PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I have a Chacom 268 that I purchased new from smoking pipes when I unknowingly stumbled into their store some three years ago. It's one of my favorite pipes as it used to be a very good smoker. However, in the last 7 months or so, everything I put in it smokes wet. I mean very wet. Like two puffs and it's gurgling wet. Then I run a pipe cleaner down it and two puffs later it's gurgling again. I rarely smoke any aromatics, I keep my tobacco quite dry and I've broken the habit of holding my pipe in my mouth while I smoke. Still yet, I cannot figure this out. Just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them. There's a decent cake in the pipe but it's kind of top heavy because the moisture almost airways prevents it from sticking in the bottom third, no matter how much tobacco I put in it. This is also happening with every blend I put in it, even some that used to smoke very well in it.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Yes, I have one that I love, but it was the biggest pain in the ass. No matter what I smoked it. Did all the standard tobacco suggestions..nothing. Draw was open and passed the whole cleaner myth...nothing. Finally Nording Keystones, I was able to put a few inside the tenon with room, and like magic dry smoke. I see that you can also use this inside the bowl, before you put tobacco in. And I have never noticed any odd taste, other than pure bliss.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Like I said, you learn something everyday on this forum ... so drwatson, what is Nording Keystones? Not that I have a problem with a wet smoking pipe, but it's good to know for the future!

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
@madox07 Here’s a link that discusses then.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/nording-keystones

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Well that's the answer I was looking for. I'll be throwing done of those in the cart on my next order. And thank you also dottiewarden for the advice, but I've smoked probably 20 1/3 bowls and still no cake has begun to form. Also used the pipe for my perique blends for about 30 or 40 bowls and the bottom third is stupid spicy, so it was hell to get through those partial bowls. Like straight black pepper. That's why I was curious if there were any other ways to help out.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo wlro
Coincidentally, I have a super wet smoking Chacom, a Grand Cru full bent. Contrary to the conventional wisdom that a pipe has to be dry smoking to be tasty, this pipe is one of the tastiest pipes I have (of several hundred). It is so wet that after a dozen puffs, I can tilt it and drops of condensate will fall out.
hp

les

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
The gurgle drives me crazy, hence why I started out with a lot of kaywoodies. Just unscrew and wipe and you're back in business. Crazy thing is that my chacom really tastes nasty now that it smokes wet. And it smokes just as wet as you described

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Best way to fix a pipe that always smokes wet is to drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl to let the water out!
(Hey! Who threw that!) :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.