needs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You and Harris done stocking up on Klondike Gold? I would like to try that one sometime.

I have been done for a couple of months and I believe Harris is the same.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have done that with Ennerdale and Best Brown #2, the only baccy I have bought in large quantities ( 1 kg at a time ) based solely on reviews and not on sampling.
    While FVF is an excellent baccy, I found it to require way too much fondling ( proper moisture level and pipe chamber size/shape ) to be enjoyable for my taste. Granted, I only had one tin of it, perhaps I need to buy a 250g box and jar it for a while, and my opinion of it might change.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

Rcstan - The nice part of Best Brown #2 is that you may not have it directly but you probably had it as a base tobacco in any number of other G&H blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FVF is also my fav flake, everyone says BBF is better, but I think it is much worse.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, ben88, hoosierpipeguy, warren, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell, philobeddoe, pepesdad1